It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

January 2012 Fourth Warmest for Contiguous United States, but Alaska Extremely Cold

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
We used to heard from everywhere that we are actually living in a new "little ice age", but the monthly analysis from NOOA show January to be 36.3 degrees F, 5.5 degrees F above the 1901-2000 long-term average, showed that, at least in the USA, warmer-than-average temperatures were widespread across whole country.
However, several towns across Alaska had their coldest average January temperatures on record -- Nome (-16.6 degrees F), Bethel (-17.3 degrees F) McGrath (-28.5 degrees F), and Bettles (-35.6 degrees F)...

During January, warmer-than-average conditions enveloped most of the contiguous United States, with widespread below-average precipitation. The overall weather pattern for the month was reflected in the lack of snow for much of the Northern Plains, Midwest, and Northeast. This scenario was in stark contrast to Alaska where several towns had their coldest January on record.

Read the full paper here

edit on 9-2-2012 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

LOL, last week it was -10 to -15, and yesterday was 10, and today it was 30 something, and on my way home from work it was raining, but 30 minutes before it was 20-30MPH winds with 50MPH gusts .....

Tomorrow it will be between -10 to 40, with sun, with a little bit of clouds, maybe rain, and 2-10" of snow ohh yeah don't forget the 10-75MPH winds....

I am going to be a meteorologist if college and my other trades fail.. talk about job security!

Within 2 miles and 200ft elevation can make the difference of wind, 12" snow, sun or clouds. weather casters are a joke if your looking more than a guess.. bigger storms are just as good as a uneducated man looking outside his house, not being mean... that's just it is, take no offense, LOL

edit on 9-2-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

Alaskan weather can completely change and flip to the opposite in 5 MIN, Proof of that, just take a walk with me..

BTW also wanted to add that in less than 6 hours the weather can change almost 80 degrees if not more....

We have mini-Ice ages, and tropical storms. still waiting to see my first tornado or hurricane here

And around the state the past two weeks there were a few reports of -50 and -60 degrees... if I have to prove I'll find the source, But I live here and have to work in the crap, can't make that up, Can make up to $60-70 an hour just because of the weather. AKA(hazards)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Nice post

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

If you recall, in Bethel AK about 6 years ago there was actually a tornado.

Your right about one thing though, do to the crazy jet stream, Alaska Weather has been quite unstable as of late. Record snow, record cold, record wind....its getting ridiculous.The weather here is like mother nature has hit menopause.

You will for sure be able to see a change in weather enviromental factors in alaska first before anywhere else due to its location.

That and considering that unlike the rest of the country Alaska gets weather fronts from 3 different directions on a daily basis..the artic front, the japanese weather patterns, The rollover from the greater Seattle/Vancouver area....its a mixed bag of poo it is.

I've always said if you can live up here, your not only a tough SOB, but you can live anywhere.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by BooKrackers

I just recently did concrete and masonry work on the new Bethel Hospital.. Tornado you say?

Interesting, Damn, I would have loved to be in that! Crazy?!?!

Menapausal, yes, very.. hence the unpredictablilty..

S for your post, thx

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Just to give you an idea of why things are currently fubar

Jet Stream

For the US anyway, yet, its not all that normal....

new topics

top topics

join