It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Appeals Court Rules Prop. 8 Ban On Gay Marriage Unconstitutional

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals says proposition 8 is unconstitutional !!!!

What doors open now ?

Someone will appeal however.

February 7, 2012 11:40 AM -- CBS San Francisco

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — A three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Tuesday that Proposition 8, California’s voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, is unconstitutional.

But backers of the controversial voter-approved law quickly signaled that they planned to appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court.

The court ruled 2-1 to uphold the decision of a lower court judge, U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker of San Francisco, who determined in Aug. 2010 that Prop. 8 was a violation of the civil rights of gays and lesbians.

Like They Say --- Let Freedom Ring

Prop 8 Unconstitutional !

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

It's about dang time. There is NO legal grounds by which to ban gay marriage. The best argument they have is religious...and there is a distinct separation of church and state in the United States Constitution.

I'm sorry, it seems I owe the government a sincere apology for believing every teacher I've had since kindergarten. I thought the constitution actually stood for something.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Yes!

A government of the people for the people by the people....

However, that is only as long as the courts agree!

Personally, I could care less what people do, marry a cow if you want but I do believe that people of a like mind should have some say in the laws for their locality.

I understand the real fear of the "tyranny of the majority"; however, exchanging that fear for the "ignoring the will of the majority for the sake of the minority" is just a bad.

It’s just a different tyrant in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

If we went back in time, let's say, to the time that black people were slaves, do you think that before the "revolution" the people of America would have voted to end it? Or maybe, the time where women had no rights and the majority liked it that way

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Why bother voting in America anymore? If we elect a President and TPTB don't like it, the Super Court selects the other guy and to hell with us. If the people of California make their will on this matter known MULTIPLE TIMES by a LARGE MAJORITY of voters...who cares? Find a Judge and get it overturned.

They wonder why we don't bother voting?? THIS IS WHY. Vote all you want, Judges will still decide how things are going to be and consider it a happy coincidence if that happens to match the will of the voting public. It may or may not...and the fact it IS the will of the public matters not.

This isn't even about the merits of gay people getting married. It's about whether the people have any say on anything of any kind, anymore. Apparently, that is a resounding NO.

What I find funny tho....The same people who cheer and applaud the fact this ruling stomps down the will of the people will be the same ones out there calling the courts a bunch of puppets in black robes when a decision goes against them and the liberal cause doesn't rule the day. The 'great men' suddenly become stooges to the Republican Party then.. Gotta love how all that works, eh?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Yep,

There is pro and con with this issue for sure.

Individual "rights" vs. the "rights" of the voting majority.

Catch-22 itself is now stuck between a rock and a hard place.

They have the laws stacked to allow whatever the strongest party wants.

Makes you wonder who's "rights" are actually right !!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Already posted

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed.

join