It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother of Richard O’Dwyer: “America is trying to control and police the Internet”

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Richard ran a web site, TVShack.net, posting links to other sites where people could download copyrighted content including movies and TV programmes. Despite not breaching UK laws, US prosecutors demanded his extradition to the US where he could face up to 10 years imprisonment if found guilty. His extradition was cleared by a British court earlier this month.

I was just reading this article,it has an interview with this guys mother. She makes some really good points about America using Terrorism Laws to in a sense 'police' the world.

WSWS: While there are historical differences in law, the British government has gone along with the European directives especially since 9/11.
Julia: Since this law came into effect in 2004, only one terrorist has been extradited to America. Yet the whole thing was set up for terrorists. I have up-to-date figures from the Home Office that say from January 2004 to November 2011, there have been 60 requests from America for extraditions from the UK.

She also points out that that it can take years to fight extradition before you can even defend yourself. In her son Richards case the law in the UK and the United States differs. It has to be an offence in both countries. They also talk about how America is trying to control the internet with SOPA/PIPA.

WSWS: There is a wider political issue in Richard’s case—and that is the attempts of the US government to clamp down on the freedom of the Internet and bring in new laws like SOPA, PIPA.
Julia: I don’t know the detail of these laws, but I can see that it’s about America trying to control and police the Internet. Well, it doesn’t belong to them, does it? It’s wrong that America should lay laws down on the Internet for other countries. I don’t think America should rule the world.

I feel sorry for this guy. Looks like he may get 10 years in a US prison if the appeal fails. Its an interesting interview,his mother goes on to make some good points about wikileaks and mentions she is in contact with Gary McKinnon [facing extradition for hacking US military computers]. She also points out that Richard is portryed unfairly by MSN.

www.wsws.org...

edit on 7-2-2012 by theubermensch because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
The Huffington Post is running cover for Obama on this one.

The question was submitted by Michael Mozart of Connecticut. He asked: "Why are you personally supporting the extradition of UK citizen Richard O'Dwyer for solely linking to copyright infringing works using an extradition treaty designed to combat terrorism and bring terrorists to judgement in the USA?" Obama told him that he was "not personally doing anything" as the president did not get involved in such decisions. "One of the ways our system works is the president doesn't get involved in prosecution decisions and extradition decisions and this has been a decision by the justice department," he said. "Broadly, we want to make sure intellectual property is protected we want to make sure that the creative works of people in this country aren't expropriated, but we want to do it in a way that is consistent with internet freedom."

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Just let it keep going until the reality can't be argued. That's about all there is left to do. There is too much momentum for it to stop or slow down right now.

I'm sure a few can read between the lines on this post.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by theubermensch

hi uber
it is a tragic situation. richards family could end up becoming the cash cow for the system. no legal aid and all fees i suspect stateside will have to be met from them. i guess the prison industrial complex is tendering for tourism whilst the legal process generates the revenue streams.
popular search engines seem to be immune to what richard faces through simply hosting links. good luck to the lad.
f

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
At this rate, america will have a higher population of prisoners than actual citizens in years to come. To be totally honest, i can only hope that the supreme courts overthrow this ridiculous 9/11 extradition treaty because it is being abused to the maximum.

Talk about land of the "free". Herding up people from all over the globe to stick in their jails (for laws that don't apply to their country of residence). And the best part, tax paying american's will be paying the bills for these "prisoners", i can see that going down well... i can see a few people going against the governments decision on these cases in america, and standing for their country etc refusing to pay tax for un-needed INNOCENT or harmless prisoners. But as with most cases alot of americans don't seem to be bothered about what goes on in the world unless it involves a sitcom or some kind of soft drink.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by fakedirt

Hey,
yeah I really feel bad for the guy. Its not like he made a fortune or anything. And like you say, the legal battle in itself would be a massive strain. I hope everything works out for him somehow.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by InsideYourMind

I second all of that

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Just let it keep going until the reality can't be argued. That's about all there is left to do. There is too much momentum for it to stop or slow down right now.

I'm sure a few can read between the lines on this post.

Agreed. America is eventually going to economically destroy itself if its' government continues with this behaviour. Whenever you extradite a foreign national, someone has to pay for the petrol for the flight. It isn't free.

Let Obama run DC as Mordor if he wants to. It won't last very long, before the country will economically and logistically exhaust itself. America might be rich, but its' resources are not limitless.

Let the giant bleed itself dry, trying to purge the world of gnats of its' own making.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I acutally believe people are supposed to stand up for each other against NWO. That means, he would never be in a court house without millions around it, and all telling the Judge we are in contempt of your court, for we have contempt for slavery and he is not your toy any longer, he is free.

We need to stand up and squish this down.

We must never give authority over to corruption.

The US does not set the laws of other countries and has no authority to extradite according to its nazi's law.

The way to get rid of the copyright is for everyone to break them openly. Everyone to stand up for each other. And I guess by everyone I mean a really good chunk of people.

I renounce and denounce all slavery and advantages to the few. I renounce and denounce banks, copyrights, patents and if I could read their laws, probably a hefty portion of what they term laws.

Evil is evil, good is good. I won't endorse evil as good.

People need to start sticking together and supporting each other. The UK should ensure their judges are fired who miscarry justice, their governments are towing the line, by huge numbers and they need to protect that young man. One way is for millions to give notice to the system each way and then all do what he did. If 1/3-1/2 the country did this, and gained more, this would be over.

So far everything I've seen they need permissions from us to impose fascism and a lack of free will. We have to ensure the message is loud and clear that there are none given.
edit on 7-2-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
The only thing that stops this and all other NWO features is people standing up and supporting one another and writing/phoning, even lininig up at their representatives offices or court houses with bullhorns, by a very impressively large number.

And never ever backing down. Just getting louder if they try to suppress you.

And we also have to determine what they're passing as slave laws and break them all openly all the time.

top topics

join