It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Utah "Strike Force" Honored for Copyright Raids

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Utah "Strike Force" Honored for Copyright Raids

www.theagitator.com

The video above depicts a police raid on the home of someone suspected of pirating music. It’s one of a number of raids conducted by a special copyright enforcement “strike force” set up by Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff.

The music industry couldn’t be happier.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Is it the job of the government and the police to be lap dogs to the entertainment industry? Raiding someone's home simply because they made a few too many copies of a CD.

More importantly, this video is a good example of the insane militarization of local police officers. The police state is here and the ground troops are in place.

www.theagitator.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Nice..

Another Witch hunt...

Will the US EVER stop? Seems to me the US is too focused in becoming the fourth reich.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I consider copyrights, patents and pyramid systems to be major crimes against humanity entrenching corruption and obscene wealth over the only legal thing, freedom and instrinsic, substantive equality.

So these are ultra mafia, gangster criminals to me and I would perform a citizens on them on sight if they identified!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by FSBlueApocalypse

Is it the job of the government and the police to be lap dogs to the entertainment industry? Raiding someone's home simply because they made a few too many copies of a CD.

No, its their job to uphold the law. If someone is breaking it, then they have an obligation to stop that where possible. The footage would suggest its far more than a few.

More importantly, this video is a good example of the insane militarization of local police officers. The police state is here and the ground troops are in place.

What's insane? They have taken reasonable measures - regarding body protection etc. Given that the individual inside has a disposition to breaknig the law for their own benefit, its quite reasonable to assume this may extend to unorthodox measures to prevent police access (dogs, weapons etc). We also don't know what intel may have been in place no this location.

I think your description of the video as "insane" and as depicting "militarization" and evidence of a "police state" is far more sensationalist than the contents of the video itself.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Hmm. A SWAT team for a downloader. Interesting. Now how about we focus on the real criminals - you know, drug manufacturers, sex ring traders and Congress. Just sayin'....

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by FSBlueApocalypse

Did you see how many empty cd spools were in that room? If someone made a few thousand copies of your work, taking money out of your pocket, would you be OK with that?

I do not agree with the aggressive manner in which the police executed this search warrant, but as a musician, I am glad someone is enforcing the law.

Stealing is wrong.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
....Meanwhile...the people making meth across the street are watching through their windows and laughing.

What a waste of man power and tax dollars.

I mean really? An entire strike force for cr infringement?

/sham

ETA: And imo giving these guys a gold record for conducting these raids whizzes all over the endeavors of the Actual artists who earned them. What a way to devalue those individuals and groups...sorry but these guys are Not in the same league as the Beatles, Pink Floyd, etc. etc.
edit on 14-2-2012 by clowdstalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
First it was drugs.

Then it was dairy products.

Now it's file sharing.

Wont be long before they're blowing in your door and jamming their rifles into your temples for farting.

When the nation is on the collapse it makes perfect sense to use resources in this way.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by clowdstalker

Perhaps if fewer people tried to commit fraud via pirating the police could spend more time dealing with meth labs etc.

Also, please provide evidence that similar or greater resources are not being used in the war on drugs.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
First it was drugs.
Then it was dairy products.
Now it's file sharing.
Wont be long before they're blowing in your door and jamming their rifles into your temples for farting.
When the nation is on the collapse it makes perfect sense to use resources in this way.

No, its taking other people's property and deciding you want the money they deserve to make from it.

Thats theft / fraud / copyright infringement. Not filesharing. Trivialise it all you like - its still a crime - both technically and morally.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ComeFindMe

This is the new argument for the losing "War" on Drugs - too many people are file sharing so we can't take down meth labs???? Please, tell me you aren't serious. It's easy to take dopwn a downloader - most 15 year old kids don't have rabid pit bulls and guns. Just sayin'.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I'll concede it's theft.

That still doesnt justify calling out the SWAT team.

You get less of a police response from straight up burglary.

Gross over-use of SWAT teams
edit on 14-2-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Fascism and pyramid systems are illegal crimes against humanity. The only laws are virtues, common law, of not harming others (and slavery, economic slavery and pyramid corporate rule is MASSIVE HARM), that are intrinsic principals of both freedom, and equality or the most ideal male energy wedded to an equal just caring system of the most ideal mother energy.

The rest is absolute bunk and crimes beyond belief. Anyone who works in a capacity to enforce these crimes isa also a criminal.

In other words Virtues count, most Laws are Crimes. And anyone carrying forth a crime is a criminal for they have not taken responsibility and put their conscience asleep to carry forth these crimes against humanity. There is no excuse. Wake Up!

The cosmic arrest team is coming in soon enough and I can't wait till this hellzone is over.
edit on 14-2-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Remember back in the day, when SWAT teams were only used for hostage situations and such? That is what they were created for, not kicking down any door for a bit of pot or some pirate BS.... And morons actually defend it, wow. Nonviolent people having their door kicked in by paramilitary troopers.... This is the world we live in, lock and load friends, lock and load.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
This is the world we live in, lock and load friends, lock and load.

I iz prepared...

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Here is the thing, even the studio's own studies show that piracy is at worst a wash for them. File sharing increases awareness and allows people more access. The studios themselves are in part to blame for this. If they weren't so resistant to change, such as allowing Netflix Instant easier access to new movies or not putting DRM on iTunes then piracy would be less of an issue.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by FSBlueApocalypse

A 'few' to many copies?
You might want to actually check into the facts

Here is your 'few' The strike force is targeting a band of ILLEGAL ALIENS

Utah SECURE Strike Force Cracks Down on Pirated Movie and Music Discs

I can see why they would want SWAT along for these Banditos

In this case I say

GO GET EM

edit on 14-2-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Seems its a HUGE problem - world wide

Camden piracy raid nets illegal DVDs and CDs

Pirated DVD Raids in the Philippines: TV Patrol ABS-CBN

Biggest illegal DVD & CD bust in Australian history

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Kyprian

I haven't said that at all. What I said was that obviously, if resources are being expended dealing with lesser crimes (but still crimes and only lesser by comparison) then inevitably less focus can be put on dealing with meth labs.

Find me any law enforcement officer - cop, swat, fbi - who would rather spend their time cracking down on copyright breakers than meth dealers and I will eat my hat.

<<   2 >>

join