It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Model Makers ? Need Shuttle & Saturn V Opinions/Advice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Hi ATS,

I am planning to buy a plastic model kit (the type you glue together) of the Space Shuttle, with boosters, & I have 2 questions for you all.

1. I want to get the biggest I can, & with the most (external) detail. Many brands make them, but not many large scale with the boosters. If anyone has made such a model that you were impressed with, what brand & scale is it ?

2. I don’t want to make this & then just stick it on a shelf to gather dust, I plan on making a display case for it. To make it look even better, I’d like to also make a replica of the launch pad/tower.

I don’t want the full plans with every beam etc, but enough details that it looks like the real thing from a few metres away. Has anyone got any suggestions where I might be able to find enough detail to DIY this ? Trying to figure this out from photos is not so easy. Yes I know I will have to make it from scratch.

I’d also like to do this with the Saturn V rocket & the Lunar Lander, so I’d also appreciate your ideas for them with regard to best model & launch pad. I expect the lander & rocket will be of different scales.

Thanks all.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SNAFU38

Hey friend,

I saw your thread and I think it is cool that you are building models of this stuff. i am always on the look out for good plastic models but have not had time in a while to build any.

I like Tamiya model kits but I don't think their shuttle will be large enough for your purposes. Revell makes a 1/72 scale Atlantis that you might like.

www.revell.com...

Tamiya's is going to be more detailed, I think, and of higher quality, but it is only 1/100,

www.tamiyausa.com...

but Tamiys has this,

www.tamiyausa.com...

Which I have not seen anywhere else.

i hope you find what you are looking for. Have fun.

X.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

I agree, you cant go past Tamiya for quality & detail, & the Revell (still quality) is my preferred scale, but if the difference in detail is sufficient, I'd go for the smaller Tamiya.

I already have the NASA, Project & Mission patches that I plan to frame around the models. I have each of the Apollo missions & the 1st & last missions for each of the 5 shuttles. It certainly wont be a small display
The Saturn V I am looking at stands 1.1 metres tall, I think the 1.5m is a little too big

I have no idea how long it will take as I plan on adding some additional things like LED lighting, but when/if I ever get it done I'll put up the pics.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SNAFU38

Please U2U me when you do. I would really like to see it.

2nd.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 05:04 AM
link   
a reply to: SNAFU38
Hi SNAFU38,
I have the solution.Please do visit our site www.enggmodels.com... you will get ideas and we are into models making since a decade and also we will delivery our products overseas .For more info visit www.enggmodels.com

top topics

join