It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Catholic Church and Birth Control.....My Opinion

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
Her health insurance does not cover birth control, she cannot find it free elsewhere ...

Why not? Why can't she find it free elsewhere? Clinics across the country offer free birth control.
It's handed out like candy.

The reason that healthcare plan does not cover birth control is because the Catholic religion as a whole was granted an exemption based solely on their religious ideology.

Um .. no. There was no 'exemption' given. It's a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT .. read the 1st Amendment.
That's not an 'exemption'. It's just a right. pure and simple.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

It was a hypothetical situation. Plain and simple.

I think you are missing the overall point I am trying to convey here and I am not going to keep saying it over and over again. If you're not getting it by now, you never will.

You can call it a first amendment issue all you want, but is that same standard going to be universally applied to all religions, or lack thereof?

If so, we have just opened a very wide door for religions to start doing things that may be detrimental to society and individuals, but accepted because of so-called 1st amendment right.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
reply to post by FlyersFan

It was a hypothetical situation. Plain and simple.

I think you are missing the overall point I am trying to convey here and I am not going to keep saying it over and over again. If you're not getting it by now, you never will.

You can call it a first amendment issue all you want, but is that same standard going to be universally applied to all religions, or lack thereof?

If so, we have just opened a very wide door for religions to start doing things that may be detrimental to society and individuals, but accepted because of so-called 1st amendment right.

The same standard should be applied but hasn't. Take a look at honour killings in muslim culture and the mess involved there.
The main thrust (and ultimate failure) of the Obama healthcare mandates is the intrusion into individual rights and liberties garuanteed by the US Constitution.

The purpose of the Constitution was to potect people from government, and that's why we are at such odds with this issue. It'l be an intrusion of 1st ammendment rights regardless.

This should be applied to all religious and sectarian individuals and organizations.

Bottom line?

Mandated healthcare, government mandated healthcare, can never exist in the same arena as the US Constitution.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I happen to agree. Government has no right being involved in healthcare.

But unfortunately that is not the reality we face. And if government is going to oversee the current healthcare system, at least it will be administered equally to all.

I did say in the OP that I did not agree with this system as a way to avoid this sort of debate, but it's been fun all the same.
edit on 11-2-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join