posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:56 PM
The virtual tour is courtesy of the Vatican Library.
The Sistine Chapel takes its name from Pope Sixtus IV, who restored the old Cappella Magna between 1477 and 1480. Prior to restorations a Cappella
Maggiore (Grand Chapel) is recorded as existing in1368. By the time of its demolition (to give way to the new one) the Cappella Maggiore was in a
Sixtus IV celebrated the first mass in the Sistine Chapel at which ceremony the chapel was consecrated and dedicated to the Virgin Mary.
The Chapel is famous for its architecture and its decoration that was frescoed throughout by Renaissance artists including Michelangelo, Botticelli,
Perugino and many others. They created a series of frescoed panels depicting the life of Moses and the life of Christ full with symbolism.
Today the Sistine Chapel is the official residence of the Pope in Vatican City. It is the site of the Papal conclave.