It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rights for conceal carry !! Why is Illinois holding back?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I live in Illinois and I have to say this is not the state you want to live in if you want anything done. I wanted to post a thread asking the fine ATS members why they think Illinois politicians are holding back in passing a conceal carry law for us?

Seems to me that 49 states all can't be wrong in reasons why the agreed to pass a conceal carry law. Crime rates drop in about every crime ranging from small crimes to major ones. I personally can't understand or for one minute sit and think of one good reason why Illinois does not already have a law like the rest of the states.

Anyone jump in and tell me reason why they think this is happening and also if they think Illinois will ever get their butts in gear and get this passed.

Also anyone wanting to support my quest to help see Illinois get their carry rights please go here and sign the petition !

www.change.org...
edit on 10-2-2012 by TopElite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TopElite

Good Luck.

Illinois is a crummy State,filled with Toll booths and filth.

Liberal agenda also........

Yes,I said it.

Flame away.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Move to Indiana. They give you a ccw when you apply for a state drivers license.... No seriously if you ask them they will. Indy loves its guns. Illinoise, not so much.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I'm not going to flame you. I agree with you totally and I live here. I actually never came across a toll booth in IL but anyways. I go to Indiana to buy rifles and shotguns. Indiana won't sell people from IL pistols though which is pretty dumb.

I really can't understand what a concealed weapon permit is hurting anyone. Liberal IL reps are killing this state. I just want them to let us carry our guns.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TopElite

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but you might be interested anyways to read about it.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Chicago is a corrupt place to begin with, but maybe they're anticipating violence so they're holding off on their ruling until after this event passes?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I suggest looking into a rewarding life in Missouri.
We take CCW very seriously and are a Shall Issue state. So, if you qualify, you get it. No back country Sheriff deciding he doesn't 'wanna' give you a properly qualified permit. It's a whole different world from you poor folks in Illinois. Even California is downright pro-gun by comparison.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Compared to IL we sure seem like a gun friendly state, but trust me, it's not. Applying for a ccw in Cali is a process and it HAS to be approved by the Sherrif in your county. Hence the reason in almost every county in California there are almost no CCW civilians. Save Fresno and Madera counties. Living in the heart of the valley is actually not that bad if you choose to apply for a concealed carry.

Any way, I highly recommend moving one state to the east. Short of that, the only way you'll be packin heat in Illinois is to do so on your terms... If you get my drift.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by W3RLIED2

lol... You missed my sarcasm about California... It's the one I usually see mentioned first in stories about general anti-gun locations. I sure agree though, California is right up there. The big difference I see though is that Illinois has that crazy 'gun card' of theirs where you need to have the state's permission to own a gun. Any gun. Period. If you lose that state permission, they take all guns.

The Firearms Services Bureau is responsible for administering the Firearm Owner's Identification Program (FOID) and the Firearm Transfer Inquiry Program (FTIP). The FOID card is required for any resident of Illinois to possess or purchase firearms. During the FOID application process, the applicant’s identification and background information is checked. Individuals with prohibiting factors are disallowed from obtaining a FOID card.
Source and State Page for Info
That little outrage against the U.S. Constitution is what I'd say makes Illinois the #1 Blue Ribbon winner for Anti-Gun states.

California can actually feel good about not being the worst at something for a change.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Making it difficult if not impossible to defend yourself or extricate yourself from a dangerous situation makes you dependent on the government for protection. That is the primary reason.

The second reason is that governments are afraid of an armed citizenry. Force of arms can overthrow a government and that would never do.

Third, there really are some crazy people out there.

However, in CCW states, I always wonder how a crazed shooter was ever allowed to get off a second shot.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I think any state would probably be better than IL as far as concealed carry laws. I think the politicians that are so corrupt are just worried about not being able to see a person walking up with a gun to shot them lol. This state is a joke for sure. I would move away but my daughter lives with her mom and I like being close to have her on the weekends or I would have already moved away.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I am just curious what this liberal vs. conservative has to to with a carry permit. I would be considered a liberal, and I carry legally as should anyone whom is sane have this right. I wonder if many of you are in a conditioned state of mind where you cannot separate reality from politics. But then, I suspect some of you vote along party lines expecting to make a difference.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I don't know why they are holding back, but according to my handy dandy "Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States", which I received in my CCW class, Illinois is awful. On the guides scale of 0 to 100, 0 being "Total Prohibition" and 100 being "Total Freedom", Illinois received a 30.

If anyone is interested you can get a copy of the guide from here linky

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by DelMar

Nice little guide there DelMar.......

The criminals must love Illinois........

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
highest taxes, some of the worst crime, and no guns. yeah it sucks here. The Chicago Political machine controls the whole state.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Even the rural areas where we are allowed to own guns (with that state issued FOID card, of course) are getting more and more carried away with restrictive local laws.

My husband and I used to be able to go to my sister and brother-in-laws farm and go out into the middle of the fields and set up our paper targets and shoot away to the extent that we could afford bullets. No neighbors, never a single complaint, no problems. Then the law changed so that you have to have a ridiculous amount of space surrounding every side of you. Not a sensible measure of distance, but something truly ridiculous. I can't remember what it is now and my sister and brother-in-law have since moved so it isn't an issue any more, but at the time one side of their field was just shy of the required amount of space so we were forced to stop.

Now we are looking into finding gun clubs or shooting ranges in our area that aren't prohibitively expensive, as we are on a fairly tight budget, but so far haven't found much that is close enough to us (within an hour or so drive) or that has reasonable costs.

It disappoints me so much, because I was just learning to shoot and had found that I am surprisingly good for a beginner and I loved it. I had so much fun and my husband bought me my own Mossberg .22, a 702 Plinkster rifle, and I only got to use it twice before the law changed.

The CCW issue came up for a vote a while back and I was so excited, but it didn't pass and now we are still without the option. I think that our politicians here in Illinois really do hate us. Unfortunately, they have enough sway that too many people blindly believe whatever they say and things like CCW keep getting voted down.

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Don't forget about that little wiretapping law Illinois still has as well. Film the cops in Illinois and face 15 years of prison time and a felony conviction. It's happened even recently to more than one person.

No guns, no filming cops, even if they are committing acts of wrong doing. This state sucks it.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Yeah that is a good point. There was a guy locally around my area that was spotted filming a cop and he was arrested as well. The corrupt government officials just want Illinois to be defenseless and with no proof when cops or politicians are committing crimes.

This goes back to one of the politicians being against guns but then someone tried to break into his house and the politician shot the guy. Can anyone say hypocrites ?

Illinois is full of crooks and criminals and the laws all stink to high heaven. Like I said if my daughter lived with me I would have already moved to another state. If Illinois gets any worse I still might have to move.

top topics

join