It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syrian army tightens noose on Homs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Syrian army tightens noose on Homs

www.abc.net.au

The Free Syrian Army is proving no match for government troops, and rebel forces are pinning their hopes on more defections.

A defected colonel told told a BBC reporter in the city that the rebel strategy is to hope the army will crumble from the inside.

But there is little hope of that, with unconfirmed reports a special troop intensely loyal to the regime is being moved nearer to Homs.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Looks like the Syrian Army are defeating the terrorists with ease. It also looks like the MSN is trying its best to gain public support for some form of military intervention. Seems like something will have to happen soon because it sounds like the terrorist army will be crushed by the Syrian Army. before too long

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.voanews.com...
www.telegraph.co.uk...
www.themoscowtimes.com...
edit on 8-2-2012 by theubermensch because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Russia will NOT i repeat NOT,,
give up it's Naval Base.
That goes for u.n/u.s/nato/Iran,,,did i leave anyone out?,,
They have the best deal already ,,with Assad. and that included both,,
Sunni and Sharia,, Muslums,,
So ,,unless someone like the combined forces of the West, want too, take on the Combined Forces of the East,,
starting in Iran,,hey , Soviet Invation of Iran,, think, Checkslovakia,, how fast did that happen?
Did the combined Western Allies do anything about it?
Nope,, well not for lack of trying,, but,,,
Soviet invasion of Iran is very much a really scenario as well,,

Lest We Forget.

Me.
edit on 8-2-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
This has been ongoing. Homs has been shelled with mortar and tank rounds for the past couple weeks. Snipers on rooftops as well have been hitting the Free Army soldiers in Homs as well. Homs will be taken by the offical Syrian army led by al-Assad. Like the OP states, the Free Army is no match for the offical Syrian army. Seeing as how one is of orginised fashion and the other is not.

As a previous poster stated, Russia will not give up that naval base what so ever. This is why the are so adament on keeping it. They have invested billions of dollars into this base to just disband the area.

Syria is on make or break grounds it seems. They better find a solution quickly before the U.N try to put its foot in the door, so to speak.

-SAP-

edit on 8-2-2012 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Another link to the Homs situation.

Syria: Homs under 'heaviest' shelling yet

www.bbc.co.uk...

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
It is just me or do the CNN civilians reporting seem like there scripted almost like staged????

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by novaaquos

As far as video news is concerned? Not sure haven't been able to watch much CNN lately but I doubt it's a scripted event..If you are unsure go over there and see for yourself

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
"No civilians were harmed in the making of this massacre".

Why are people so fond of Assad? Just because he's not American?

edit on 8-2-2012 by FlyingSpaghettiMonster because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
It has to be a carrot an stick approach from the Assad administration for it to be successful. They would have to go hard at the rebels to prove to them that theirs is a losing battle and then offer a general amnesty for all rebels which will give them a way out. Since Assad had already offered amnesty once in the past, he can be expected to do it again. Being magnanimous in victory will win him the approval of the Syrians, including the rebels. After that settling the differences that caused the rebellion in the first place shouldn't prove too difficult a task.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
It looks like a "Higher Revolutionary Council" has been created to create some organization within the Free Syria Army. Let's hope egos within the Free Syria Army don't defeat their purpose.

www.hurriyetdailynews.com...

Seriously, if the Free Syrian Army was no match for the official army, this fight wouldn't have dragged out for eleven months.

Also, the increase in violence in the last day just goes to make Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov look like a total fool for saying that Assad was willing to work with the opposition to decrease the violence just the day before.

This is just more proof that Assad can't even keep his word for 24 hours, just like the agreement he made with the Arab League some time back.

edit on 8-2-2012 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

Seriously, if the Free Syrian Army was no match for the official army, this fight wouldn't have dragged out for eleven months.

The US/NATO war in Afghanistan has been going on for more than a decade now. Does that mean the Taliban are a match for the US/NATO forces?

Also, the increase in violence in the last day just goes to make Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov look like a total fool for saying that Assad was willing to work with the opposition to decrease the violence just the day before.

Assad can't work with an opposition that is not willing to work with him. When it is proved to them that they can't win on their own and no Western air bombing of Assad's forces is coming to assist them, they will come to the table. But first that point needs to be proved to them and that is the task the Syrian government is currently charged with.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by novaaquos
It is just me or do the CNN civilians reporting seem like there scripted almost like staged????

Yes you are right the dead baby looked like a doll

I mean honestly if it was a real baby dead why isn't there any blood?

On CNN today on anderson cooper talking with a Syrian activist supposed with a dead baby near him, looked like a doll to me.
edit on 8-2-2012 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Observor

The US/NATO war in Afghanistan has been going on for more than a decade now. Does that mean the Taliban are a match for the US/NATO forces?

Obviously! Once you throw in all of the other terrorist insurgents in the region that joined them. We aren't just fighting one force there! Come on!

Assad can't work with an opposition that is not willing to work with him. When it is proved to them that they can't win on their own and no Western air bombing of Assad's forces is coming to assist them, they will come to the table. But first that point needs to be proved to them and that is the task the Syrian government is currently charged with.

The Syrian government is working the same way as my above statement. They have other regional insurgents (IRGC) in there to help them do their dirty work and they're not capable of destroying the Syrian Free Army on their own either. Someone else is going to have to step in or it will drag on for years to come too. The Syrian Free Army already knows that Assad isn't willing to work with them (from past experience), so it will continue until a larger force steps in...or as I read yesterday, the U.S. Congress is considering supplying the Free Syrian Army with weapons to help them.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Good hopefully Assad will handle the islamo fascist terror threat once and for all. I sure hope he isnt expecting any help from the USA! USA!! USA!!! Marines to help him out, the USA! USA!! USA!!! Marines have done enough, why should they have to inva.......BRING FOREIGN AID to country after country???

new topics

top topics

join