It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Telepathy machine reconstructs speech from brainwaves

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Overstuffed

Coupled with the fact it may eradicate speech altogether..... why use a primitive vocal communication when thinking it to each other is much much faster..

Faster learning , faster communication .. the leap in knowledge could be quite profound.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by biggmoneyme

Bah, emotions are merely the reaction I have to my environment, my environment knows me well, knows me well enough to manipulate me into doing what it wants, for why it wants it.

If there is no purpose behind a signal it gets no attention; but the purpose behind a signal becomes apparent in the noise it disturbs.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

I am sure brain has to be connected to the machine for thoughts to be deciphered into voice. Also, sure people can put on protective devices like eyeglasses to thwart others from reading their minds via remote control wireless connection etc.

Good invention for crime and screening employees etc.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
This has some very interesting implications.

The most favorable, of course, would be giving people with severe neural dysfunctions the power of speech.

On the downside, how long will it be before the "thought police" becomes a reality. Could a person be prosecuted for what they think? Then again, maybe all politicians should be required to submit to this type of scan.

One other thing crossed my mind. It might be a bit bizarre, but here it goes. I'm sure most of us are familiar with EVP. The phenomenon where electronic devices seem to pick up disembodied voices. Could this lead to a more effective means of communicating with the dead? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

That was my thought as well.
This will open up better communication with the other side, or should.
I imagine with some fine tuning it could very much enhance personal ESP as well.
What comes off the tongue and what comes from the mind, are often two different things.
I see this opening up a VAST area that we know almost nothing about.

Although I suspect many GOV. already have a form of this technology if looking glass is real.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
This machine vocalises what one is already deliberately attempting to. In other words it is not reading thoughts, it is reading the brain activity associated with sounds being uttered and converting them to the same sounds.

When perfected, it will be useful for those without vocal chords or other speech disabilities to speak, just by attempting mentally to do so without the need for other motor functions, like Stephen Hawking, as a few have already noted.

It can neither read nor interpret thoughts.

Although a misleading and sensationalist headline, it is still a very useful invention. Good find

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
There's a "dumbed down" article relating to it here:

Brain Machine

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Or to ppl who have suffered sever strokes..
Im working in a elderly place with an old
woman who sufferd a large stroke making
her imobile on the right side.
She also lost her speach. THIS would be
her lifesaver eahc day as she would be
able to talk to us again...

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I don't see the big deal it's just reverse engineering of the MK Ultra magnetic/radio wave suggestions we are already being bombarded with everyday, mostly while people are sleeping. Go out on a really quiet night and listen for something that sounds like the buzz from heavy power lines.. It depends on where you live as to what the messages contain, When I lived in Jacksonville N.C. near the Marine base for nearly 2 years I started feeling pretty patriotic for no real reason, mind you before I lived there I was very anti military. Then when I moved to S.C. I started feeling very racist for no reason, which is something I have never had any issue's with, I have always judged people based on individual choices and actions not by groups or race.

Fortunately, realizing what your locational programming is isn't that difficult, with some meditation and an understanding of your true core beliefs are once you figure the program out, it sort of nullifies the effect of the messages to some extent. That's why vacations are refreshing. If you are being haunted by thoughts that conflict with what your core beliefs are, understand that you are not the sum of your thoughts but your actions. If meditation proves hard in letting those nagging adverse feelings then moving to another city or state is the only other way I know to escape specific programs.
edit on 1-2-2012 by Darkchemistry because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-2-2012 by Darkchemistry because: sp grammar

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

My thoughts exactly even before I got to your thread.

Pre-Crime. Just like in the movie "Minority Report".

Though, this is a machine instead of pre-cogs.

Used in a police state, every home will have one(TV?) & can then be used against you for anything.
Now THAT is scary!!!

Didn't think of the EVP implication. Hard to say about all of that anyways for me...

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
TSA is gonna LOVE this brain scanner

They can add it to this...

Homeland Security Detects Terrorists by Reading Your Mind - F.A.S.T

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Hmmm, me thinks this has a long way to go before it is going to be able to pick up phrases like Queen Victoria sitting shocked upon a rocking horse

Seriously though, if they can read my brain and tell me what I am thinking then they are doing better than me - half the time I dont know what I am thinking up there

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
hi op

the only good i can see coming from this is
it can catch peadophiles and sexual predators
everything else is scary

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by The1Prettiest1One
The coolest thing to do with this is record any original music that goes through my head. Next up would be to leave it on all night while I'm dreaming.

Yes! Haha! That would actually be amazing! I'm pretty sure I've thought of thoudands of number one singles in my head then forget them later. As a musician it's quite frustrating haha!

On another note I totally disagree with this technology.

It'll be like George Orwell's 1984 ! The Thought Police will be after every single person on this site!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
That's all we need, a bunch of little machines spouting out "sex-sex-sex-sex-sex-sex-sex-sex-sex-food-sex-sex-sex-I wonder if mythbusters is new-sex-sex-food"

In all seriousness though, this could be a great tool for listening in on those in a coma, or those who just do not possess the ability to speak. The scary flip side is, they could potentially use this tech in the future to steal your thoughts, your inner inspiration. I wonder how long before we start hacking people's minds all together a la 'The Matrix' or 'Inception'?

All in all; with the advent of this tech, along with the consciousness transfer ideas people are kicking around, and the new studies in nano engineering to create "better people", it's looking more and more like we're headed down that Grey Road, and I think you all know which Greys I'm referring to. Interesting, yet still spooky, times.

edit on 1-2-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

I am both tremendously excited and horrifically terrified by this.

On one hand, you now see the beginnings of the brain computer. When I was in school, I did a project that utilized various means of propaganda to sell products. The products I "invented" was called the MindLink, which I showed as a hearing aid. You would think some words, the mini-super-computer inside the MindLink would decrypt the brainwaves into those words, and it would search and display the results wirelessly on a nanotechnology eye contact, allowing you to see the page directly in the eye. Zoom capabilities and all that stuff were obvious...

Anyway, one of the crucial elements was software capable of very accurately decrypting brainwaves into phrases and images. And here, we have something showing the first steps toward that very thing.

Now, on the other hand, you have the military and government applications. And if you think those organizations won't be the first on the beta-test list, then you need your head examined. The practicality of this technology is way too promising for the military to ignore.

So, we have two possibilities: enhance the computing experience and help thousands of disabled people...Or enable military and government officials and affiliates and sponsors spy on rivals, spy on other governments, and patrol the streets of every nation, monitoring the thoughts of everyone and policing the populace.

Do you really think they can ignore the power?

edit on CWednesdayam121238f38America/Chicago01 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Facebook + This thread topic =

Imagine a world where everyone is technologically and telepathically linked, everyone knows what everyone else is thinking, privacy ceases to exist. Then there will always be those of us who don't want to have anything to do with it, until they find a way to make you do it.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sachyriel
reply to post by biggmoneyme

Bah, emotions are merely the reaction I have to my environment, my environment knows me well, knows me well enough to manipulate me into doing what it wants, for why it wants it.

If there is no purpose behind a signal it gets no attention; but the purpose behind a signal becomes apparent in the noise it disturbs.

yes emotions are reactions. You don't have to be attached to such things. Emotion can arise and you simply observe it and it moves on. It may still be there somewhere but your awareness is not in it. Sometimes I have spaces between my thoughts that last several minutes, to just be so fullfilled in the moment you don't need thought. It's more of a blessing. You won't understand until you've been there

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Combine this technology with the tech that was talked about a few months ago in regards to being able to see what the "mind" sees. Put the devise on sleeping patients. It could reveal the sound and picture of someones dreams.

That would be wild!!! Just think about watching the next day about the dreams you had the night before. Awesome, but still lends itself to some malicious intent if in the wrong hands.
*cough* government *cough*
edit on 1-2-2012 by Talltexxxan because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join