It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is not the first RatherGate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
The article speaks for itself... Basically in 1988 Rather brought interviewed several vietnam vets and picked the most horrid stories to put on the air. The only problem it was all false.

I love this quote from then CBS president Howard Stringer

"Your criticisms were not shared by a vast majority of our viewers," he sniffed, adding that "CBS News and its affiliates received acclaim from most quarters . . . In sum, this was a broadcast of which we at CBS News and I personally am proud. There are no apologies to make."

Have a look for yourself

www.nationalreview.com...

Critics are calling the media scandal over the Jerry Killian forgeries "Rathergate." But to thousands of Vietnam veterans, the real Rathergate took place 16 years ago when Dan Rather successfully foisted a fraud onto the American people. Then, unlike now, there was no blogosphere to expose him.

On June 2, 1988, CBS aired an hour-long special titled CBS Reports: The Wall Within, which CBS trumpeted as the "rebirth of the TV documentary." It purported to tell the true story of Vietnam through the eyes of six of the men who fought there. And what terrible stories they had to tell.

"I think I was one of the highest trained, underpaid, eighteen-cent-an-hour assassins ever put together by a team of people who knew exactly what they were looking for," said Steve Southards, a Navy SEAL who told Rather he had escaped society to live in the forests of Washington state. Under Rather's gentle coaxing, Southards described slaughtering Vietnamese civilians, making his work appear to be that of the North Vietnamese.................................

[edit on 15-9-2004 by BlackJackal]

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
The mass media smear campaign carrried out against Vietnam veterans over the last 35 years is one of the saddest act commited by a society on its veterans in all of history.

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

[edit on 04/9/15 by GradyPhilpott]

new topics

join