It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe Rises Up Against ACTA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
www.washingtonsblog.com...

Wow! I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Too cool for words and I am so excited I can hardly type much less think. Please read the article for full details.

Following the growing protests about ACTA in Europe, as well as signs of US meddling, Poland’s prime minister is making it clear that Poland will not ratify ACTA for the time being, leading to speculation that the EU may not actually join ACTA.

Tusk’s backtracking could spell the end of ACTA for the entire European Union. If Poland or any other EU member state, or the European Parliament itself, fails to ratify the document, it becomes null and void across the union. As it stands, there are already five member countries that have not even signed ACTA.
“I share the opinions of those who from the beginning said that consultations were not complete,” Tusk said, according to a report in Wirtualna Polska. The 54-year-old prime minister added that a Polish rejection of ACTA is now on the table, and admitted that he had previously approached the agreement from a “20th century” perspective, due to his age.

By all accounts, the number of ACTA protests in Europe is overwhelming:

Anonymous hacked the Greek Ministry of Justice and is weighing in on this leaving warning on the hacked webpage that:

Greece had two weeks to “stop ACTA,” and that if it failed to do so, some 300 sites would be defaced. The next targets will include both media and ministry sites, with the hackers announcing that they already had passwords for most sites and that this was “JUST the BEGINING [sic].”

Those anonymous masks are showing up all over, even on Polish politicians protesting ACTA.

Also at:
www.zerohedge.com...

edit on 2/5/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: add info

edit on 2/5/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: added something

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
It’s funny the things people get angry about, I am not saying acta is not a bad thing.. Because we should be against it.
But so much worse stuff has happened in recent times that people couldn’t give a crap about.. It really speaks volumes about where our society is at when we don’t care about innocent people being slaughtered or the environment being completely destroyed but we go crazy about our access to the internet. Reality is the only reason people care is because of their selfish self’s; people aren’t doing it to preserve freedom.
People only care when something obviously affects themselves, not some mother or child getting blown up half way around the world.
Wouldn’t you of expected people to get angrier about the indefinite detention bill in America then sopa and pipa?

The powers that be are testing us and know that we are the weakest of enemies at present. But if we used our brains we could overpower their tyranny in an instant.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Sounds good, let´s hope these anti-piracy lobbyists get the message finally, and stop lobbying more crap-laws our way like SOPA, PIPA, ACTA, it´s just a hassle for people having to waste their time in protests all the time, especially in this bitter cold. A recent ACTA protest was held in sweden, out of 11.000 that signed up to come to the protest, only 1000 showed up, due to the freezing cold over here at the moment.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Well thats some good news. I think the pic with all the masks is awesome, might be my new avatar.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Looks like the U.S.A is really pushing for ACTA.
So much so that they are becoming "busy bodies" by questioning Poland's voting on it, enough to be considered out of line:

--It was around 11.00 in the morning when an employee from the US Embassy called. She was curious about the voting [on ACTA]. He has counted the votes and she thought some of the deputies were missing. Eight deputies were for, three against, four have held up. Something's wrong here, because some votes seem to be missing." -- said Mieczysław Golba from Solidarna Polska.

As another Polish politician explained:

"-- If the US embassy was just interested in the voting itself, it's okay with us. But questioning about party discipline is scandalous"-- says Sławomir Neumann from PO. -- "Americans should calm down a little, as such behaviour is an interference into the internal affairs of the Polish parliament. We can treat Americans as friends, but there are some borders that one shouldn't cross.We are partners, but not a parliament dependent on the Congress or the president's Obama administration."

www.techdirt.com...

This doesn't surprise me at all. Not at all. What, is the NWO headquarters in Washington DC?
Keep it up US, it's backfiring.

Assuming this really was someone from the US embassy checking up on the whether Polish politicians were following the party line on ACTA -- there's been no independent corroboration yet -- it does seem pretty extraordinary. Judging by the generally outraged tone of the 1100+ comments on this piece, the Poles themselves don't seem very happy either. I think we can expect to hear much more about Poland's resistance to ACTA in the coming weeks.

The 1100 comments mentioned were to a Polish article about this:
wiadomosci.gazeta.pl...
(article in Polish)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I found this post on accessnow.org about the upcomming protest on Feb 11th which lists all of the participating cities... that is a really really long list.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCommentator
It’s funny the things people get angry about, I am not saying acta is not a bad thing.. Because we should be against it.
But so much worse stuff has happened in recent times that people couldn’t give a crap about.. It really speaks volumes about where our society is at when we don’t care about innocent people being slaughtered or the environment being completely destroyed but we go crazy about our access to the internet. Reality is the only reason people care is because of their selfish self’s; people aren’t doing it to preserve freedom.
People only care when something obviously affects themselves, not some mother or child getting blown up half way around the world.
Wouldn’t you of expected people to get angrier about the indefinite detention bill in America then sopa and pipa?

The powers that be are testing us and know that we are the weakest of enemies at present. But if we used our brains we could overpower their tyranny in an instant.

Welcome new member.
It's really nice for you to share your anger with us. Good luck with trying to guilt us about this. Most people here are going to see it as good news.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ColCurious

That is one long list. Europe rocks.
Thanks for posting it!

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

Kudos to the 1,000 that showed up.
Who would thought those masks from the movie "V for Vendetta." would take hold like they have?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady

Welcome new member.
It's really nice for you to share your anger with us. Good luck with trying to guilt us about this. Most people here are going to see it as good news.

No guilt, just reality.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Which is cooler:
seeing all those dots over europe representing peoples solidarity for liberty...and/or...
the members of polish parliament in guy fawks masks exercising their power to support it!!!
(added the 'and' by the 'or' simply because of the fact these are both great)

LOVE

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   

But so much worse stuff has happened in recent times that people couldn’t give a crap about.. It really speaks volumes about where our society is at when we don’t care about innocent people being slaughtered or the environment being completely destroyed but we go crazy about our access to the internet.

People being slaughtered and the environmeny being destroyed is background noise. The world being unable to access videos of Carmella Bing getting what she craves more than life itself from a random bald ex-con, on the other hand, is deadly serious business. Anything else on the planet happening may be tolerated, but url=http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/rule-34]Rule 34[/url] (non graphic) is utterly sacrosanct.

The pr0n must flow. Always. At all costs. NO MATTER WHAT.
edit on 6-2-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4
The pr0n must flow. Always. At all costs. NO MATTER WHAT.

And he who controls the pr0n, controls the universe!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Not one marker in Spain...

I am disappoint!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ThorsBrother

Yeah that's kind of strange.

There is one for ES Madrid now www.facebook.com...

top topics

join