It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The parable of the workers in Matthew 20

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Matthew 20:1-16

1 “For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire workers for his vineyard.

2 He agreed to pay them a denarius for the day and sent them into his vineyard.

3 “About nine in the morning he went out and saw others standing in the marketplace doing nothing.

4 He told them, ‘You also go and work in my vineyard, and I will pay you whatever is right.’

5 So they went. “He went out again about noon and about three in the afternoon and did the same thing.

6 About five in the afternoon he went out and found still others standing around. He asked them, ‘Why have you been standing here all day long doing nothing?’

7 “‘Because no one has hired us,’ they answered. “He said to them, ‘You also go and work in my vineyard.’

8 “When evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, ‘Call the workers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last ones hired and going on to the first.’

9 “The workers who were hired about five in the afternoon came and each received a denarius.

10 So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius.

11 When they received it, they began to grumble against the landowner.

12 ‘These who were hired last worked only one hour,’ they said, ‘and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.’

13 “But he answered one of them, ‘I am not being unfair to you, friend. Didn’t you agree to work for a denarius?

14 Take your pay and go. I want to give the one who was hired last the same as I gave you.

15 Don’t I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?’

16 “So the last will be first, and the first will be last.”

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

My interpretation of this is that rewards of this life (whether you call it salvation, heaven or being saved) has no bearing on how early on you or your people or your religious group were called to walk the path that leads to God.

The last group of workers, hired at 5 in the afternoon are those muslims who recieved the call to serve the God of Abraham ages after the other workers were hired, i.e - christians and jews.

So at the end of this life, when righteous muslims are called to recieve their reward, along with righteous jews, righteous christians etc., God will "pay" the muslims the same as those who were "first"(Christians and Jews). Those who were first cannot say that they were cheated, as they too recieved the reward that was originally promised to them.

The parables conclusion : "the last will be first and the first will be last" basically means that one should not look down condescendingly upon those who came after them. The call to worship the God of Abraham did not end with Jesus and "being saved" is not only a christian thing.

God has laid out different paths for different people to attain the same "reward", and different people are called at different times. To think that other paths to being saved is invalid basically amounts to arguing with the Creator as if saying "but I did everything you asked me to do to be saved! How can you reward all these other guys who did not do as I did??"

edit on 1-2-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Well, that does speak a very odd religious tale, but for what reason do these people have to accept that since they feel cheated but aren't, they must let go of feeling cheated? Their feelings are legitimate, and while everyone deserve the money they earn, I do not think it applies to the idea that each religion is equal in the rewards it promises for an afterlife.

I mean, I don't hear Catholics offering up seventy-two women who I can sleep with at any time I want with a constant erection.*

Sorry, I mean I'd like that afterlife, but it's not mine to receive. I think the different rewards for different beliefs about afterlife can not be compared to a farmer in a field; these religions were promising different afterlifes and only God knows why they promise different afterlifes but this story is saying they promise the same afterlife.

It doesn't fly, the sentiment is remarkable and noble, all men should have equality on entering the eternity of the afterlife, but that's not how it plays out here on Earth.

* = wikiislam.net... cause I had to look that up first
edit on 1-2-2012 by Sachyriel because: yeah promiscuity

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
My opinion...According to the bible Jesus came to save ALL of man.
All people are now saved according to the new Testament.

When you tell Christians that all people will go to heaven...they get mad. Because then they ask themselves why have I not robbed, raped and murdered then, trying to be "good" was a waste of time if ALL go to heaven.

That is why he wrote this parable. If you are going to Heaven, and that is deal he has made with you then why are you upset that people YOU do not find worthy are going to Heaven as well? He has not broken his promise to you, has he?

(Really..why would he come to save the people that would already be saved by their own actions? He came to save the "wicked", not the "righteous").

Peace

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by spav5

When you tell Christians that all people will go to heaven...they get mad.

Im not saying "all people" will go to heaven.
Read my post again...
I said "at the end of this life, when righteous muslims are called to recieve their reward, along with righteous jews, righteous christians etc., "

The point is this : Those who are last will be first and those who are first will be last.
Means that the method of salvation does not end with christianity, and christians are NOT the ONLY ones who will be saved. If Islam was the path given to muslims, then the righteous among them shall also see their reward along with the righteous among jews and christians.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

I didn't say that you did.

Sounds like you take offense to the notion that all people will go to Heaven? If you take offense to that notion..it is my contention that he spoke that parable to you.

Peace

top topics

join