It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Music Concerts, Psychology and Control

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Hello all. Been a while since I had anything to post.

Before I get into this thread I am an occultist and a good guy and will never use anything I have learned for nefarious means.

Ok, well I sing in a heavy metal band. The music is aggressive with a message of self empowerment.
On a scale of 1 to 10 I honestly rate the talent of our band about a 6 or 7. We are better than most bands in our local area but we could not be a national act, well not atleast until now.

We have been in the band for several years, recorded a couple cds and have had little to no success. Our live shows were weak with little to no crowd response. I always hated talking to the crowds and just wanted to play the music and get off the stage right after. Basically I am not a people person and it is very ironic that I ever became a singer in the first place.

In the last 4 shows, things have been different and we have been getting a great crowd response, in fact the response is so good it is scary. People run up on stage, jump off, go nuts, huge mosh pits, people buying our cds, etc. The only thing that has changed to gain this new success is the way I interact with the crowd.

As I said, I study very much of the occult. In fact this is on a daily basis. One of the subjects I have focused on in the last year is hypnosis and mind control. I started applying what I have learned in my studies to the concerts of my band and have had phenomenal successes as of late. Here is what I have learned:

1) Concerts are a form of mass hypnosis.

2) The crowd looks at the singer as an authority figure. If you show one single sign of weakness you will loose them. If you can display yourself as a prototypical strong authorotative figure you will always win over the crowd. The crowd is not at the concert to hear music, they are at show to be told what to do. They are giving over there will. Examples of this include telling the crowd to make some noise, making them clap, making them repeat phrases after you, etc. If you keep telling them what to do, each time they will do it robotically.

3)The more you control the crowd, the more they will love you.

4)There is a potential energy at every concert. That is, the community of concert goes wants to go nuts. They want to act unnatural and the concert is the excuse to do so. After indoctrinating a crowd all I have to say is something like, "it's okay to go crazy, let loose" and they will do just that.

5)Before and after events, the performers must not mingle with the crowds. In fact, the less of the interpersonal exchange before and after concerts the better. This is especially true for the vocalist. The subtle psychological perceptions by the crowd due to the hypnosis will be destroyed once they see you in a normal light. The performer will loose their gained position of "superiority". This can easily be done by saying something stupid in coversation, being shorter in stature that those who talk to in the crowd. You will have broken the "myth".

These are just some things I have learned and applied with great results. I wonder if any other musicians in here have noticed the same sorts of things going on or have tried these.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Jdawg9909

being shorter in stature that those who talk to in the crowd.

...but Glenn Danzig is only 5' 4".

Just sayin'

X.
edit on 31-1-2012 by Xoanon because: .

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Yes, you are correct. Beats, Binural Beats..Hertz...affect people...I love researching this stuff...

The Human condition. Maybe many artists know this, but to get ahead...of course they have to sell their soul to the industry...which the industry is the mighty Dragon.

But, if artists were free to express themselves without the need to be famous or make the almighty dollar...their music would be much more in-tune.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Ah. I see.

So this is why Rush never made it big, right?

Anyway, you are not so far off. I don't see it much as most of the shows I see aren't like this. Proggy type stuff is a different crowd, depending on the size. Rush is the anomaly.

I always hated singing along with Smoke On The Water. Just play the damn song, alrighty?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jdawg9909
5)Before and after events, the performers must not mingle with the crowds. In fact, the less of the interpersonal exchange before and after concerts the better. This is especially true for the vocalist. The subtle psychological perceptions by the crowd due to the hypnosis will be destroyed once they see you in a normal light. The performer will loose their gained position of "superiority". This can easily be done by saying something stupid in coversation, being shorter in stature that those who talk to in the crowd. You will have broken the "myth".

I completely disagree with this. I was at a lot of concerts and festivals and met a lot of those musicians. I had lengthy talks with Ronnie James Dio, spend 3 hours drinking beer and talking with Steve Lukather, met the guys from Blind Guardian on multiple occassions and various other musicians too. I never fehlt that there was anythong gone, nothing was destroyed. I was still in awe when i first met Dio.

As for the other things: Of course it's better if the band interacts with the crowd. It will be always more exciting, if they talk or make good stage show. That's the reason why the older bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest or AC/DC make better and more exciting concerts than 99% of the bands of today, who rarely talk, hate Solos, don't interact and basically can't wait to get off the stage. If you behave that way it feels like a signal of "I don't care about the people in the crowd". But if you talk with them, make some jokes and just show give 100% and be glad that so many people showed up, it will lead to the audience having more fun and making more action.

It's the same at sports events. If a football team plays like crap, the crowd is silent and not really interested. If they score 5 goals (and through the goal celebration interact with the crowd) the attendance is completely into it, will chant and sing whatnot.

Oh and size or age don't matter either as proven by Ronnie James Dio

edit on 31/1/2012 by ShadowAngel85 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

Well the isolation part of the show is easily seen. How many times have we all wanted to get "backstage passes". All of this stuff does exist and is part of a myth complex.

It's not about thinking you are better than the crowd, it is about filling a psychological deficiency in that of the concert goer. Remember fan is short for fanatic. I sometimes wonder why people go so nuts at concerts. I guess we are either meant to be "in the crowd" or "on the stage". This is just the way it is.

edit on 31-1-2012 by Jdawg9909 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xoanon

being shorter in stature that those who talk to in the crowd.

...but Glenn Danzig is only 5' 4".

Just sayin'

X.
edit on 31-1-2012 by Xoanon because: .

Right on, but his myth is bigger than 5'4''.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Dear Jdawg9909,

I was a stage manager for over a decade and I would say there is validity to the issues you raise. As a stage manager you get to see many different performers and confidence is absolutely critical, if the performer doesn't believe in themselves neither will the audience. Peace.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Right on, but his myth is bigger than 5'4''.

It sure as hell is, brother.

So I think your thread topic is actually a really neat subject as I am interested in how people can be made or coerced or even cajoled, in to doing stuff en masse.

In my opinion, rather than believe that the crowd has shown up to be told what to do, I believe that the crowd is actually there eager to suspend their dis-belief for a good story teller. 'Cause of your studies you know that this was even bigger in ancient Greece and Rome and they didn't even have the luxury of electricity. So you are tapping in to some ancient stuff for sure.

You are also really close to having your thumb on the pulse of why crowds are so fickle when it comes to the arts.

x.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Umm, interesting...

As a very keen concert goer who has literally been to over 400 concerts, I know what you are saying... as you are not a people person then I guess what you are doing is basically the only way to get the crowd response so keep doing it and good luck.

Another few things that crowds seem to like:

1) Watching the singer drinking alcohol or smoking... down (or pretend to) down a can of beer, you will get cheers.
2) Demand circle/mosh pits (if crowd already seems lively enough)
3) Standard: "Are you having a good time?" "I CANT FU**ING HEAR YOU!, ARE YOU HAVING A GOOD TIME!?!?"
4) Before a heavy song: "I wanna see you motherf**ers jump/go crazy/etc"
5) Some seem to like spitting a lot
6) Getting close to the crowd

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
A very good post. Look at Ozzy concerts....always telling the crowd to "Go crazy!" Many times before he plays Paranoid at the end, he'll say, "We'll do one more song if you make a promise to me, I want you all to go f-ing cray-zee!!" I also saw Ozzy in 1995 and my normal introverted personality was totally reversed into a total extrovert. My buddy and I were transformed into people we weren't. Whatever spell I was under, I drove to Wisconsin before I realized I was going the wrong way!

Also, Led Zeppelin employed the same features in their concerts that are mentioned in this post. The rumors of Jimmy messing around with Magik I think are true -to SOME extent. He might not be going to gatherings and dressing up as a Black Priest or whatever, but he knows many things on "Magik Music.' I mean, what do you think "Zoso" stands for?

Even Hitler hired people to help him learn mass hypnosis. He started out as a horrible speaker and ended up one of the best speakers in history.

An audience is likened to an ocean, or water. If you learn to control the audience, or water, you can move mountains.

There's also rumors that hypnosis and Neuro-linguistic Programming were found in Obama's acceptance speech. I don't believe it, but it could be true! Who knows what is in speeches, or speeches on TV, or commercials for that matter!

I mean, dog food commercials years ago would put sounds in the commercial only dogs can hear, and when the dogs approached the TV, their owners thought the dogs were seeing the yummy food and would like the food. They bought the food because the dogs came to attention during those commercials.

Mind control, hypnosis is found everywhere. Even Obama just signed CALM, Commercial Advertising Loudness Mitigation Act into Law -finally ending those loud commercials soon. The loud commercials are evil advertising in my opinion.

All of these examples show that when you take control of your audience, whether it's concerts, TV commercials and even printed ads, you can basically make your audience do what you want them to. No doubt about it!

edit on 1/31/2012 by OneNationUnder because: updated

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xality
Umm, interesting...

As a very keen concert goer who has literally been to over 400 concerts, I know what you are saying... as you are not a people person then I guess what you are doing is basically the only way to get the crowd response so keep doing it and good luck.

Another few things that crowds seem to like:

1) Watching the singer drinking alcohol or smoking... down (or pretend to) down a can of beer, you will get cheers.
2) Demand circle/mosh pits (if crowd already seems lively enough)
3) Standard: "Are you having a good time?" "I CANT FU**ING HEAR YOU!, ARE YOU HAVING A GOOD TIME!?!?"
4) Before a heavy song: "I wanna see you motherf**ers jump/go crazy/etc"
5) Some seem to like spitting a lot
6) Getting close to the crowd

Yes, I agree with all of that as well as huge flamboyant gestures. Raising your arms in air, putting your hands up to your ears like you cant hear the crowd. Basically egging them on.

I would also say the more control the crowd looses, the better show they will think they were at.

The truth is, a good band is a machine and always plays like the cd, it is just the crowd that changes.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Hell.I just want to hear a vibratto and extended notes without enhancement, as to off stage contact I disagree. Unless you are going for an evil appearance,you make them what you want onstage, they are your instrument.The harder you try ,with better skill in performance and expression of talent, the better the response.Honesty is key.Of course if it's just for money then whatever.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
god we'll trade ya whole elctro/techno(dunno any famous djs) scene, for dio and kurt.
I think the 'hypnotizing' has to be more in the music. Sounds like your just taking advantage of a stage and body language. Or maybe sick guitar? Not mind controlling. Get crowd to jot down there bank details or something sinister against there will and then youve mastered it!!!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

Yeah, I went to see Static-X in 2007 on their Cannibal tour, some people met Wayne Static before the show and had great fun with him bu still went nuts during the show.

Some of my favourite frontmen include James Hetfield, Devin Townsend, Phil Anselmo and Bruce Dickinson for those reasons. They know how to have a crowd in the palm of their hands.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I am a Pro Musician who tours...not as much anymore as I am older but I toured in the 80's and 90's with Aerosmith, Heart, Robin Trower, Motley Crew....etc. Sometimes I go out now days with much moe modern acts.

I have always felt a sense of Power within the Music but it is up to the players how to direct it. I have an issue with the original singer of Rage Against the Machine...Zack de la Rocha as i watched him whip an audience into a frenzy on a tour in which he caused a riot and massive damage to an outdoor modern venue...owned by a friend of mine.

There was no reason for this and we have had words. He tries to act tuff when talking...or screaming at me...but I never scream or yell...I just prepare. Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

there are many ways to preforma magical ritual that involves multitudes of partakers... or sacrifices, with this line of thought the OP might regard the coming 2012 olympic summer games in london..

edit on 1/31/2012 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Bread and circus
Mob rule
Win the crowd maximus
Rome
Illuminati

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
This is a very interesting subject. I often used to muse about how Mozart and other greats were frustrated and censored, for the very reason that they could control the emotions of the masses.

Churchy didn't like that, neither did the Royals, especially since they didn't know how to enthrall the masses themselves.

youtu.be...

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
This is interesting, Jim Morrison of the Doors was supposedly very interested in crowd manipulation techniques and read several books on the subject. I'll try and find if any of these books are named in his biography.

top topics

join