It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VERY loud rumbling tonight in PacificNorthWest..anyone else hear it? 2/8/12

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Just about ten-fifteen minutes ago, my son and I were sitting in our front room watching tv. We heard a very loud rumbling coming from outside. This was over the suround-sound. We just looked at each other and as it got louder, I grew concerned and even wondered if it was an approaching, large quake. I muted the tv and opened the window. "A train?" I asked him.....it seemed WAY too loud, and in over six years of being in this house had never heard one this loud. That is what it sounded like, a train that was right next to the house, vs a mile away. We could feel a vibration with it too, which is why i was growing more concerned, when it suddenly and abruptly stopped. No way it could have been a low-flying jet. We sat a few moments....waiting. It suddenly started again and I grabbed my recorder and ran out into my backyard. My outdoor dog promptly ran past me, inside. A duck in the marshes behind my house was making some god-awful sound and more further away were also sqwaking.

The sound was gone when I got outside. I waited for over ten minutes but it didn't come back. I have checked local seismos and don't see anything showing. If it happens again I will try and record it, but meanwhile I am wondering if anyone else experienced it? About 10:10 pm or so(give or take five minutes) PST.

I want to stress it was NOT a train, a plane (like any kind I have ever heard) or thunder. I have no idea what it could have been. This was NOT like the 'trumpets' sounds that are traveling the internet, nor is it the same far-off rumbling sounds I have heard in the past, but ten times louder. It could have been the same mechanism causing it but it was much,much louder and sounded like it was approaching and around me vs far off.

ETA: I want to add that I think the reason i thought quake is because it was very, very similar in sound to the two times I was in a 6 and 6.8 quake before, but without the shaking.
edit on 9-2-2012 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-2-2012 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Wow, thanks for sharing, that certainly sounds creepy and very ominous. Hope it's nothing serious

I live in Spokane but we didn't hear anything here.
edit on 9-2-2012 by nusnus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Yea I heard a sound too

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by knightsofcydonia

Do you mind giving a general location? And what it sounded like to you? Was it at the same time???

To me it seemed to approach from the NW...towards Vancouver Island.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
It's happening all over the world and no one knows what it is. I have read about it a lot on the internet but no news station has covered it yet that I know of. Would be nice if a news station would try to investigate it. And Scientists, no one is talking either. So very weird.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Okay....one of my friends on facebook asked the question there before I could. So confirmation that others heard/felt it. They thought it was an earthquake!

I will ask my source at PNSN about it.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Wonder if it might be a sinkhole getting ready to go. I mean with all the animals going crazy. Or, underground digging, which might cause a sinkhole. Yuh. I would be freaking too.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
happened here the other day, thought it was a low airplane

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Westcoast. I am glad you got to hear this noise also. I hope you can record it!

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Might it be this event?
Its showing as a 2.1 with a dept of 6.50 km. (4.04 miles)

Regardless of what it "is", that seams like it was a very scary thing to hear. Please keep a recording device handy as I for one would love to hear it.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   

WC....I'm here in Puyallup. I have heard nothing down south here. I'll keep my ears out though.

Keep your recorder at hand!

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   

I am in proximity of Mt Hood & didn't hear anything, butI had my TV up pretty loud also. I have really good "Mom" hearing so I'll try to be extra vigelant tonight & tommorow & post if I hear anything.

FYI: My cats have been TWEAKING OUT like CRAZY for a couple of days now for no reason....

QR

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I live in southeast Missouri..approximately 1:45 am I heard what sounded like a low flying, large airplane moving slowly over the area..I live out in the Ozarks, deep in the woods..I do have allot of air force activity in the area and have never heard that kind of sound from a plane before. For some reason it did catch my attention thinking it was a plane having problems, but it really seemed to basically hover like for at least 5 to 10 minutes. Sounded like the engines were going up and down, if that makes sense. But disappeared just as suddenly as it began, not like flying off into the distance. I actually put it off as a plane, until I found this site and noticed all the posts about it..Strange indeed.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Ok. This is getting to be beyond insane.

At first, I thought they were all hoaxes. Now westcoast comes forward and hears something.

I am officially on the "something is happening under our noses" bandwagon.

I'm getting freaked out now. Something IS going on.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I must say I agree "amonus"..But I really won't read to much into it until I hear it again and jump out of bed and run outside in my skivvies and check it out for myself. But I guarantee that I'll be more aware of what's going on around me.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I live on the west coast, more specifically Southern California. I heard AND felt the sounds tonight.
Oddly enough it wasn't a continuous rumbling sound, but more like an explosion.
The sound was brief, it sounded like a suppressed explosion, and soon after the sound (maybe 1-2 seconds) i felt the shock wave of whatever made the sound. it seemed to go up through my house. it was not violent but more of just a small shake. Very bizarre and somewhat frightening.. i looked outside and saw nothing besides a few neighbors poking their heads out of their front doors to investigate.

I would also like to note that the 30 minutes leading up to this shock wave i felt, i felt and heard many small explosions or sounds, but then finally a big one happened. It was not like an earthquake. Not continuous, not the normal feelings i get that i associate with an earthquake. These sounds and feelings seemed too coordinated and in way too short of bursts for me to consider them an earthquake.

Very, very bizarre.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
Ok. This is getting to be beyond insane.

At first, I thought they were all hoaxes. Now westcoast comes forward and hears something.

I am officially on the "something is happening under our noses" bandwagon.

I'm getting freaked out now. Something IS going on.

I'm actually north of you in Sumner. If I heard anything I blocked it out (I live less than 100 yards from 2 sets of train tracks)
Its gotten to the point where I hear what sounds like rumbling but thinks its a train waiting/idling..

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
The rumbling noise abruptly cut off, restarted and then cut off again? Did I get the sequence and the fact the transitions from noise to silence was abrupt, correct? That is something a bit new and if this is related to the others then I'd say it rules a few things out. I can't see where naturally produced noise from geologic events would have sudden drop and restart points. Something mechanical might though....or something generated from Space.

Hmm.. The way this is all developing over time is as interesting as the base phenomenon itself.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Im really far away from you guys, here in Montreal and I've been hearing some weird sounds for the past 3 days now.

The sound is closer to a train sound than the sound I heard in the summer which was much like the "sky sounds" that people have been talking about.

I dont live near trains so it cant be an actual train. It sounds more like really strong and constant wind pressing against the house. That kinda wind with a low sound and feels like it could wreck things while making the house slightly vibrate. It feels and sounds like its something very powerful headed my way.

It goes on for about 10 minutes but nothing outside is moving when it happens, so it just cant be wind.
It really scares me every single time, it sounds like something is coming so much so that I just cant get used to it and say "oh, its just another one of those whatever they ares".

It always comes to a sudden stop, it doesn't drift off or slow down.
If I had to think of something that it reminds me of from a movie, I would have to say you know that sound that George Taylor hears in "Beneath the Planet of the Apes" before he goes in the old subway tunnel?
Its kinda like that.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Some interesting responses.

First....I have heard rumbling/pulsating sounds before. I started a thread on it sometime ago. This was much,much louder and did ebb and susbide like the previous sounds.

This built...built...built....and suddenly stopped. I and now two other people have described it like a large quake building. You know (If you have been in a 6+ quake before) the sound you hear right before the shaking starts? It was JUST like that, but suddenly stopped before the shaking. There was a vibration, because it was so loud.

I have confirmation from someone in Anancortes, WA...I am in Sedro Woolley, WA and a friend in Mount Vernon, WA. Also, dispatchers in the 911 center. This is about a 30 mile spread.

I asked the PNSN and they did find a small quake up in canada that showed up on three bore-holes. But it was so small and distant that we SHOULDN'T have heard it.

I need someone Uh-Hum (TA PM) to take a close look for me????

I know it was after 10:00 because face-off had already started. I don't think it was past 10:10 though...PST.

If it was a sound-wave, than it could have happened slightly before ten, depending on where it came from.

As to those booms in California. What time was this at????

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join