It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto's Roundup Diluted by 450-Fold is Still Toxic to DNA!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

New research released ahead of print and published in the journal Archives of Toxicology indicates that Roundup, the most common formulation of the herbicide glyphosate, is not only more toxic than its constituent ingredients, but is capable of damaging DNA within a human cell line when diluted down to 450-fold lower concentrations than presently used in GMO agricultural applications. In the researchers’ own words, Roundup has “genotoxic effects after short exposure to concentrations that correspond to a 450-fold dilution of spraying used in agriculture.”

i'm just dissemating the info here.

recently started paying more attention to Monsanto and their practices.

well i HOPE a lot of this stuff is fearmongering because i've read some scary articles lately and here's another one.

The chemical - glyphosate – is the highest selling herbicide in the world and has been identified as having a wide range of potential adverse health effects — largely minimized and/or under-reported — which include over two dozen diseases.

This new research sheds light on a fundamental problem associated with toxicological risk assessments of agrichemicals (and novel manmade chemicals in general), namely, these assessments do not take into account the reality of synergistic toxicologies, i.e. the amplification of harm associated with multiple chemical exposures occurring simultaneously. Moreover, toxicological risk assessments on novel chemicals are based on the concept of determining “an acceptable level of harm,” instead of protecting those who would be exposed to a chemical by implementing the precautionary principle, i.e. if there is reason to believe that a chemical could cause harm (determined by animal and in vitro studies) then they should be regulated as if they do cause harm to humans.

underlining mine

i completely agree.

Glyphosate exposure is now ubiquitous due to the fact that 88,000 tons of it were used in US in 2007 alone, and likely billions of additional pounds globally. Accumulating evidence indicates it is resistant to biodegradation and now contaminates the air, rain and groundwater throughout the areas where it has been applied.

In a groundbreaking study published in Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry last month, glyphosate, the active ingredient in the herbicide “Roundup,” is flowing freely into the groundwater in areas where it is being applied. The researchers found that 41% of the 140 groundwater samples taken from Catalonia Spain, had levels beyond the limit of quantification – indicating that, despite manufacturer’s claims, it does not break down rapidly in the environment, and is accumulating there in concerning quantities.

Source for article

Research and findings

groundbreaking study

thoughts?

man i don't even want to think about how many toxins our foods are getting sprayed with.

edit on 15-2-2012 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
wait, wait, Uranium Poisoning? I mean, WTF, do they add frigin Uranium to a pesticide?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by roaland
wait, wait, Uranium Poisoning? I mean, WTF, do they add frigin Uranium to a pesticide?

to be honest.

i was a bit stumped by that one as well.

but you got to log on to see the related article...

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

This is one of the few works related to the analysis of glyphosate in real groundwater samples and the presented data confirm that, although it has low mobility in soils, glyphosate is capable of reaching groundwater.

So they found that although this crap travels through the soil, instead of being filtered out, it actually reached the water tables? wow that's a Zombie Apocalypse just waiting to happen, throw in some good old fashion uranium poisoning and I'm game!
edit on 15-2-2012 by roaland because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Oh well, who needs DNA anyway right.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheCommentator
Oh well, who needs DNA anyway right.

Yeah!

We needs that crazy stuff right?

DNA is like your appendix, it's there but at the same time nor really usefull.

new topics

top topics

join