It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ego Cult

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by tetra50
reply to post by ottobot

yes, with math. Math is a language we invented as a representative process, to make analagous and predictive situations. However, it has its limitations, and perhaps should not always be used because of its comparative limitations. See the definition above I referenced for holism. It's only my opinion, of course, but I do think we rely on math far too often to express what isn't a matter of mathematics. It seeks to take the exact surprise I am speaking of out of anything else.

Well, we will just have to agree to disagree.

If R + 3 + & can equal EON, then I feel like there is plenty of surprise to go around.

Just look at the genetic diversity of humans. We all have the same coding, but there are an infinite number of results.

My point is that even though there are a set number of parts, we have no way of knowing what each part is made up of, how they combine, why they combine, or how they form a completely new entity when combined.

You are saying that you do not believe we are made of parts because because there are some indefinable and unexplained phenomena associated with us as beings. To you, we are whole only because we are whole.

Therefore, we are both right because we get the same result: Marvelous things can happen.
edit on 2/7/2012 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ottobot

Originally posted by tetra50
reply to post by ottobot

yes, with math. Math is a language we invented as a representative process, to make analagous and predictive situations. However, it has its limitations, and perhaps should not always be used because of its comparative limitations. See the definition above I referenced for holism. It's only my opinion, of course, but I do think we rely on math far too often to express what isn't a matter of mathematics. It seeks to take the exact surprise I am speaking of out of anything else.

Well, we will just have to agree to disagree.

If R + 3 + & can equal EON, then I feel like there is plenty of surprise to go around.

My point is that even though there are a set number of parts, we have no way of knowing what each part is made up of, how they combine, why they combine, or how they form a completely new entity when combined.

You are saying that you do not believe we are made of parts because because there are some indefinable and unexplained phenomena associated with us as beings. To you, we are whole only because we are whole.

Therefore, we are both right because we get the same result: Marvelous things can happen.
edit on 2/7/2012 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

Yes, that is some of what I am saying, but not all. I wouldn't call the above phenomena, necessarily, and I am not speaking just about us as beings. I am also talking about other natural systems. I do believe that systems can be separated into the parts, but not only the recognition of the parts is at work here. And since we may be limited in our abilities to perceive and recognize and therefore, know about these "parts," we cannot necessarily replicate, disassemble and reassemble and predict behavior, causation or outcomes.
For example, on another thread I have been in a discussion with someone asserting that our consciousness is nothing more than a product of our genetics, the hardware on which we run. I do not agree with this. For one, I find this an extreme oversimplification of something very complicated, genetics, epigenetics and environment, and conclusions about all of this arrived at by studies and statistical information limited by the closed loop of the math involved. I also think there is still much we do not know, nor have the perception at the moment to recognize, not quantitatively express. This is just an example.
In a Holistic viewpoint, also included in the "guesswork" of our assumptions is the idea that you must know everything about the parts of the system, not only have identified all the parts, but know the history and/or evolution of them, to judge them and their workings, and be able to take the system apart, study, and put it back together and repeat every time the same result said system experienced.
But yes, largely, we do agree. Miraculous things can happen.
I do, however, believe we focus far too much on our created, literal language of math, as we are wrapped up in observable, tangible reality, while we may lack knowlege of things because it is at this moment outside of our perceptive or quantitative abilities.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ralphy

It seems the concept ego has become to some in the spiritual community, what Satan is to Christianity. There is a common idea that the ego is bad and that it needs to be removed from life or at least try to drown it out through meditation. I'm not discouraging meditation but I don't encourage avoidance or running away. It is impossible to get rid of the ego when we all have different perspectives in life. Ego really is just our perspective, perspective is all we have at the moment here on earth in these bodies. The ego is a result of life exposing itself to us in a unique way that is not seen to anyone else.

In my opinion, the ego is a natural part of our life experience.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts as I know not everyone will agree with me. I would still like to know what you think none-the-less.

What is going on are psychopaths in wrong places for government and doing bad things for the country. Egomaniacs who are the wrong kinds of egos. Self-obsessed and "Me" and that infantilization goes to the public that "me" is more important than "we" the community as a public.

The "Spiritual Community" sounds like that holistic stuff that is insanity meant to cover you in wooly hair like an ape (and not be a human.) Most of these Spiritual communities are led by a patriarch with an obsession associated with Jupiter, chauvinistic cults and they belong in a fish tank looking at the fishy's.
edit on 8-3-2012 by MarkScheppy because: add

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join