It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 10 Worst Cities for Finding a Job

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Is your city on here? Mine is, and I'm thankful that I have a job, and also thankful that I don't live in Cali, the top 5 cities are all in that state.

Among U.S. metropolitan areas with 200,000 people or more, here are the 10 worst metro areas for finding a job.

Metro Area
1. Merced, Calif.

2. Fresno, Calif.

3. Modesto, Calif.

4. Stockton, Calif.

5. Visalia-Porterville, Calif.

6. Atlantic City-Hammonton, N.J.

7. Bakersfield-Delano, Calif.

8. Hickory-Lenoir-Morganton, N.C.

9. Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, Calif.

10. Brownsville-Harlingen, Texas

Sources: Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Census Bureau.

Methodology: For each metropolitan area, the percentage change in unemployment rate from Nov. 2010 to Nov. 2011 was determined. That percentage change was then subtracted from a given city's Nov. 2011 unemployment rate. For example, Fargo's unemployment rate fell by nearly 14 percent year over year. 14 percent was then subtracted from its Nov. 2011 unemployment rate. The above cities are the 10 with the highest resultant figures.
source

These cities range from the highest rate at 16.9% to 11.2 %, almost a full 3% higher than the national average whichis about 8.5%

source

Some of America is seeing an improvement in the job market, I know I have personally (even though my city is on that list). But the people in these areas by and large are not. When will we begin to see the improvement that has been promised us by our elected officials?

What are your thoughts on this? Do you live in one of these districts like I do? Have you seen any improvement?

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
i don't share your zest for employment improvement. i'm in PA and watching people slowly but surely get laid off or loose their jobs, never to return.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
California, eh? I wonder how many ILLEGALS are in those towns working 'off-the-books' depriving the LEGAL citizens there of jobs. Not to mention draining the tax-payers money there for services that these ILLEGALS never paid a DIME towards.

LEGAL citizens would rather HAVE ANY job than NOT have a job at all. So dont anyone use that nonsense defense that they do jobs that LEGAL citizens wont do.

Before you know it, LEGAL Californian citizens will be crossing the border into Mexico to find JOBS and a BETTER LIFE if we do not put an END to these ILLEGAL INVADERS and start helping our OWN FIRST.

Mexico for a better life soon Californians. Soon to be your future if you do not WAKE UP!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Our wonderful political system and government have exported our future along with our jobs in the last 15 years. Without a manufacturing based economy we have no hope for a good future. More and more the divide between the have's and have nots just keeps getting wider and wider. Without these types of jobs our tax base is dwindling more and more. The recent news is highlighting this is not only a American problem, Japan has a host of economic issues as well as Europe, it seems China had the right idea how to defeat the west.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Seeing stats like this always make me feel sad. Especially since my best friend and I are getting calls and emails almost daily offering us work in London (UK) and we've been out of the industry since 2009.

Prospective employers don't even care that our experience isn't up to date as long as we have the right transferable skills. We used to work in the I.T. industry as contractors, so anyone out there who has the I.T. skills should have a look at that market here in the UK.

Rev

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by HangTheTraitors
California, eh? I wonder how many ILLEGALS are in those towns working 'off-the-books' depriving the LEGAL citizens there of jobs. Not to mention draining the tax-payers money there for services that these ILLEGALS never paid a DIME towards.

Never even considered that aspect while going through these numbers. I tend to think that a problem like that isnt isolated to California as well. NJ on the list has high numbers of 'undocumented' illegals, as does TX, also on the list.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
It's hard to miss the fact that 7 out of 10 areas are in California. I'm not convinced the issue is illegals here. I suspect it has more to do with California politics. As I understand it, companies are leaving California for a variety of factors, but mostly due to government regulatory policies and taxes. At this point I don't have any hard evidence one way or another, other than anecdotal. Is there anyone here from California who can elaborate?
edit on 1/30/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

California companies fleeing the golden state

Buffeted by high taxes, strict regulations and uncertain state budgets, a growing number of California companies are seeking friendlier business environments outside of the Golden State.

That's from a June, 2011 CNN article. It shows one possible reason that the majority of the cities on the list are Californian.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

As I understand it, companies are leaving California for a variety of factors, but mostly due to government regulatory policies and taxes. At this point I don't have any hard evidence one way or another, other than anecdotal. Is theer anyone here from California who can elaborate?

Schuyler, my city is No. 4 on that list. I think your assessment of the situation is probably accurate. Our taxes are outrageous here.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

I am very surprised that Boise, Idaho is not on the list. There is no work there. The three biggest employers laid off or fired thousands there. There are thousands of empty houses all over Ada county. I litterally had to leave or be homeless and jobless there.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by unsteadystate

Could have to do with the methodology of calculating the numbers. They used the difference between 2010 and 2011 and then subtracted thhe difference frm 2011's numbers. If your area was only affected recently, that is after november 2010, it wouldnt make the list.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by unsteadystate

You answered your own question, you and other jobless people just left. It's why Detroit is not on there too.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightGypsy

As I understand it, companies are leaving California for a variety of factors, but mostly due to government regulatory policies and taxes. At this point I don't have any hard evidence one way or another, other than anecdotal. Is theer anyone here from California who can elaborate?

Schuyler, my city is No. 4 on that list. I think your assessment of the situation is probably accurate. Our taxes are outrageous here.

Who/What seems to be the "end users" of those high taxes ?

Corruption by over paying for consultants, professionals, goods and services, etc. perhaps.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I looked at the list and think it's a combination.

I've been to every one of those towns (California native and lifetime resident) Most of them are known Tweeker and Illegal Immigrant havens. A known Effect of living in the San Joaquin Valley...ugh.

But the industries around those towns were a lot of agriculture and farming and construction. ALL industries that hire Illegals like mad. They simply closed shop and moved in the past decade and the Illegals moved onto other industries. You can buy land and homes cheap in those spots, some have acres for pennies on the dollar, yet NOBODY will move there, there's nothing but horses and hills.

Housing market crash also adds to it.

Fesno, Modesto, Stockton, Merced, Bakersfield, Riverside? All almost desolate now.

The education in these places is dismal. On he other side of the coin you have basically what people call "white trash" in Suburban homes for MILES. Just miserable cities with nothing there.'

On top of it Government regs and taxation driving businesses out. I doubt these towns will ever snap back anytime soon. I'm surprised Lancaster or Palmdale wasn't on the list.

California is the WORST state to be employed in or have a business hands down.

The Bureaucrats and Politicans have ruined this State. And our Governor Brown is going to tank it more despite all his positive talk. The people here in the outskirts like Riverside, Kern, San Jaoquin, San Gabriel...they don't VOTE. Many of them are literally borderline retarded by years of poor to non existent education and drug culture.

So more elitist Dems gain power and tank this place to oblivion. It's one of the worst failed experiments of any State in the U.S.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
All of those Californian towns are in the San Joaquin Valley.

en.wikipedia.org...

Agriculture, farming, food, etc.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I live in Fresno which is right in the middle of it all and it is true. There is no employment available. Also if you don't have employment and have for awhile, many employers here will not consider you anyway. Sad to say anyone here this is not news to; However, hopefully some will realize that ca. needs a lot more help than we will admit!

new topics

top topics

join