It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa Issues 2013 Solar Storm Warning

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

NASA has warned of a once-in-a-lifetime ‘space storm’ after the sun wakes ‘from a deep slumber’ sometime around 2013, causing ‘20 times more economic damage than Hurricane Katrina’.

Senior space agency scientists believe that the super storm would hit like ‘a bolt of lightning’ and damage everything from emergency services’ systems, hospital equipment, banking systems and air traffic control devices, through to “everyday” items such as home computers, iPods and Sat Navs.

And unless precautions are taken, it could cause catastrophic consequences for the world’s health, emergency services and national security.
"We know it is coming but we don’t know how bad it is going to be,” Dr Richard Fisher, the director of NASA’s Heliophysics division, said in an interview with The Daily Telegraph.

coupmedia.org...

I can't find the official Nasa statement although this sounds very interesting to me. We have heard lots theories about 2012/2013 and possible changes coming, some of those have been said to be solar flares that will effect the earth in a variety of ways. If this is true then it does seem very interesting given the context of all the other prophecies and theories regarding this period.

I am not saying this is totally legit, although it seems definitely worth looking into given the context and timing.

Every 22 years the Sun’s magnetic energy cycle peaks while the number of sunspots — or flares — hits a maximum level every 11 years. Fisher said these two events would combine in 2013 to produce huge levels of radiation.

Cheers
edit on 7-2-2012 by sir_slide because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
It sure does seem we have at least a couple real world and serious things coming at about the same time as the legends and prophecies. It'll either add to the hysteria some segments start getting as 'the date' gets closer....or it'll help explain things that continue to develop. Either way, it is certainly impossible to ignore the solar maximum coming at around the same time.....first quarter-into 2nd of 2013, actually. It's going to be a long year.

Sunspot count is running right about the predicted line so far, if that helps....

Sunspot prediction vs. count chart over time.
edit on 7-2-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

This is the official statement from NASA as of January this year...

The current prediction for Sunspot Cycle 24 gives a smoothed sunspot number maximum of about 96 in late 2013. We are currently over three years into Cycle 24. The current predicted size still makes this the smallest sunspot cycle in over 80 years.

solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov...

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Let it come. I grow tired of our "modern" life. Put people to work when their survival is on the line, not for the next blackberry or iPad that is coming out.

Nothing we can do about it but sit back, relax, enjoy the show and then get to work in the fields.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Thanks Wickus, I'm not really sure what that means though....

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by sir_slide

It's his way of saying "Hush, go back to sleep. Nothing is going to happen". In the absence of Phage.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

um... story link date is July 2011... a bit more than 72 hours..

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by R_Clark

Lucky it's not in the breaking news section then ey?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

Thought so, phage has been about today though, just a matter of time I imagine.....I hate predictability

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

It means current predictions are saying that we will reach solar maximum late 2013 and it will quite small.

If you go to the link you can see the sunspot progression graph.

It is only a prediction though and a big eruption can still happen at any time.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Cheers for the response, quite small compared to what it's been in the past?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Sorry but i believe the world ends in 2012...

Duh...

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I think the truth to the story is not as sensational.

I believe this is stemming from a report done by NCAR released in 2006 by NASA. Which I searched for and found this:

Like most experts in the field, Hathaway has confidence in the conveyor belt model and agrees with Dikpati that the next solar maximum should be a doozy. But he disagrees with one point. Dikpati's forecast puts Solar Max at 2012. Hathaway believes it will arrive sooner, in 2010 or 2011.

Source

They didn't seem that confident back then, of course that was not the end of it. It was rehashed in 2010:

Link

This was discussed at a Space Weather conference in DC and covered by the media.

Link

Here is a excerpt from the 2010 NASA report:

The National Academy of Sciences framed the problem two years ago in a landmark report entitled "Severe Space Weather Events—Societal and Economic Impacts." It noted how people of the 21st-century rely on high-tech systems for the basics of daily life. Smart power grids, GPS navigation, air travel, financial services and emergency radio communications can all be knocked out by intense solar activity. A century-class solar storm, the Academy warned, could cause twenty times more economic damage than Hurricane Katrina.

Which ties in with the article from the OP:

Which all of this has been rehashed by the link in OP...

In any event, most of the original sources for the story can be found in this post.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

I feel the EXACT same way!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeTan

Originally posted by sir_slide

It's his way of saying "Hush, go back to sleep. Nothing is going to happen". In the absence of Phage.

Priceless!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
The original article is from the Daily Telegraph 18 months ago and it is full of misquotes and bad information.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

So it was a Nasa person speaking to the telegraph who you, because of misquotes and the such deem to be illegitimate? Or are you saying the article is no good because of the misquotations?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

The article is a sensationalist load of crap. Twisting what was really said.

science.nasa.gov...

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Alrighty then

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

It's true that there's nothing we can do. However, it won't just send us back to the stone age. It will be catastrophic for every living thing on the planet. Think about how many nuclear reactors there are worldwide. Without power we won't be able to keep the fuel rods cooled. There will be meltdowns worldwide. Nothing will be able to escape the large amounts of radiation released due to these meltdowns. Basically causing an extinction level event. Sucks to be us. Live it up while you can. Cheers.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join