It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama would slash $226 million in the year 2013 from NASA's Mars exploration program

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Muttley2012

Tell us why the failed bankers deserved more free money even after they rape their clients. Why the fired CEO's deserved hundreds of millions in bonuses to run a up a debt, they don't have to answer to. Yet everyone wants 100% disclosure from NASA that sees less than single individual that rip you off by trading debts and making fictitious money from it through some weird math us working citizens can't use.

Maybe you just have zero idea what you are commenting on, and this is a hit and run post. Congratulations. [snip]
edit on 14/2/12 by masqua because: Re,moved censor circumvention and a personal attack

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
reply to post by Muttley2012

Tell us why the failed bankers deserved more free money even after they rape their clients.

I never said they did. you tell me.

Why the fired CEO's deserved hundreds of millions in bonuses to run a up a debt, they don't have to answer to.

I never said they did. you tell me.

Yet everyone wants 100% disclosure from NASA that sees less than single individual that rip you off by trading debts and making fictitious money from it through some weird math us working citizens can't use.

What? I don't understand this portion of your rant. sounds like a bunch of nutter conspiracy junk. please clarify so that I may answer properly.

Maybe you just have zero idea what you are commenting on, and this is a hit and run post.

No, it's not a hit and run post. Furthermore, I know exactly what I am commenting on...go back and READ, jenius.
edit on 14-2-2012 by Muttley2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muttley2012
It wouldn't hurt my feelings AT ALL if Obama slashed 100% of NASA's budget for Mars exploration in favor of a "Restoring America" project. After all, there is no point in keeping your head in the clouds (much less, another planet) if you can't take care of problems at home first.

NASA is a luxury, not a necessity!

What is this "Restoring America" project? Haven't we already been doing that for the last four years with all these TRILLIONs of dollars in borrowed money?

I don't understand why planetary science is being asked to make all the cuts in NASA. I suspect there is a political motive somewhere, but it's hard to see what Obama gains by this. If these cuts were shared throughout NASA then no long term damage would be done. Instead the planetary science people are going to quit and retire and it will take years to recover that expertise.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloudyday
A commentator on NPR said this Obama budget is mostly a statement about his priorities because he knows it will go nowhere. So what does this say about Obama's priorities? I think it says he doesn't care about planetary science, because that is the only part of NASA that really got the axe.

It is a long-known fact that Obama does not care much about SLS and MPCV (as expected, these two got some cuts), and prefers commercial providers (these got a raise, think SpaceX). Seems like he does not care much about planetary science, either.

Frankly, I do think it is a very good budget proposal, disregarding that small cut to NASA budget as a whole. In an age of austerity, it is the best option.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloudyday

What is this "Restoring America" project? Haven't we already been doing that for the last four years with all these TRILLIONs of dollars in borrowed money?

anything that keep the money on Earth; specifically, the USA. When we have starving people in our streets, I could give a rats ass what is on or near Mars.

I don't understand why planetary science is being asked to make all the cuts in NASA.

Because we can't afford it. you want to chump up that cost? I don't.

I suspect there is a political motive somewhere, but it's hard to see what Obama gains by this.

What is the motive? I don't know. How about we worry about that while the privet sector takes over space exploration....as it should have been all along. What does Obama gain? Probably a little flexibility in an overspent budget.

If these cuts were shared throughout NASA then no long term damage would be done. Instead the planetary science people are going to quit and retire and it will take years to recover that expertise.

Are they going to quit? retire? AND THEN WHAT? collect unemployment? NO, they will take up new, more efficient employment in the private sector.

Like I said in my first post....NASA = luxury, not necessity.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Right, you keep thinking that.
neo.jpl.nasa.gov...
One day it will be a necessity, and if people like you have your way, we will not be able to defend ourselves or even know that we need defending. There will always be people in need on earth, the purpose of government is not to eradicate all need and hunger.

jra

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

anything that keep the money on Earth; specifically, the USA.

That's exactly what spending money on NASA does. It creates high tech jobs in the US. The Apollo program employed around 400,000 people. There are also positive economic benefits that are gained by spending money on large projects like that.

I recommend you give this article a read: The Economic Impacts of the U.S. Space Program

What is the motive? I don't know. How about we worry about that while the privet sector takes over space exploration....as it should have been all along.

The private sector can't do space exploration on there own. They can only assist. Companies like SpaceX can provide launch services for satellites, cargo and crew to the ISS (or any other future destination), but that's it for now. There is no profit to be gained for them if they were to build, launch and operate a Mars rover all on their own. You need to have Government funded space exploration to pay for things like R&D.

Lets not also forget about the knowledge that is gained about ourselves, our home (Earth) and the neighborhood (Solar system) we live in. That knowledge is invaluable.

If you're really wanting to see money being spent wisely in the US, then why aren't you picking on the Defence budget? NASA's budget is pocket change by comparison.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
so Obama and Obama alone has the power to make adjustments to fiscal budgets? Hell - who needs a congress!!

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   

edit on 15-2-2012 by Davian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   

It wouldn't hurt my feelings AT ALL if Obama slashed 100% of NASA's budget for Mars exploration in favor of a "Restoring America" project. After all, there is no point in keeping your head in the clouds (much less, another planet) if you can't take care of problems at home first.

NASA is a luxury, not a necessity!

I concur with this, I believe we need to take care of this corrupt government filled with tyrants first and focus on the globalist problem here in America before we focus on the final frontier. I believe we'll have a lunar colony by the 2020's more or less, and a manned Mars mission by the mid-to-late 2030's. I predict the coming third global confrontation and other devastatingly innovative confrontations in the near future will pave the way for many new scientific breakthroughs in the form of warfare. We'll be fine as a spacefaring civilization, I believe we will get there, but right now the world sits on the brink and we need to focus on protecting our own land before diving into new and unexplored ones.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Are they going to quit? retire? AND THEN WHAT? collect unemployment? NO, they will take up new, more efficient employment in the private sector.

The U.S. has believed since Sputnik that the government needs to subsidize scientific research. Many of these scientists are natives of other countries and might just leave the U.S. Any U.S. natives interested in planetary science will seek jobs in foreign countries that do subsidize this field.

Anyway, as a taxpayer, I'm curious if there is life on Mars or anywhere else in the solar system. That would be an amazing discovery. Imagine what biologists could learn by studying bacteria that evolved on Mars.

I can't imagine what is motivating Obama to pick-on planetary science this way.

edit on 15-2-2012 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-2-2012 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join