It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep Deprivation Hallucinations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Anyone here experienced hallucinations from lack of sleep?

sleepdisorders.about.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by nekomata111

Most sleep deprivation hallucinations are caused by your brain releasing '___' in an attempt to knock you out. The second part of it is mental fatigue it causes your brain to confuse stimuli and misinterpret what you see and hear.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Oh,a few times.The last time I thought i lost it and almost went onto emerg.I could here people talking to me and I thought for sure my 80 year old neighbor was blaring rockin roll music from his shed.My dirty laundry pile was bubbling around like a bowl of jello.I actually though I had an OBE while awake when i started to converse with a distorted self........That was without four days of sleep and no alcohol or drugs of any kind...I would not recommend sleep deprivitation..

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
There was once a time I was working 12 hour night shifts, coming home (50 min drive) then having 3 hours sleep, then working a second job. Had to do it to support my starting little family.

One morning on the long drive home (after a few weeks of doing both jobs), the weariness begun to overwhelm me. I knew I had to get home, but my brain kept saying "you can sleep when you get home, keep going". I lost all faculties, I remember looking at my speedo and wondering why my car would only go at 20 km/h. What was all the honking about??? Then, right out of nowhere, this hand which was just like the hand from The Addams Family, but the size of a sky scraper slammed down in front of the freeway right in front of my car. I slammed on the brakes to avoid crashing into this enormous hand, I managed to get the car off to the side of the road while my brain struggled to compute what was going on. Then I fell asleep, slumped over the wheel, I slept about 7 hours like that at the side of the road. (still annoyed nobody on the freeway stopped to see if I'd had a heart attack!
)

When I finally came too, I realized I had hallucinated the huge hand thing, and realized bodies just cant operate doing menial tasks to pay bills when the body is dead. So I quit the second job.
Had to do it to support my starting little family.

edit on 4-2-2012 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by saroncan

Also, Salvidor Dali reportedly used to purposefully sleep deprive himself to paint surrealism under a state of hallucination. He would hold a cup filled with coins and sit in his chair, when he would nod off the cup would drop, make a racket and wake him up. No wonder his works were whacky!
edit on 4-2-2012 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

I had the same happen to me, during the floods last year I was working nonstop, I actually worked 76 hours straight and on the way home to south Brisbane I had to drive through road works, anyway the big concrete K rails had grafiti on them, I nearly crashed about 5 times as they appeared to be cows lol.

I eventually made it home, i slept for about 15 hours! And nearly lost my Job over it!!!

Its crazy though, after about the first 40 hours I couldn't talk properly and general conversations were nightmarish, I would forget what I was on about, forget what I was doing or
Where I was, was like a dream.

The last 15 hours were torture as it was night, I would feel like I was drifting off then would hear like a train sound from a distance then it was right onto of me, I would constantly fall off my chair from these non existent booms/bangs.

Hectic!

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
On occasion I deprive myself of sleep for 5-6 days, It helps me write and paint wild crazy things. The trick is to eat only apples and drink lot of water, only use caffeine on the last day to steady your hands.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by LongbottomLeaf

The second part of it is mental fatigue it causes your brain to confuse stimuli and misinterpret what you see and hear.

You mean just like the MSM and our entire political system does?

They need to be categorized as an illegal drug and we can never talk about them on ATS ever again, per the T&C.
edit on 4-2-2012 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Interesting replies... this week I stayed almost 40 hours without sleep and was starting to see shadows in the corner of my eyes that would instantly vanished and sometimes common objects start morphing and sharpening while I stared at them! fortunately I managed to sleep for 9 hours after and resumed my normal routine.........

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
i get these alot due to my job. i work for an alarm security firm - service engineer.
this happened lastnight after working my day shift 8:30 - 17:00, i was oncall that night.
A call came in 23:30 & i had to drive 95miles from my home to the job. the first 30miles i knew i was gong to be getting these hallucinations at some point, i had to pull in at a service station & get a coffee to get me to the job.
on my way home around 2:00am i started having blackouts, i would open my eyes just in time to make a corner, i know i should have just pulled over & slept but you keep thinking, a few more miles, i need to get home to bed. as this went on i'd open my eyes and see, lastnight for example -what appeared to be a huge golden disc or donut rolling infront of me which would then fade out into the dark. these objects were really bright though, in a black dark countryside...really weird. at one point i saw my son, he's nearly 3, stood in the middle of the lane..bright white glow around him...then fizzled out as i got closer. id open my eyes and see on the speedo im only doing 20mph! everytime i opened my eyes again its like 30miles had passed, i have no idea how i got home, 95 miles!
i do a callout shift 1 in 6 days. on a weekend you cover for 24hours!! it's so ridiculous that we're expected to do this. but in a time where jobs are hard to come by, family to support etc - what alternatives are there? we also have a 6month old baby, so every night is a disturbed sleep.

..these hallucinations i was having though, were almost like 'angles' in a way, waking me up in time so i didnt crash..i dunno - some weird # goes on this world...we just don't know half of what we're capable of.

top topics

join