It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How the Government Manufactures Low Unemployment Numbers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Source

Figures released Friday by the US Labor Department declare that the unemployment rate has dropped to 8.3 percent. While economists applaud the latest news, the reality is improvement comes only after 3 million jobless Americans are unaccounted for.

While job creation exceeded expectations for January, those experiencing long-term unemployment - those jobless for longer than six months, that is - remains at a record high.

In a new report from the Pew Charitable Trusts, it's revealed that those suffering the longest from the unemployment epidemic exceed any monthly statistic dating back to the Second World War. The Labor Department figures that 5.5 million would-be workers have been without employment for 27 weeks or longer, accounting for around 42.9 percent of the total tally of unemployed Americans.

The consulting firm Hamilton Place Strategies based out of Washington estimates that as many as 3 million additional unemployed workers have been without jobs for just as long but are not taken into consideration by the US government. For those unfortunate many, the Department of Labor simply stops including them in statistics once they are determined to have simply "given up" on the job hunt. They add in their study, however, that even if bettering economic conditions prompt those considered to have given up to reevaluate the job hunt, the government's "official" unemployment rate may once again surge to unfavorable numbers as the country's still staggering economy would not be able to create work for them.

It is not like a lot for us didn't know these numbers were being added carefully to include those who have been unemployed for a certain amount of time, I just hate hearing about how everything is improving because of Obama.

Anyone can make it look like they did a good job when they cherry pick their figures.

Obama inherited a crappy economy and a country going down the toilet, but to think he is working for the people is insane to me.

To think any president will work for the people is ignorant in politics today, whether it be Obama or any new GOP candidate.

They work for the people that make them billionaires, and these billionaires do not want to many of us mad before they take everything the country has. And by Obama lying to people and say that the unemployment numbers are going down this is exactly what they want.

But, anyone that thinks politicians do not lie, well they are too far gone...

Politicians don't occasionally lie though, they do nothing but lie...

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

If you calculate in the total deficit of jobs from 2008 to now (including the additions since 2010) it is a deficit of about 5.4 million jobs. Add in the growth of population, college graduates, and immigrant professionals the total job deficit of average yearly job growth in a good economy plus the total outstanding unemployed the total unemployed actively looking for work would be at approximately 12.5-15 million people .. far more if you include undocumented workers and small business owners (small business owners are never counted in unemployment) as well as the underemployed, which could be as high as an additional 2-5 million people.

This would place "real" unemployment somewhere around 19-23% This is backed by the Governments own numbers when they report yearly tax revenue. For the bottom 90% of the economy tax receipts have been in continuous decline. Due to a lack of jobs as well as professional jobs replaced with jobs that pay no federal obligations..

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
My husband, a vet, worked for his last employer from the time he was 13 years old. He went in the military at 17 but after 6 years of service went back to work for them. So he worked for them 25+ years. He never had a break in his work record and the man never missed work. I'm his wife, and I don't recall in the 20 years we've been together him ever missing more than 1 or 2 days of work a year. He was forfeitting paid vacation time for the last 3 years he worked because they'd laid off so much of their work force they were working those left in the ground.

And he can't get an interview anywhere. He's put in application after application, sent resumes, NOTHING. Not a call.

Well, one thing happened recently - he got a letter from the labor board that he didn't have enough experience for this job that he'd applied for - the letter said that they job required 12 months experience with AutoCad and he only had 8 years.

What the heck, you know?

I think it would help a lot of people would hire their own darn help instead of going through all these stupid, stupid 3rd parties. I don't understand this. I've been out of the workforce for a few years but I was in upper management when I did work, and I ALWAYS wanted to pick my own people to interview, and pick who I hired.

It really blows my mind now how no one wants to hire for themselves.

Anyways....if that is evidence of their math (Not enough experience, job requires 12 months and you only have 8 years)...it just reinforces to me that they don't know what they are doing when they publish the unemployment numbers. I thought it was just pure manipulation for a long time but now I 'm not so sure if they are just really that stupid to believe their own crap.
edit on 4-2-2012 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

join