It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is America a Police State?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
My first impression is that the simple fact that you created this thread means that no, the US is not a police state.

Now if you've been cuffed and charged with treason sometime during the time you wrote the thread and I read it, then perhaps it is.

Police state is rather strong wording. We still have the bill of rights.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Maybe so..probably more now than before.

But at least it isn't completely locked down like China.

However it could be heading in that direction, as it already looks like a millitary state these days..

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paschar0
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

"Don't Taze me Bro" isn't the best example only because you have a point, it's not the venue to stand up and hijack the floor regardless if your "anti" or "pro" whatever.

A better example are events like OWS. Whether or not you agree with them is irrelevant, the founding fathers had political protest in mind when they drafted all these silly antiquated rights and freedoms.

The fact that some cities require a "permit" or have "free speech zones" is unconstitutional and some of our very own citizen foolishly defend the government's actions. If they had their way, you wouldn't be allowed to protest, comment on the internet, NOTHING. So keep defending the tyranny because you don't like the content or people involved.

Touche' and you got me there. Context means everything, doesn't it? Now, I can't entirely agree without noting the obvious with OWS...some of what they get, they ask for. Okay...obligatory pre-clarification out of the way so I don't get Gotcha ambushed.

You're absolutely right there... OWS/Occupy has given them the opportunity to misuse equipment and tactics which authority managed to handle the entire 1960's counter-culture revolution without stooping to..so a fair point can sure be had by saying the precedent is pretty well there for the abuse now. In an organized and systemic way, it's set.

Lets hope...even if it's dpressingly slim hope.....but lets hope that after two fear mongering power trippers in the White House in a row, we get the next President with some common sense and balance. I shudder when looking at Romney, but the OP DOES have a point in the potential for far greater abuse having nothing to stop it now.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Ron Paul has called the US a Defacto Police State as opposed to a full blown one. Though I'm sure there are many here that will disagree with him on this point. However, you are not free to travel within even the confines of the US without a passport or travel ID. TSA and DHS are currently in the Brown Shirt stage and just itching to put on the Black uniform and double lightning bolts but hey, they are after terrorists for YOUR safety.

You need a permit to have a bake sale, lemon aid stand or plant a garden. Rain water that falls upon your house or property belongs to the state, not you. They can take your home, car, boat, plane and anything else they desire without a reason and you have no recourse for its return. They can confiscate your bank account domestically as well as foreign even though there is no legal jurisdiction in the foreign country to do so. You can be held without trial or charge indefinitely and you still think you have the Bill of Rights to protect you.

In the final analysis, the US is in fact a Police State under the guise of a Democracy while giving the illusion to the people of still being free. The perfect prisoner is one, though imprisoned, whom believes himself to be free though he is not. Just remember the next time you need to travel how free you are when they ask for your passport or travel ID.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I'm an ex-pat. It seems a bit pre-mature to say full blown, but it's certainly much closer than it was 20 years ago.

One simple sign for me is i do worry about what i say online. You can get in trouble for what you say. You can't in any way talk back to authorities without taking a risk of some form of retribution.

I'm more concerned than most because I need to travel back to the U.S. I certainly don't want to end up on some list without knowing why.

One of the first things i noticed when i moved to Europe is that the police are much less frightening in general. Even though I'm a straight arrow, the police have always made me nervous in the states, not so here.

The fact that the U.S. has the highest incarceration rate is also very telling.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Amen! Talk to your father or grandfather or hell check out a movie from 40 years ago. What you will find is that if you we're pulled over. You would demand to now why and would have a attitude about it.
Today if they light you up they treat you as a criminal. They will validate your constitutional rights if you do not stand your ground,which can be hard if you ask a question, for then you are told to shut up for not submitting to them. I would suggest everyone keep a.copy of your rights in your car or home.
Since the patriot act the powers that be have every legal right to profile and invade your privacy. The bill of rights and our constitution is being ratified. Where in the hell is the outcry. The people are charged with keeping democracy's incheck so the dream can be preserved.
The problem is if you challange authority you are deemed an extremist. We are being condition to except this as the norm. Prisons are a huge investments and profitable. More prisons are being built in the us today then ever before. Our children are being conditioned via cameras in schools as well as most establishments. As adults what ever happened to having your neighbors backs, instead of just knowing they are up to no good. Waiting to call the police on them. We are being controlled by fear and the division of the classes. For the record I have never been in jail like most of you. But like most of you I assume you now someone who has been taken advantage by the system. If you can afford representon you will get off,if not you are sodomized by the system.
Most would say well im not a criminal or terrorist so what's the bigdeal. Freedom is not taken all at once but piece by piece. When good people do nothing and do not take up for those who cannot take up for themselves then our future and your childrens future is fracked. The country you are leaving them Is a wdisservice to all that gave the ultimate sacrifice to preserve our rights.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

i agree that usa is totally a police state right now.

things are really bad and we pretty much can say that we have 1% of the freedoms we used to.

i miss how the constitution used to mean something, everybody could count on usa to be free and the good guys always won.

but now its like everyone is against everyone.
edit on 7-2-2012 by SoymilkAlaska because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska
reply to post by kn0wh0w

but now its like everyone is against everyone.
edit on 7-2-2012 by SoymilkAlaska because: (no reason given)

Divide and conquer. Though I am a 100% believer in equal rights, this seems to have be the consequence.

If there is one conspiracy theory i believe in it's that. Some smart people knew that all these special interest groups would led to more division not less, which equals more control from the top.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
We're not a police state yet but the framework for one is being developed. Very scary indeed as while most of these tactics aren't being used against the common person now, they may be used in the future. I don't think anyone can argue that given the current framework, it is a possibility regardless of how small we think that chance may be. Personally not something I want to ever have to worry about, and unfortunately we're setting ourselves up for a rough road ahead by not becoming more involved in politics and ensuring our liberties are no longer violated.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

In my humble and respectful opinion, yes we are either a Police State or very close to one.

All the things you mentioned are true, you now need a permit to gather in a group, cameras everywhere, if you see the documentary, "The Hacking of America" you learn that there is even the possibility that our voting system is rigged and we, The People have little or no say as to who actually is placed into office.

The police and military are becoming more and more intertwined and that in and of itself is dangerous.

I strongly suggest, every single one of you buy and read two books, both by Naomi Wolf:

** The End of America
** Give Me Liberty

In "The End of America" Ms. Wolf got to know a survivor of Hitler's Nazi Germany, a survivor - and she kept telling Naomi, "It's happening all over again. It's Nazi Germany all over again."

I just turned 59 and became politically aware November 22, 1963. I was ten and remember Sister Theresa Mary rolling in the TV on the big high stand - than we watched history. I was in one of the back rows and heard her say to the Superior Mother, "They finally got him."

I was lucky to have had Sister Theresa Mary and a little tiny old black lady, I can't even remember her name but she was the best teacher because both of these wonderful ladies taught us to think for ourselves and to not accept everything written down in the history books.

__ (high school) told us, "History is always rewritten by the conquerors, you usually only get one side of the story so you must always keep an open mind and search for the truth."

A lot of younger people now days don't talk to their grandparents, they find them "boring".

After cleaning out the barn and feeding, watering and milking the cows I would go down the hill sometimes for breakfast and to talk to Grandma X. I was fascinated by her stories of the flu in 1918, women did not wear lipstick unless they were "loose", women also did not vote nor could they drink in the front part of a bar, there was a separate backroom for ladies, etc.

Now, just since 1963 when I became politically aware, America has changed and changed a lot.

The final straw and I still resent and yes I say resent every single one of you sheep that have allowed the TSA to scan and grope you.

If every single person had refused to be scanned or groped, those scanner machines (and I'll wager they reconfigure or muck with your DNA) If every single person had refused this being treated like cattle - those machines and gropers would now be history because the only thing in America that talks is $.

America is owned and run by the large corporations and banks and it's mandates are carried out locally by the police and nationally by the military.

We give over 50% of our money over to the military when we should be demanding more than 50% of our money going towards human services.

You put your money where your mouth is. America is one giant war machine run by the large corporations and bankers that are hell bent on bullying other countries resources in the name of liberty and at the expense of their own people. We, are their slaves and not even aware of it. We do their bidding because they keep us scared by orchestrated "crisis". There is always, you will notice "a crisis", this is how the few control the many, through fear.

A really good (and currently free article can be found here for people that like to research: www.lionofjudah1.org...

The name of the 5 page article is The Life Cycle of Empires and America’s Destiny By Eric V. Snow.

Again, just my own opinion and experience, I'm not a world traveler, only have a couple years of college and many of you out there probably have a lot more education and higher IQ but from what I have seen, we are now entering a very serious phase and is EVERYONE does not put down that remote, HP / Twilight Novel, Xbox, Play Station, Ipod, cell phone and get actively involved in our government, we may be headed towards, if not already there, a real police state.

Simply read the two books previously mentioned and you decide.

There is always hope, there is always change but each of us must accept responsibility for the government we have allowed to flourish. Each of us must care enough to not just read a news paper or watch one hour of corporate propaganda but do the leg work, do the research as to what is really going on and than act accordingly.

If you are on ATS and reading theads like this vs the more lighter threads you've at least begun to question and that in and of itself is good.

The next step is to write or e-mail your reps and yes the President.

If you are afraid of being on "a list" (several people in another thread told me I should be) than what does that say about our government?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Thersander

Freedom is not taken all at once but piece by piece. When good people do nothing and do not take up for those who cannot take up for themselves then our future and your childrens future is fracked

Your above quote says it all. And I hope everyone re-reads your short and sweet post several times and let it really sink in.

Everyone thinks this won't affect me, if I pretend this isn't happening, it will go away.

Well folks, we have nobody to blame but ourselves, the signs were all there for those that took the time and effort to research further than their TVs and newspapers (which are now all currently owned by 5 corporations).

The three stooges use to do a skit, inch by inch, piece by piece, slowly I turn........................watched them as a kid and every time I now watch the Senate or Congressional Channel, those words run chills down my back.

Now for fun..................Your government is suppose to be working for you not vice versa right?

Check out the medical and retirement package for your Congress and Senators.

Compare their benefits to yours.

I did a post on this a couple years back here on ATS and got about 20 replies of "who cares", "so what"............well folks, I told you so, you get exactly what you put into something.

If you don't care, don't unite, don't rebel, don't research and research deeply - you and your children will end up slaves to a system of tyranny.

Cameras filming your every move, everywhere, (except where they should be), drones patrolling, police not held accountable for ooops, sorry wrong house, wrong person.

We've all been warned, we've been warned 20 years ago this was coming.

Again if you allow this you condone it...............if you allow yourself to be scanned, or groped, you by your silence and compliance condone it.

Next will come the chip.

We've already allowed our leaders to outsource our jobs, making more of us beholden to "the government".

The Police and Military simply are the henchmen................the enforcers.

We are really a Corporate Dictatorship.

A country owned and run by the large corporations.

And no, corporations are not people - most people own very little stock - it is the 1%, the elite that own the most stocks and thus "the companies".

It is the banks that can print funny money.

A Federal Reserve that isn't even Federal - do the research. The Federal Reserve is a system of banks, privately owned.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I wouldn't say so, though living in Texas I'm only technical in the U.S

As for being a police state? I think its the drug wars, its just downright stupid the way the U.S handled that. Our freedoms and the Rah Rah Rah of our Militarism happened around the cold war. Before WW2, the U.S was a free society for the most part, excluding that the Civil Rights movement hadn't happen yet(Which might have not happen if it weren't for WW2 to show us how terrible racism is and where it can lead) but for the most part people were allowed the right to their bodies and the only true crimes were ones that involved hurting or robbing other people.

EDIT: Just to clarify Prohibition for Alcohol happened around 1919(Pre-cold war though it was shorted lived) Cannabis was banned around the depression era 1930's, mostly due to and get this Racism. However the cold war, and the war on terror has continued to fuel the war on drugs(In particular cannabis) though the whole the communist/terrorist will win deal.

I'm not trying to put rose tinted glasses on the past though, because it still was a hard time.

Anyways, because of the Cold war and McCarthyism the U.S is when freedoms started eroding. People were afraid of spies, military spending was being ramped up. Bullsh*t reason to ban this or that was happing, reasons to raid this or search that. Freedom of speech became taboo, because thinking other than the Status quo could make you a sympathizer to the Communist party.

After the cold war ended, and things started to slow down around the late 90's, social and economical issues were starting to become a priority in the U.S. Then once 9/11 happened, the whole Rah Rah Rah thing was starting up.

So the Moral of the story is, don't let history repeat itself.
edit on 2/7/2012 by Mcupobob because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by kn0wh0w
reply to post by redoubt

Hitler was not a tyrannical dictator

Excuse me...?

Don't be a simpleton. You don't have to buy overdoses of two-tone explanations. Take some time, understand the persons and events.

No, Hitler was not an overbearing, tyrannical leader. In fact, he was elected... by his own people.

Hitler was charismatic and a very powerful speaker.

Now, that being said, he was likely quite mad and led his country to utter destruction and ruin, along with attempting genocide on the Jews as well as other peoples.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

Did you not hear about the British pair who were denied entry to the US after tweeting a joke on Twitter? If this is not the actions of a 'Police State' hidden under the guise of 'War on Terror' then I don't know what is...

Two British touists were barred from entering the United States after joking on Twitter about “destroying America”.

Leigh Van Bryan and Emily Bunting’s Twitter feeds were monitored by US special agents who also took exception to a comment about “digging up Marilyn Monroe”, the Sun reported.

Upon the pair’s arrival in LA – where they hoped to spend a three-week holiday – they were held by armed guards, questioned for five hours on suspicion of planning to “commit crimes” and then put in cells overnight.

Van Bryan, 26, claims he was forced to share a cell with Mexican drug dealers.

Despite explaining he had used the term “destroy” as slang for partying, and insisting the Tweet about Marilyn Monroe was a joke, the pair were put on a flight back to Britain the next day

Visit the link for full article

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Is America a Police State?

Yes and has been for awhile............while most of us are busy watching Dancing With The Stars, reading Harry Potter, playing with our Xboxes and ipods because, "this kind of stuff will never affect me"......bet that's what many Jews said as their neighbors disappeared into the night never to be heard from again as Hitler was setting up "the final solution", but nobody paid attention then and nobody is still paying attention now.

History just keeps repeating itself because we humans just don't learn very well.

Again I have asked you folks out there to buy two books by Naomi Wolf, "The End of America" (she describes what a police state is) and "Give Me Liberty".

Do we live in a police state?

Simply watch the videos below WARNING NOT PLEASANT.

The police I have met have all been very kind and professional but if you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time with any family members or friends that may be "classified as dangerous" you too may end up a victim.

When in doubt, "the system" protects it's own and "the police" are not really here to protect and serve "the People" they are to protect and serve "the system".

This guy below may have deserved getting his face punched in but the law states that even a cop killer deserves a trial and not to be tortured.

A 7 year old little girl in the video below, because her uncle was involved in criminal activity and the police tried to cover up her murder by them. May 10th will mark the 2nd year anniversary of this little angel's death at the hands of some one who vowed to "protect and serve".

The one below may be from England, not sure but this is now global.

News Reporter is not allowed to film.

Firefighter at rescue scene

Restrained dog...............yes dog was struggling, but dog had a animal control pole collar on - shot in head. At 1:28 dog is laying on side tail wagging in submissive position.

This is beyond what was called for, this is illegal, it's torture pure and simple.

Then we have the famous pepper spray in a row and on and on and on it goes and you all just keep sitting there and letting this "system" kill our children, our animal companions, anyone a cop chooses to and they get a slap on the wrists.

The little 7 year old girl and dog really upsets me................................again, you have a dog, any dog - keep them right next to you because you CANNOT TRUST THE POLICE to protect and serve the People.

We allowed this to happen by our docile compliance to "the system".

We condone this by our docile compliance to "the system".

And those that do try to change the system, protest peacefully are ridiculed by many even here on ATS.

As long as we keep thinking and acting like "this will never happen to me", "I don't care this doesn't affect me"...........this will escalate and get only worse.

I lived on a farm and when the sheep were loaded onto the truck headed for slaughter, they were dumb, docile and went to their deaths compliant.

Compliant to the system is now suicide.

Something needs to change.

The few controlling the many are tyrants and those of you thinking, "I will escape this tyranny, this won't affect me."

You are fooling yourself, remaining asleep when the bear is at the door quietly sniffing your scent.

I wish I could express myself better so as to wake you all up because we're all like those sheep and already on the truck.

But, most of you reading this will simply go on with your ordinary lives and keep allowing this stuff to happen.

TSA, Scanners, police with unlimited authority, beatings before a trial, torture, children and "pets" killed............how much more is it going to take to wake the rest of you up?

Or, are most of you in a trance, medicated or mind conditioned?

How far can this go? Will this go?

I spoke with a young lady that did my sleep study, she is from Africa. "Men in uniform came at 2-3 AM and took my 2 year old son and cut him in half with a machete."

"Oh but that could never happen here in America or Great Britain, we're civilized."

Go back and watch the videos......................we're headed down that road if we ALL OF US do not do something and soon.
edit on 28-3-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Not quite yet, but it's getting there.

When a person can't criticize their country for fear of being put in jail, then America's a police state.

When your living on government produced rations and have to stand long hours in line for one loaf of bread a week, then America's a police state.

When you can't get rich and wealthy because the government takes it all away, then America's a police state.

We still have some rights, after all, all you have to do is know them and know how to use them properly.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

I was at OWS in a major Midwest City and we had to have a permit.

We were filmed, making sure our faces were filmed by people with expensive equipment and dressed (my guess) as either FBI, NSA or CIA......they did not fit in, they were not dressed to protest, they were dressed in formal work attire.

The police I saw were polite but very edgy. I am a older small woman and you could tell looking at me and my husband and friends we were suburban and non threatening type of people. There were five of us in our group.

All the people I met at OWS were really nice decent, caring people.

My guess is you have not read Naomi Wolf's books, you have not researched enough.

Police now have shot, killed and maimed innocent people. A lot of innocent people, many children and unarmed citizens.

Our Constitution is mostly but a memory...............search warrants, bugging, tapping, monitoring of common people (it's never those "in power" just the "common folk"), Police and swat teams should not be allowed to enter your property without a search warrant by a judge - yet it's now done regularly and people, pets are killed - didn't you watch the videos above?????

Freedom to travel, yes if you are will to stand in front of a machine and be radiated and have your naked body (like a farm animal) filmed and on data base.

Will you watch this one video, it's ten minutes..............then decide.

You have closed your mind off and are in denial in my opinion.

We have already hit the Police State Stage.

History keeps repeating itself because humans are so easy to manipulate.

When a person can't criticize their country for fear of being put in jail, then America's a police state.

Naomi Wolf interview

The actual arrest of Naomi Wolf (very good writer).

yet more arrests...........none of the people had guns or were violent.

Oakland CA - that rubber bullet in her face looks painful, was that right?

Rochester NY

David Icke on US Freedom / Police State

Hello, ever hear of Kent State where young peaceful demonstrators were killed?

Kent State: None of the kids killed were armed and dangerous - yet they were murdered for protesting. This alone puts your quote in the trash bin..................you protest now and you run the risk of losing your life.

How about Naomi Wolf herself taken to prison for peacefully attending OWS?????

You don't see we're already at the slaughter house door, start helping me to kick down the frickin door and escape or we are all going to be hanging on a meat hook soon.

Back in the late 60's I demonstrated against the Vietnam War, front line and the police back then were scary - I mean scary

While they did not hurt me (they did haul off a few that shouted out) they were very threatening. With billy clubs and shields.

Fascist Police State in 10 easy steps

1. Invoke a terrifying internal and external enemy (Middle East 7 anyone that protest our governments policies)
2. Create a gulag (Guantanamo Bay / torture)
3. Develop a thug caste (Police)
4. Set up an internal surveillance system (TSA, Scanners, gropers, cameras on every major tollway, street corner, parking lot, office / government building, cameras everywhere but where they should be)
5. Harass citizens' groups (Vietnam War, Kent State, OWS)
6. Engage in arbitrary detention and release (Is happening daily)
7. Target key individuals (Yep, certain individuals that are known to make too much noise get targeted, Naomi Wolf has to go through a special "check point" and her luggage is gone through and she is not a threat, they just want to "mess" with her.
8. Control the press (All of our news is censored and controlled heavily) I now have to go to alternative news sites to get real news. No, I don't care if Lindsey Lohan doesn't wear under panties or Paris Hilton made a sex tape or Winona Ryder stole a necklace or so and so is going into rehab.
9. Dissent equals treason (Bradley Manning, a true patriot, a whistle blower that would not blindly follow orders and tried to educate the American people now 600 days in prison - 250+ in solitary confinement and his face punched in (dispute me on that one and I will post picture) Go to my profile it's there.
10. Suspend the rule of law (Done all the time. An Oil Spill Is Not a License to Suspend the Rule of Law, Police can now shoot and kill anyone or their pets and in most cases get off.

How about 911 you buy the official story too I assume?

The police no longer work mainly for the people, they work now for "the system" it's getting more and more that way year by year as long as we the people continue to allow it.
edit on 29-3-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
This is important, but I didn't know where else to post it. I hope you read and watch.

The Battle of Athens

DID YOU KNOW--please read this and then watch the video
I was completely unaware of this event that took place in Athens , TN
in 1946. I did not know an armed revolt by WWII veterans ever took
place during our lifetime. A very sobering video to say the least.
Now the second amendment is a little clearer.
This movie is well worth the time.
voxvocispublicus.homestead.com...

FIRST FACTS:
DO NOT DELETE THIS bit of US History with which you may not have been
familiar - View This and Share It - pray it will never comes to the
need for such a response to government!!

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
David Icke does not live in America. He visits here now and then. Below in the video he describes his observations of how America has changed since his last visit.

Nice to get a fresh perspective.

Interesting talk as usual.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join