It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'I'm going to destroy America and dig up Marilyn Monroe': British pair arrested in U.S. on terror

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by capone1

Originally posted by humphreysjim

I like this. Im glad he was arrested. Don't post stupid /borderline troublesome comments on twitter. And it seems like a lot of crazy people tweet or facebook these little quotes before doing something awful.

You can't be serious?

Destroy has other slang meanings, aside from actually destroying America. How would one go about doing that anyway?

What's next, if I'm out with my mates and my friend sees a girl and says he wants to "tear her ass up", is he going to get arrested before he kills someone?

What if I tweeted "I would kill for a beer right now", you gonna send the cops round to get me before I go on a killing spree just for a beer?

Absolutely ridiculous. There would have to be way more evidence that these people were dangerous apart from some harmless twitter comments in order to put them under the radar. I mean please, digging up Marilyn Monroe? The world is going mad.

THEY ACTUALLY SEARCH HIM FOR SPADES

edit on 30-1-2012 by humphreysjim because: (no reason given)

It's situational, obviously.

Let's say he was never arrested, and he got into America and DID committ a terrorist crime. What would you, or others say then? "He posted that on his twitter account and nobody did anything?!?!"

You want me to take seriously the possibility that he actually destroyed America after digging up the grave of Marilyn Monroe?

If so, I think it's YOU they should be keeping their eye on.

If your absurd scenario did play out, I'd treat it like every other crime committed that wasn't posted about jokingly on twitter.

You might as well say we should follow you around every second of every day just in case you do something. Well, what if we didn't and you killed someone?!

Get a grip, man.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Welcome to the modern age of technology.
I see it kind of like standing at a podium and yelling at the world.
If you were to stand at a podium and tell millions of people you were going to destroy something,(in this case America) well, of course people will try to stop you.
If you did this as a joke, it was in bad taste, much like yelling fire in a crowded theater. Although the humor is there, it also can cause a lot of panic.
Kind of like the guy who taped up his daughter and posted it on FB, they are watching to some extent.
Don't be stupid and test the system.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Amazing.

Minority Report anybody?

Now the TSA is coming after you for saying some stuff. Thought crimes? Welcome to 1984.

This needs to be done away with. The Government has NO right, at all, to detain you for something you said over the internet, especially a Twitter account, without evidence or significant suspicion of carrying out such an act.

~Tenth

Not sure why you are specifically linking TSA and Twitter, didn't you ever watch the Clint Eastwood film 'In the line of fire'? If this is actually factually based (it is the Daily Mail after all), it doesn't seem that different to where people have allegedly been arrested for threatening America or the president way before digital social networking came about.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Go USA..

..Paranoid much..

Or does it all add up to guilty demeanor...to turn your minority report psychology around and back at you.

Welcome to the USSA or North AmeriKorea...just remember to STFU ..and have a NICE day.

What went wrong..USA

Cosmic..

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by something wicked

Just more the same over reach from the government regarding other people's civil liberties. I suppose it's different for foreign travellers, but it probably would have happened to Americans just the same.

The US government is simply out of control. So are all those heavy handed Government Agencies that are given the littlest bit of power.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

NDAA 2012 is all they need , luckily for them it is not in effect yet , for we would not heard of this, they would be just whisked away to git mo , but then they still could go there

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by On the level

and if they try to get a visa they will be flagged for one way trip to GIT MO bay

Leigh's charge sheet, alongside a police mug shot and finger print, added: 'He had posted on his Tweeter website account that he was coming to the United States to dig up the grave of Marilyn Monroe.

'Also on his tweeter account Mr Bryan posted that he was coming to destroy America.'

Leigh and Emily have now been told they must apply for visas from the US Embassy in London before flying to the US again.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
now do you believe this is www3

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
It won't be long until the thought police arrive.

We are already being screened, and sometimes arrested like this guy, for crimes that we may commit even though no crime has been committed at all.

Talk about a paranoid government.

WE should ask, what has the government done that is so bad that they must fear everybody?

If the citizens only knew for sure, the US government would probably fall.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Everyone who uses twitter is a terrorist. To Gitmo with every one of them!!

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Looks like Bin Laden won after all.

Sad.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

git mo for tweeters what about the ones that use facebook ??? hangings at noon in time sq? or mass executions in the west desert?

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by consciousgod

face palm ddl face palm, they have landed and are at the gates, why do you think thees 2 went to jail?

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

Indeed.

....for now anyway.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
In this day and age, for good or for ill, it behooves one to be careful what one says...

the comments were stupid. ...and juvenile. ...and a whole host of other things.

the reaction was equally, if not more so, stupid.

...and?

It's the times we live in. ...and unless, or until, we as a group start doing something about it, it's not going to change.

Start fussing at the right people. Toss 'em out of office, and keep doing that until they get the message... Our rules, not yours. Our rights, not what you think we need, or rather, don't need.

But if all you want to do is fuss about it online? Then you get exactly what you deserve. MHO, of course.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
Looks like Bin Laden won after all.

Sad.

He certainly helped to bring about what we have now, for sure.

Very sad,
Agreed.

But the battle rages on.
It is my hope that America returns back to the good old days,before 9/11 some day. Everyone was not kidding when they say that day changed the world, it certainly changed the USA.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Horrifying combination of high technology, paranoia, cultural ignorance and full retard.

For some reason this reminds me of Terry Gilliams 'Brazil' more than anything.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Amazing.

Minority Report anybody?

Now the TSA is coming after you for saying some stuff. Thought crimes? Welcome to 1984.

This needs to be done away with. The Government has NO right, at all, to detain you for something you said over the internet, especially a Twitter account, without evidence or significant suspicion of carrying out such an act.

~Tenth

could not agree more, freedom of speech if curbed can lead to morons walking around like programmed robots. world progress will stagnate, stop and dissolve in few years as a result.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I like this. Im glad he was arrested. Don't post stupid /borderline troublesome comments on twitter. And it seems like a lot of crazy people tweet or facebook these little quotes before doing something awful.

You can't be serious?

Destroy has other slang meanings, aside from actually destroying America. How would one go about doing that anyway?

What's next, if I'm out with my mates and my friend sees a girl and says he wants to "tear her ass up", is he going to get arrested before he kills someone?

What if I tweeted "I would kill for a beer right now", you gonna send the cops round to get me before I go on a killing spree just for a beer?

Absolutely ridiculous. There would have to be way more evidence that these people were dangerous apart from some harmless twitter comments in order to put them under the radar. I mean please, digging up Marilyn Monroe? The world is going mad.

THEY ACTUALLY SEARCH HIM FOR SPADES

It's situational, obviously.

Let's say he was never arrested, and he got into America and DID committ a terrorist crime. What would you, or others say then? "He posted that on his twitter account and nobody did anything?!?!"

You want me to take seriously the possibility that he actually destroyed America after digging up the grave of Marilyn Monroe?

If so, I think it's YOU they should be keeping their eye on.

If your absurd scenario did play out, I'd treat it like every other crime committed that wasn't posted about jokingly on twitter.

You might as well say we should follow you around every second of every day just in case you do something. Well, what if we didn't and you killed someone?!

Get a grip, man.

I'm not a complete moron when I post updates of my current situations, like this dude was. And, I have nothing to hide. If I killed someone, I PRAY TO GOD, they would have done everything to stop it, before and after.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
it makes me wonder if someone saw the twitter feed and reported it or if the keywords were logged and picked up by Echelon and instantly spammed out to the TSA and homeland security.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by victor7

Amazing.

Minority Report anybody?

~Tenth

could not agree more, freedom of speech if curbed can lead to morons walking around like programmed robots. world progress will stagnate, stop and dissolve in few years as a result.

I couldn't disagree more. The government has no right to detain you for something you said over the internet?? You do realize the internet is the largest and most vast means of communication, right? So with your theory, a terrorist unit of 100 people could plan everything and anything they do over the internet, but shouldn't be punished. Wow. Welcome to the modern world, buddy.
edit on 30-1-2012 by capone1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-1-2012 by capone1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join