It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Jeanne Becomes Hurricane - Kills 2

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Hurricane Jeanne, the 6th hurricane in the Atlantic this year has killed 2 people in Puerto Rico so far. The eastern and northern coasts of the Dominican Republic are now under hurricane warnings. Hurricane Jeanne is currently packing 80 mph winds with even higher gusts.

abcnew.go.com
YABUCOA, Puerto Rico Sept. 16, 2004 � Jeanne strengthened from a tropical storm into the sixth hurricane of the season Thursday, a day after lashing Puerto Rico with damaging winds and rain that knocked out power, flooded roads and killed two people.

A hurricane warning was posted for eastern and northern coasts of the Dominican Republic, as forecasters told the storm-weary Caribbean to monitor the progress of Jeanne, which had 80 mph winds with higher gusts.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The dangerous storm is forecast to reach Florida, Georgia and South Carolina by next week.

More than 200,000 people in the Dominican Republic are without running water. One victim of Hurricane Jeanne, Margarita Rivera, died when high winds flung her into the wall of her neighbors house. Arturo Roman,, 78, was killed while trying to install storm shutters on the roof of his house. Roman died instantly.

In Puerto Rico, Hurricane Jeane has pounded the area with at least 16 inches of rain.

Images Courtesy of accuweather.com
Current Position of Hurricane Jeanne

Satellite Image of Hurricane Jeanne

According to www.accuweather.com..., Hurricane Jeane's forecast eye path is straight through Florida.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Goody, a FOURTH Hurricane to get everyone all panicked...

Of course, after facing 3 MAJOR hurricanes, this one isn't even making us pay attention to it...as at BEST, it'd be Cat 1 if not a tropical wave, by the time it gets to us....

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
The problem is all the rain. It might not have severe wind by the time it gets to Florida, but the flooding rains cause devastating beach erosion and mass flooding. Florida has been devastated this season, I don't know how much more they can take. Wuvlove, my sister sent me this picture. I think it is fitting.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   
my only consolation regarding Jeanne is that she may not have the time needed to get too strong. A cat 1 or cat 2 won't be too bad, I think Floridians are prepared and can handle that, but anything higher of course would not be good for any of us.

btw, I have noticed that the National Hurricane Center forecasted path for Jeanne has her only brushing by the southeast coast of Florida but Accuweather and others put us in the direct path....why the difference?

new topics

top topics

join