It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Those Marines Bought an SS Flag Without Knowing What it Was? Seriously? That’s Your Excuse?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Scout Snipers! Moving on. Sup Grim.

Second line.

Respectfully i tilt my brim to them. That job is hard. Nice 50 cals though!!!! Yezzzirrr!

Nothing follows
edit on 12-2-2012 by PLASIFISK because: Sure!!!!

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
what does it mean when you kill a group of people that do not have the same views morals values and religion as your self...?

Regardless why America is killing people in the middle east but systematically killing any group of people could be construed in the same light. What is worse is how it is being justified in this day and age.

IF you want the terrorists then go after them, Leave ordinary people out of it, one civilian death is to many.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
When my dad and uncle were kids in the late 50's they got in " trouble"for playing WWII, They took an old nazi flag that their uncle had brought home from the war. They flew it at the top of the hill they were "assaulting", pretending they were US Airborne. It gotten written up in the newspaper, but with an air of good humor as to what they were doing, just playing.

Of course today that would have probably been on nation wide news, taken to juvie, and had tons of talking heads about how they were nazi's.

While a bit tasteless, it's no big deal. The marines were I am sure aware of what the flag was, but of course to them it was just a cool way to say "scout sniper". This stuff has gone on for decades, but wasn't put on youtube or facebook, so no one cared.
"

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
A lot of people are getting offended by the revelation that the Scout Snipers use what many people consider to be a Nazi symbol. But, if we had never seen a picture of these troops with the SS flag, it would never have meant anything. Why? Because we're not Scout Snipers. These men didn't choose a symbol for you or me, they chose a symbol for them...who cares what you or I think of it? For them, the runic SS means Scout Snipers. It doesn't matter what it means for anyone else...it's not for anyone else.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kenrichaed
Well to be fair, I'm a history major specializing in military history and I can honestly say that i've never seen that ss flag. Didn't even know they had their own flag actually, I thought all Nazi's waved the Swastika around. I could certainly understand how they didn't know what it was.

Kinda reminds me more of one of the special forces designs more than anything to do with Nazi's.

No offense:

That's like saying you majored in anthropology but never heard of the Egyptians.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I'm a 19 year old college student and even I know what SS bolts look like. What'd they grow up under a rock?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Come on, saying they didn't know was probably the easiest excuse.
Still doesn't mean they were wrong uns for having the flag.
Like I said before, some folks like stuff cos its cool, nothing else.
People need to untwist their knickers a bit.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Marines not knowing the SS insignia history?.. humm..

When I went to MCRD San Diego in the 80s, we had lessons on WWII German troops.. they coined the iconic USMC phrase "Devil Dog". AKA "Teufel Hunden". We graduated knowing a little something about WWII German Wehrmacht and the Waffen-ss... using the SS flag for Scout Sniper would make sense.

..that was 20+ years ago tho..

Flags..meh, cloth on a stick, burn em all for all I care.. but I do enjoy the biting irony of the US being run by the 4th Reich.. combined with... occupation troops de jure recycling of nazi-esqe symbols... history indeed repeats.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by reficul

well that and their blood type so they could be prioritized for blood transfusions (not a bad idea actually but they are nazis so we have to hate them for it)not sure about the ss but you could very well be right on that ,i think if they wanted to come up with a believable excuse they should have claimed it was SS referring to Chevy super sports or super Swamper tires and they MIGHT just have pulled this one off....ive known the ss had their own flag and that thats what it looked like since i was 8 (history interests me) so them claiming ignorance just makes them look even more idiotic then they did before as you think troops would be up to date on military history..... but ss is still better then them rocking the deaths head legion symbol and i think several sf groups use that one....

edit to add i guess submariners could rock the ss and get away with it as submarine service or its more known name in ww2 of the Silent Service but subs are about the only force i could see getting away with it in modern times unless draftees wanna rock it as selective service but that would problay be considered tactless....
edit on 12-2-2012 by KilrathiLG because: (no reason given)
ah yeah and as several members have pointed out maby scout snipers as well lots of things can be ss it seems
edit on 12-2-2012 by KilrathiLG because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

Since they are Marine Scout Snipers, I believe that fits quite well.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

yeah saw that after i posted i just figure your more likely to be able to get away with it the further u are from the actual source of the controversy ie if your a submariner your more likely to be able to use it compared to an infantry unit as the flag of the ss was mostly used by infantry and tank battallions (not sure if air force had ss units and im pretty sure the kriegsmarine didnt use the ss banner as admrial Karl Dönitz(sp) had the cleanest hands of any nazi in that war)so i hope that makes it a bit more clear then it probably ended up

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Ok guys, listen.

SO WHAT?

The Nazis took those symbols from other places and incorporated them into their ideology.
Why is everyone else banned from doing the same, especially when those symbols actually mean something significant to the people using them?
SS also stands for scout sniper; there isn't some divine rule that says SS can only ever be used to refer to the Nazi SS.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

i sure hope not cause i'm white and my girl is mixed black!

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

i was with ya till the last point. the 'SS' is runic symbolizing the lightnting from odin and the supreme white race!
bunch of bull./...... i'm white,with a black wife i'm well aware of the 'SS' I'M CELTIC SCOTTISH! and i believe there is only one race----- HUMAN!!!
thanx for the reply!
peace!

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Could someone here with more computer smarts than me go to the Southern States Farm Supply page, find the logo, and paste it up here?

That logo is right off a SS uniform collar patch. How many WWII veterans and their children have shopped there the last 50 years and no one ever decried how similar it is to the SS logo. Nobody really cared or thought much about it.

But based on the logic displayed here, we surely have a host of Nazi farmers across the USA.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
First of all the issue isn't the use of the letters SS together as many have suggested. The fact is if the marines would have had a flag with two standard English S's on it, it wouldn't be an issue. The issue is in fact they used a flag that had two specific type of S's; the thunderbolt S; which is a Nazi symbol.

If you actually study the history of the third Reich especially the esoteric ideology of the third Reich, then, you know they carefully chose every single symbol and color to convey a specific meaning and even an esoteric purpose. Did they borrow symbols from earlier cultures? Yes, to a degree, because they also altered those symbols for a specific symbolic purpose.

The swastika is a perfect example. Though, it was an earlier proto germanic sun sign, they didn't just take the sun sign and stick it on their flag, first they reversed it and then second they made it black; symbolically tying the central symbol of their reich to the idea of the black sun; or destructive aspect and force of the sun in esoteric doctrine. The colors of the flag also had specific meanings. The fact is though buddhists, hindus and other cultures use the symbol of the swastika, NO GROUP, can use the symbol of the in versed swastika without it having the esoteric meaning of the black sun, even if they use it in ignorance.

As far as all the defenders in this and the other threads, the fact is you are hurting your argument more then helping with the claim of innocent ignorance, because the truth is, either the soldiers did know what the double thunderbolt means and are quasi neo nazi's or they were unaware of it's meaning and are in fact ignorant idiots. In either case, I wouldn't really want either group in my nations miltary or anywhere near any battlefield. They would be much better suited to flipping burgers at micky D's and or moonlighting in a neo nazi death metal band. Just my opinion though.
edit on 12-2-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: addition

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
This is yet and another military tradition that has been ruined by bleeding heart liberals crying over something they don't understand and assigning meaning to someone else's symbol. In the name of being PC the Marine Corps has now banned the symbol for scout snipers that have been used since the 1970s that's over 40 years.

Next these pansies are going to have us changer helmets because they look like the old German ones. What else is next?

They probably knew what it used to mean but they like the design and it signified what they were scout snipers. These soldiers are not going to get in trouble and they shouldn't I am sure that this insignia is been used by their unit in every scout sniper unit since their inception.

Liberals will ruin the world or everyone.
edit on 12-2-2012 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

Hey PLASIFISK buddy hows it going?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Legion2024
what does it mean when you kill a group of people that do not have the same views morals values and religion as your self...?

Regardless why America is killing people in the middle east but systematically killing any group of people could be construed in the same light. What is worse is how it is being justified in this day and age.

IF you want the terrorists then go after them, Leave ordinary people out of it, one civilian death is to many.

Mauybe you should lecture the armies of the Middle East and the religious nutjobs about keeping civilians out of it.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
reply to post by kn0wh0w

If they really dont know what an SS flag is then I feel sorry for Americans and the level of education they get.

This only badly reflects on the specific individuals who used the flag. If you're going to criticize someones education have the basic intelligence to realize the actions of a few people doesn't reflect on a country that numbers in the hundreds of millions.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
This is yet and another military tradition that has been ruined by bleeding heart liberals crying over something they don't understand and assigning meaning to someone else's symbol. In the name of being PC the Marine Corps has now banned the symbol for scout snipers that have been used since the 1970s that's over 40 years.

Next these pansies are going to have us changer helmets because they look like the old German ones. What else is next?

They probably knew what it used to mean but they like the design and it signified what they were scout snipers. These soldiers are not going to get in trouble and they shouldn't I am sure that this insignia is been used by their unit in every scout sniper unit since their inception.

Liberals will ruin the world or everyone.

Hey PLASIFISK buddy hows it going?

wow, so much cultish thinking going on in this post it's almost unbelievable; frankly it makes you seem like a characture.

And yes your comments do make you sound cultish. After all, the same thing your doing is what most cults do, when those outside of the cult, point out the wrongdoing of one it's members; they label those pointing out the wrong doing, as an "outsider", in your case a "liberal"; even if their not. Kind of sad really.

And, if you think 40 years is a long standing military tradition, no wonder people like you and these soldiers, don't really understand the meanings of the symbols they co opt, you are all so short sighted and have such short memories.

As, far as the unit choosing the symbol because they liked the look of it and they thought it signified what their unit represents, I am sure your right. The ss thought the symbol looked pretty snazzy themselves and yes it was a symbol that to them signified an elite unit and position within the military hierarchy, still doesn't change the fact that it was a nazi symbol, representing the elite unit of the chosen Aryan sons of Germany, but I guess your memory doesn't go back that far. I guess, it also doesn't matter to you or those who chose it in the seventies, that a lot of your fellow soldiers died on the beaches and the trenches fighting to stop those who bore this symbol. I guess your comradery for your military brothers doesn't stretch back that far, after all that was more then forty years ago.

Meh the liberals aren't destroying the world,it's the cult mentality that so many engage in that is destroying the world. It's that mentality that allows, conservatives to over look the sins and treasonous acts of the republicans, while blaming everything on democrats and allows, liberals to excuse the sins and treasonous acts of the democrats while blaming everything on the conservatives, even though both political parties are destroying our nation.

Really, I don't even know why I am wasting my breath; well the energy to type, because I already know it will be lost on you. You are to far ingrained in the mentality of your cults and that is all that obviously matters to you, your eternal oath to the cult of the conservative and the cult of the soldier, or I should say modern soldier because you don't really care about the soldiers of ww2 who shed their life blood in opposition to the forces that bore the swastika and the elite units of those forces that bore the symbol of the double thunderbolt.
edit on 12-2-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: typo

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join