It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Santorum wants more fracking!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Santorum wants more fracking!!!

www.cbsnews.com

Tailoring his message to his audience in a major energy-producing state, Santorum said he favors hydrofracking, a relatively new process of extracting natural gas by breaking up rock with pressurized water. Environmentalists say hydrofracking causes groundwater pollution.

"It's the new boogey man," Santorum told a crowd of over 850 people, one of the largest since he launched his campaign for the GOP nomination last year...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Well, aside from being a loon...this guy comes out and comes off as??? MORE OF A LOON. Can we expect an explosion of hydrofracking if he wins??? Wonder how long til the New Madrid goes then? LOL. God, this is nuts.

He even dismisses the chemicals and whatnot used in the process. DOES HE EVEN KNOW WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT?!?!? Prob not. It's like he's reading the talking points verbatim. Who writes his stuff?

www.cbsnews.com

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
"We're sort of new to this stuff, hydrofracking, in Pennsylvania. And they're preying on the Northeast, saying, 'Look what's going to happen. Ooh, all this bad stuff's going to happen. We don't know all these chemicals and all this stuff.' ... Let me tell you what's going to happen. Nothing's going to happen, except they will use this to raise money for the radical environmental groups so they can go out and continue to try to purvey their reign of environmental terror on the United States of America."

THE REST OF HIS QUOTE. /ragemode

Thanks Rick, we can all sleep better knowing nothign will happen AND that you can see into the future. Surprised he didnt say "God told me". Putz.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
What the frack is wrong with that guy? - sorry, cheesy I know, but couldn't resist.

"Santorum told a crowd of over 850 people, one of the largest since he launched his campaign for the GOP nomination last year..." - wow burn, ouch.

I guess I need to research this Santorum guy.
edit on 9-2-2012 by calnorak because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
The problems people have with fracing could be addressed with properly mandated groundwater protections and in wellbore construction, and analysis about the depths that fracing is allowed at.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I have no clue about fracking beyond...get nat-gas. aka, don't know of any potential dangers or anything.

Only danger I am aware of is that showing of how gas leaks through taps and you can light your water on fire from sinks

that thing...ya

Now no doubt there is some sort of cross contamination going on here...but does that mean all fracking everywhere will produce this? doubtful...a bit of research on "safe fracking"....ya, I just said that...needs to be done before we end up turning the waterlines into fuel bombs.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
The problems people have with fracing could be addressed with properly mandated groundwater protections and in wellbore construction, and analysis about the depths that fracing is allowed at.

You are probably right, except for the Human Factor.

What you subscribe, takes more time, and cost more money, those are two things that these companies don't want.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Thing is, in some areas with coal this little trick already was happening. This is a natural phenomena, and you need to show that there was not methane admixture PRIOR to drilling.

Shallow coal deposits with methane seeps happen.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by calnorak

850 people...dude's got the nomination wrapped up!!!! Game over, man!!! GAME OVER, MAN!!! LOL. Flavor of the week for the 24/7 BNN (Brainwashing News Networks)

link   
It's funny because they say frack instead of # in Battlestar Galactica.

link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

So what? You put in the regs, and enforcement and lock their wells out if they don't comply with the regulations.

It is that simple.

Proper casing and cement procedures, and knowledgeable geophyicists / geologists can help you map out the underground formations and determine which ones are too close to the groundwater.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
OMG this guy is wacko. Every once in a while he makes a completely nutty statement.
Obama must be praying that he gets nominated

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

good points and well put.

...but as stated... the human element? Also, i understand 'groundwater contamination prevention' but how about just... NOT USING POISONOUS CHEMICALS THAT COULD ENTER THE WATER TABLE IN THE FIRST PLACE!?!?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

"Proper casing and cement procedures, and knowledgeable geophyicists / geologists can help you map out the underground formations and determine which ones are too close to the groundwater."

...cause the worked out SO well for Deepwater Horizon. /SARCASM Are those geologists going to be consultants from Haliburton? Come on, man. At least be realistic towards the amount of cash going to be dumped by industries trying to make billions in profit. Human folly. Never should be allowed, never will be safe, but thats just my personal opinion
edit on 9-2-2012 by crazyray because: im...an idiot

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

So what? You put in the regs, and enforcement and lock their wells out if they don't comply with the regulations.

It is that simple.

Its that simple, I see.
Lets use the Nuclear Industry for a example, I think we can both agree , potential for disaster would be of a greater magnitude.
Fully Regulated , even has its own Governing Body.

How many of the US Nuke Plants are Fully Compliant with the Regulations?

NONE, Not One, Zero,
And you think this will be different.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Your personal opinion needs some facts to back it up.

It is my personal opinion that the way they are allowing drilling to happen in the US, and particularly in the Gulf, is attrocious. You are lucky that some of the companies doing this actually have company directives to look forward to the improvement in your regs so that they are already operating with better drilling behaviour.

If you don't have an enforcement ladder where you can lock down a company (yes, including nuclear) then you aren't really serious about your regs.

As to non-compliance with nuclear - there is a difference between "your sign is pink when it should be blue" or "the weeds are too long here" and "your radioactive material is seeping out of the building."

edit on 2012/2/9 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

a crowd of over 850 people, one of the largest since he launched his campaign for the GOP nomination last year...

I get it. The person writing this article is attempting to marginalize him by stating that he barely has any followers. Whatever. I was personally at an event last night where he spoke. I'd say the crowd was between 2 - 3 thousand. It would have been bigger if he would have chosen a bigger venue to speak at. There were at least 850 people outside that couldn't even fit into the building.

On the fracking I have have some concern that it is leaking over into drinking water and causing some of the seismic activity we've been seeing lately in various odd places. Just my opinion of course.
edit on 2/9/2012 by dbates because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Fair enough... how's about using 'the google' to determine what chemicals are used in conjunction with the 'water' thats pumped down there?

What Chemicals Are Used

As previously noted, chemicals perform many functions in a hydraulic fracturing job. Although there are dozens to hundreds of chemicals which could be used as additives, there are a limited number which are routinely used in hydraulic fracturing. The following is a list of the chemicals used most often. This chart is sorted alphabetically by the Product Function to make it easier for you to compare to the fracturing records .
Chemical Name CAS Chemical Purpose Product Function
Hydrochloric Acid 007647-01-0 Helps dissolve minerals and initiate cracks in the rock Acid

Glutaraldehyde 000111-30-8 Eliminates bacteria in the water that produces corrosive by-products Biocide
Quaternary Ammonium Chloride 012125-02-9 Eliminates bacteria in the water that produces corrosive by-products Biocide
Quaternary Ammonium Chloride 061789-71-1 Eliminates bacteria in the water that produces corrosive by-products Biocide
Tetrakis Hydroxymethyl-Phosphonium Sulfate 055566-30-8 Eliminates bacteria in the water that produces corrosive by-products Biocide

Ammonium Persulfate 007727-54-0 Allows a delayed break down of the gel Breaker
Sodium Chloride 007647-14-5 Product Stabilizer Breaker
Magnesium Peroxide 014452-57-4 Allows a delayed break down the gel Breaker
Magnesium Oxide 001309-48-4 Allows a delayed break down the gel Breaker
Calcium Chloride 010043-52-4 Product Stabilizer Breaker

Choline Chloride 000067-48-1 Prevents clays from swelling or shifting Clay Stabilizer
Tetramethyl ammonium chloride 000075-57-0 Prevents clays from swelling or shifting Clay Stabilizer
Sodium Chloride 007647-14-5 Prevents clays from swelling or shifting Clay Stabilizer

Isopropanol 000067-63-0 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent Corrosion Inhibitor
Methanol 000067-56-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent Corrosion Inhibitor
Formic Acid 000064-18-6 Prevents the corrosion of the pipe Corrosion Inhibitor
Acetaldehyde 000075-07-0 Prevents the corrosion of the pipe Corrosion Inhibitor

Petroleum Distillate 064741-85-1 Carrier fluid for borate or zirconate crosslinker Crosslinker
Hydrotreated Light Petroleum Distillate 064742-47-8 Carrier fluid for borate or zirconate crosslinker Crosslinker
Potassium Metaborate 013709-94-9 Maintains fluid viscosity as temperature increases Crosslinker
Triethanolamine Zirconate 101033-44-7 Maintains fluid viscosity as temperature increases Crosslinker
Sodium Tetraborate 001303-96-4 Maintains fluid viscosity as temperature increases Crosslinker
Boric Acid 001333-73-9 Maintains fluid viscosity as temperature increases Crosslinker
Zirconium Complex 113184-20-6 Maintains fluid viscosity as temperature increases Crosslinker
Borate Salts N/A Maintains fluid viscosity as temperature increases Crosslinker
Ethylene Glycol 000107-21-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Crosslinker
Methanol 000067-56-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Crosslinker

Polyacrylamide 009003-05-8 “Slicks” the water to minimize friction Friction Reducer
Petroleum Distillate 064741-85-1 Carrier fluid for polyacrylamide friction reducer Friction Reducer
Hydrotreated Light Petroleum Distillate 064742-47-8 Carrier fluid for polyacrylamide friction reducer Friction Reducer
Methanol 000067-56-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Friction Reducer
Ethylene Glycol 000107-21-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Friction Reducer

Guar Gum 009000-30-0 Thickens the water in order to suspend the sand Gelling Agent
Petroleum Distillate 064741-85-1 Carrier fluid for guar gum in liquid gels Gelling Agent
Hydrotreated Light Petroleum Distillate 064742-47-8 Carrier fluid for guar gum in liquid gels Gelling Agent
Methanol 000067-56-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Gelling Agent
Polysaccharide Blend 068130-15-4 Thickens the water in order to suspend the sand Gelling Agent
Ethylene Glycol 000107-21-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Gelling Agent

Citric Acid 000077-92-9 Prevents precipitation of metal oxides Iron Control
Acetic Acid 000064-19-7 Prevents precipitation of metal oxides Iron Control
Thioglycolic Acid 000068-11-1 Prevents precipitation of metal oxides Iron Control
Sodium Erythorbate 006381-77-7 Prevents precipitation of metal oxides Iron Control

Lauryl Sulfate 000151-21-3 Used to prevent the formation of emulsions in the fracture fluid Non-Emulsifier
Isopropanol 000067-63-0 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Non-Emulsifier
Ethylene Glycol 00

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
come at me, bro. Your retort about the company directives et al is directly off the website i pulled that from. Sooo...you work for the actual companies or are a 3rd party 'consultant'???

Groundwater Protection: Priority Number One

Oil and natural gas producers have stringent requirements for how wells must be completed. The genesis of these requirements is water safety.

Casing is the first line of defense used to protect freshwater aquifers.

RIGHT OFF THE FRONT PAGE:

fracfocus.org...

edit on 9-2-2012 by crazyray because: im an idiot speller

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazyray

Well, aside from being a loon...this guy comes out and comes off as??? MORE OF A LOON. Can we expect an explosion of hydrofracking if he wins??? Wonder how long til the New Madrid goes then? LOL. God, this is nuts.

He even dismisses the chemicals and whatnot used in the process. DOES HE EVEN KNOW WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT?!?!? Prob not. It's like he's reading the talking points verbatim. Who writes his stuff?

www.cbsnews.com

Do you know what you are talking about?? I think not......The chemicals and "whatnot" you are referring to are in the ground yes, but completely surrounded by a cement casing....

You know that if one single drop of fresh water is dropped onto the ground on a frac site, there must be an incident report filed and EPA called in??

But let me guess, you don't trust the EPA is honest either right? The EPA hangs around on Frac sites all the time to test water samples and local water to ensure there is no damage done, yet here you are in your "expert" opinion stating that Santorum is a "LOON".....

Want to see a real "LOON".....Look in the mirror my friend, don't argue something just to argue when you have no facts....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join