It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlantis is....Totally OBVIOUS

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Osiris1953
reply to post by Christosterone

Of course there is always the possibility that Tenochtitlan was built based upon Atlantean designs. Say we took Plato's account literally and it was in the Atlantic ocean, I suppose a group of people who would later become the Aztecs could have had exposure to the Atlantean culture, and adopted some of their aspects.

Still love Santorini, but as long as we're playing with possibilities, sounds like a good hypothetical to me.

I'd go with Santorini as one of the building blocks of the legend. If Tenochtitlan was 'Atlantean' inspired then those dudes had to wait around for nearly 11,000 years before sharing their ideas - I doubt that for some reason!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

This is wrong because Atlantis sunk. Some survivors were able to flee due to the technology and wisdom they had at the time. If you are willing to suspend your range of disbelief in order to understand what Atlantis actually was about, I recommend reading "The Emerald Tablets of Thoth". Thoth was one of the survivors who fled from Atlantis before it could be covered by the waves. Read this and you WILL expand your wisdom on not just Atlantis, but wisdom of the ALL.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
I'd go with Santorini as one of the building blocks of the legend.

So in your mind it is an aggregate legend like the Arthurian tales? As opposed to being one place who's existence, history, etc, had simply been distorted due to generations of the tale being passed by word of mouth?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Of course there is always the possibility that Tenochtitlan was built based upon Atlantean designs. Say we took Plato's account literally and it was in the Atlantic ocean, I suppose a group of people who would later become the Aztecs could have had exposure to the Atlantean culture, and adopted some of their aspects.

Still love Santorini, but as long as we're playing with possibilities, sounds like a good hypothetical to me.

I keep giving all the stuff you say stars!!!
And the adopted style is absolutely a possibility....i referenced it an above post and state that wish I had said it in my op...

Anyhow, i like ur style

-Chria

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I am actually tending towards the most recent theory

www.msnbc.msn.com...

that atlantis was found and is now burried in the mud, north of Cadiz in Spain, in the marshlands of the Dona Ana Park.

Simply because this theory is most plausible to me.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Thanks, but really you remind me of myself when I first came onboard ATS. You're smart, have some good ideas...even if they are a little half baked. You should see my first thread, it's almost stupid.

Anyhow welcome aboard. After 5 years I've seen all sorts of craziness 'round here....

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Using Plato's directions you will find yourself nearby the Azores islands, and the surrounding seabed area matches the Ancient Egyptian's measurements,

Not to mention all those monolith type structures peppered around the islands.

Strange it would be in the Atlantic Ocean? Or is it.
edit on 2-2-2012 by purplemonkeydishwasher because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemonkeydishwasher

Interesting thought, I hadn't heard this before.... must investigate further.

Thanks.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
If you go by plato's directions then atlantis is in front of the Pillars of Hercules, not far to the west but in front.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

I'd go with Santorini as one of the building blocks of the legend.

So in your mind it is an aggregate legend like the Arthurian tales? As opposed to being one place who's existence, history, etc, had simply been distorted due to generations of the tale being passed by word of mouth?

A story by Plato based on the myths current in his time plus some creative writing by himself.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

The problem with the Azores is that they show no signs of an earlier civilization before they were discovered. (It is possible the Phoenicians got there before the Portuguese). The lack of any evidence of a disaster, lack of human modified environment in the sediments, no stone tools, pottery, nada.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoshF
If you go by plato's directions then atlantis is in front of the Pillars of Hercules, not far to the west but in front.

Which would exactly match the "Dona Ana" theory:

There was also a docu in History channel recently about this.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Atlantis was in the North Atlantic, exactly as Plato stated, and he'd be very pissed if he could read all of the distortions of his words regarding Atlantis' location. Plato was very specific in saying he only dealt with facts as he was a man of science. In its final years circa 9600bc Atlantis consisted of three main islands in the North Atlantic in addition to it's colonies which were scattered around the Mediterranean, North Africa, Egypt and Central America.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

A story by Plato based on the myths current in his time plus some creative writing by himself.

That is complete bs; it was based on information passed down by Egyption priests for thousands of years. Solon got the story from Egyption priests while he lived and studied there.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
If you do a search you will find many threads also sharing your theory of Atlantis being South America.

There was one I came across in Feb or March last year that was very good but I can't find it again.
Here is an old one
Thread

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Thanks, but really you remind me of myself when I first came onboard ATS. You're smart, have some good ideas...even if they are a little half baked. You should see my first thread, it's almost stupid.

Anyhow welcome aboard. After 5 years I've seen all sorts of craziness 'round here....

Almost stupid???
At least my post isn't stupid....just almost!!!

I am quite glad I found this site...lots of interesting people with differing opinions on a range of issues.
Though at times I could deal without the snarkiness of some members...

My wife is an inner city er physician and I've had many, many nights over the last dozen or so years with just me and the cats and I wish I had found this site sooner...
It's nice to find a community of people who share similar interests and a desire to debate said interests....

I totally understand your point as to my post......but I stand by my feelings as it were since there is little proof to substantiate my op

-Christosterone

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

I remember reading (in college many years ago) about a group of islands in the Atlantic...
They were inhabited by light skinned, almost nordic looking people.
And when modern Europeans arrived in either the 18th or 19th century, they had some tablets that they had forgotten how to read...

I cannot for the life of me remember the islands nor the story of the tablets...

Maybe you remember what my old brain cannnot...

good post, btw...star for you

-Chris

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
lets go back to the source....
Plato was not the source as many believe, Plato was only trying to revive the knowledge of 'Atlantis' originating from the Egypt located Mystery School of Isis

lets begin:

www.atlantisquest.com...

Q. Since Plato lived circa. 350 B.C. and Atlantis sank circa. 9,700 B.C. (a gap of over 9,000 years), how did he happen to know about Atlantis?

A. According to Plato's Timaeus, Critias learned through his family that the Greek statesman Solon (a distant ancestor of Plato) heard about it from Egyptian priests during a visit to Saïs, Egypt in about 590 B.C.
The priests claimed to have access to records about Atlantis written on pillars within the temple. Plutarch writes: "His [Solon's] first voyage was to Egypt . . . [where he] spent some time in study with Psenophis of Heliopolis and Sonchis the Saite, the most learned of all the priests; from whom, as Plato says, getting knowledge of the Atlantic story, he put it into a poem, and proposed to bring it to the knowledge of the Greeks." But a little further on: "Now Solon having begun his great work in verse, the history or fable of the Atlantic Island, which he had learned from the wise men of Saïs, and thought it convenient for the Athenians to know, abandoned it . . . because of his age, and being discouraged at the greatness of the task." (Life of Solon, 90 A.D.)

lets look into the Wise Men who knew of Atlantis

~ We were told by Plato that the legend of Atlantis came down from the 'wise men of Saïs'...
a mystery school in Egypt that focused on Isis...

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

...This is the Isis of Sais, famous for the inscription concerning her which appeared on the front of her temple in that city: "I, Isis, am all that has been, that is or shall be; no mortal Man hath ever me unveiled."...

noteworthy is that the Mystery of Isis, indeed the mystery of Atlantis which is part of the Isis mystery school cult
is to forever remain hidden, unfathomable to mortal mankind...just as the inscription above states.

Atlantis existed only in the Isis Mystery School cult, some +9,700 years before Plato cited the place in his writings, most likely the purpose of mentioning Atlantis at all was to give his contemporary writings a very ancient authority and a source-place that was lost in the fogs of prehistory

i have to link this post to my rebuttal post..

Originally posted by mikesk8s247

This is wrong because Atlantis sunk. Some survivors were able to flee due to the technology and wisdom they had at the time. If you are willing to suspend your range of disbelief in order to understand what Atlantis actually was about, I recommend reading "The Emerald Tablets of Thoth". Thoth was one of the survivors who fled from Atlantis before it could be covered by the waves. Read this and you WILL expand your wisdom on not just Atlantis, but wisdom of the ALL.

see the 'knowledge giver' was Hermes who is also thought to be this Toth....
the Hermetic school was the other side of the Isis school
Atlantis was the creation of wisdom handed down to ancient Egypt from the Gods and this knowledge was passed on through the enduring mystery schools & cult priests/priestesses
Atlantis was most likely a place familiar with the Gods but Alien to humans & the planet Earth itself

edit on 2-2-2012 by StUdio because: (no reason given)

However, the Emerald Tablets of Thoth the Atlantean are still part of the modern Corpus Hermeticum, for they elaborate and deepen the meaning of the historical Emerald Tablet and writings of Thoth/Hermes...

edit on 2-2-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Christosterone

I remember reading (in college many years ago) about a group of islands in the Atlantic...
They were inhabited by light skinned, almost nordic looking people.
And when modern Europeans arrived in either the 18th or 19th century, they had some tablets that they had forgotten how to read...

I cannot for the life of me remember the islands nor the story of the tablets...

I believe the basis of what you are remembering are the stories about the Canary Islanders, the Guanches who were most probably a branch of the Berber people - not quite nordic!

There were lots of contacts with Europeans in the classical and later periods with the first large scale incursion in the early 15th century when the Spanish (Castilians at that time) attacked

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by lostinau
That is complete bs; it was based on information passed down by Egyption priests for thousands of years. Solon got the story from Egyption priests while he lived and studied there.

That is what Plato claimed in his story....kinda like Edgar Rice Burroughs claiming he was given a manuscript by John Carter.

We have evidence of neolithic villages in land of Misr at that time Atlantis was suppose to exist. There was no 'Egypt' at that time that we have been able to find.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join