It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is this

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
has anyone ever seen this before??
www.cryptozoology.com...
is it some kind of catfish???

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
i think its a sturgeon

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a manatee underside frontal view

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
It's a Horn Shark....found a link...

Horh Shark

[edit on 15-9-2004 by Der Kapitan]

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by minniescar
a manatee underside frontal view

Hmm, I don't think the jaw is right for a Manatee:
fmel.ifas.ufl.edu... (via google - there are others).

Plus what are those pits either side of the mouth ? - if it's a Manatee, it's nostrils are on the top of it's jaw.

Assuming a real creature, but not a Manatee - I'm going with 'fish' first, then get into the details from there - I'm not happy about it being of the catfish family there is no real evidence in this picture to suggest 'whiskers' so I'd guess that the pits are primary 'sense' organs.

The eyes look kinda small too, which adds weight to the development of other sensory organs - deep water, or dark/murky water then - beyond that ...

Sturgeon have pointier heads btw - you'll find a picture of a mouth here -
wlapwww.gov.bc.ca...

Do we know where the picture was taken ?
Are there any other shots ?

[edit on 15-9-2004 by 0951 as it had a rubbish sentence]

[edit on 15-9-2004 by 0951]

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Yes, it's real it's A SHARK.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   
What ever it is...

Its UGLY

`MacKiller

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
That person in the pic is a braver soul than I...I wouldn't put my hands near it!

Are you sure it's a Horn Shark? The coloring doesn't seem to match the photo at the provided link. It kinda reminds me of some type of ray, the kind with the more bulbous heads like that. But heck, I'm scared of water I can't see through so I'm no expert on marine life.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by MacKiller
What ever it is...

Its UGLY

`MacKiller

Yeah, but what about the fishy thing ?

(Sorry, couldn't resist - no offense to the diver bloke intended)
:-)

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
it is possibly a horn shark however given its size i think its pressing records size given they are normally 4 feet max and thats a pretty good size head for a 4 foot body. As for a manatee they have quite similiar mouths when they are open so i still wont rule it out.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   
i dont know anthing else about it 0951.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I'm inclined to agree with horn shark, the teeth are right for something that scrapes on moluscs and such. Also it does seem a little large for a specimen, but they can get upto 5ft and that is a low camera angle (which would help give an increased view of size.)

Found a front view of a horn shark

It's a little large so heres a link luna.cas.usf.edu...

you can clearly see both the folds around the lower jaw area, along with bulbous area where the pits at the end of the snout reside. Also they are bottom dwellers, not being too hot at swiming so the distress shown there would seem to fit.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by firedog
i dont know anthing else about it 0951.

No worries mate - it might have helped to narrow it down a bit that's all.

I'm ok with 'bottom-feeder' - I'd agree that the teeth and jaw look ok for mollusc scraping ... and on that last picture & related info - I'm coming round to this being a horn shark too.

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
It's a shark.

To the people who suggested catfish, manatee, or sturgeon, have you ever SEEN one?
They look NOTHING like the shark in this picture.

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Looks like a species related to a Nurse Shark or something similar. I think the Horn shark idea is a little off just because of the sheer size of the speciman in the picture presented.

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   
omg its godzilla crossbread with a worm.... lol dunno but if its somekind of shark.... well it the weirdest shark i have ever seen (the teeth dont seem to be that of a normal shark... i dunno im stumped)

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Why would a known speicis be on a cryptology site?

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   
been looking around that site and i found this pic: www.cryptozoology.com...
this is by far the uglyest shark i have ever seen... its going to replace the great white in my nightmares... bah i dont wanna go to sleep tonight.

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by beyondSciFi
been looking around that site and i found this pic: www.cryptozoology.com...
this is by far the uglyest shark i have ever seen... its going to replace the great white in my nightmares... bah i dont wanna go to sleep tonight.

That is a a shark from around the Japanese seas. I forget its name, but I will find it for you!

UPDATE: It is Mitsukurina owstoni or more commonly known as the Japanese Nose shark. I have never heard it been referred to as a "Goblin" shark, but who knows?

[edit on 18-9-2004 by Jazzerman]

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by beyondSciFi
omg its godzilla crossbread with a worm.... lol dunno but if its somekind of shark.... well it the weirdest shark i have ever seen (the teeth dont seem to be that of a normal shark... i dunno im stumped)

teeth? ever seen a gummy shark? or eaten flake?

yup i reckon its a horn shark

top topics

<<   2 >>

join