It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone with nerves of steel willing to do this ? Acrophobia!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Its hard for me to even watch this video , let alone considering doing what these kids did lol

Now i don't know about you but when i am in high places , like this i have the urge to jump. No not suicidel , but something inside just says DO IT! Get it over it ! lool , i hate high places like this , espically with no safety gear!!

I force my self to watch videos like this , because best way to face your fears is to face them. After a few videos like this , i'm considering sky diving , but not bunjee jumping lol .

Acrophobia (from the Greek: ἄκρον, ákron , meaning "peak, summit, edge" and φόβος, phóbos, "fear") is an extreme or irrational fear of heights. It belongs to a category of specific phobias, called space and motion discomfort that share both similar etiology and options for treatment.

Most people experience a degree of natural fear when exposed to heights, especially if there is little or no protection. Those who are confident in such situations may be said to have a head for heights.

"Vertigo" is often used (incorrectly) to describe a fear of heights, but it is more accurately a spinning sensation that occurs when one is not actually spinning. It can be triggered by looking down from a high place, or by looking straight up at a high place or tall object, but this alone does not describe vertigo. True vertigo can be triggered by almost any type of movement (e.g. standing up, sitting down, walking) or change in visual perspective (e.g. squatting down, walking up or down stairs, looking out of the window of a moving car or train). Vertigo is qualified as height vertigo when referring to dizziness triggered by heights

en.wikipedia.org...

I just don't know what to say lol, what do you do , when you run outta juice to pull your self back up ? ^^

ahhhhhhhh lol . Why do i watch these videos lol

Whats say you ? can you do it ? i'll fight a bear , blindfolded before i do any of these stunts!

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Dear Sir,

You will find me in the kitchen corner, rocking back & forth because of these videos.

No I wouldn't do it, I can barely look out from the second floor of a building without feeling nauseous.

Thanks for giving me a panic attack

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I will admit, aside from them being completely stupid and lack any regard to their lives... they have KAHONAS!
You couldn't lure my fat butt out there if your life depended on it... not even with a BIG MAC!

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Doing such stuff without any back up is just pure idiocy... doesn't matter if it's to fight your fear of void or whatever...
Just a wind blow or a body weakness at the bad moment... and the cameraman would feel very very dumb...

[sarcasm]I'm sure the 1st video kids parents would be very proud of their courageous sons if they see the vid[/sarcasm]

Fighting your fears / proving your courage doesn't necessarely imply being dumb, cuz that's what they are.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Dont get me wrong im not scared of heights of any kind. But to do what they are doing in them videos is just dumb, with no way of saving them selfs if they fell.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I had a friend growing up named Lee H. He always was doing crazy things. Climbing trees at keggers, driving extremely crazy, if the opportunity to be crazy was there count Lee in. A few years after high school I read he had passed away. Fell off a cliff in Bellingham, WA about 250 feet.

These guys that press the limit usually find the odds catching up to them.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
its funny how some poeple view the kids as dumb.

i seen these clips some time ago. i dont see any dumb people.

i see people who are not afraid of death.

the whole emphasis in the west these days is your health and staying alive. death is viewed as a terrible thing. people are obssesed with their health. many people think no matter what happpens in this world I must stay alive. i do not want to die.governments are bringing in more healthcare for everyone. they want to keep everyone alive longer. what if that is part of the game? when 'they' get you here they have to distract you and keep you alive as long as possible??

not giving out. just trying to give you something to think about.

on another angle, there is a lot of videos like this come out of russia. there is also a lot of kids diving from great heights. the kids are all very fit and very adventurous/brave. Can you imagine fighting an army of people like this?

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Wanna see some nerves of steel? Check this out:

NO, you'd better not watch it, it's way more acrophobic than just climbing an antenna.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by yourboycal2

I had a colleague, and once our company got a huge contract to supply the antennae that goes onto those masts of the last video, and he was the design engineer for them. At every one of those masts he had to climb the mast, inspect everything and test it. I was once asked to go out in place of him, when he had another project running and I refused. Was once with him when he climbed one of those masts, and I just couldn't watch. I just sat in the controller measuring and did the field measurements outside, but I had nightmares from seeing him on that mast for a long time afterward. Honestly, I can't see how he managed to do it.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

i think i would be willing to die to experience flight like that.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Great thread. Very informative. I've always told people I have vertigo, now I know it's acrophobia. (never heard of it before)

I get the same feeling as the OP from a height. It's exactly like some invisible force is telling me "jump and get it over with."

"COME ON - COME ON DOWN"

Very scary. I'm just scared that I will go for it. I'm scared I'll lose control of myself and try to fly. Isn't that weird? I think gravity has a hypnotic hold on everything, and for people like me it's a stronger hold, or I'm just weaker. Even looking at videos of heights I have to hold on to the chair.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
NLP can allegedly deal with it. The inner voice definitely - there are so many other things you can tell yourself... Like, this is great, I am so stimulated.
The Phobia Cure. However, I have not tried this (I am an NLP master and I do therapy for others regularly), because in NLP you have to be ecological - that is, if you really need such a change you can do it.
I never tried doing this technique on acro but I will try it on myself because my acrophobia is a bit too strong. Palms got sweaty from just watching these Russian kids.

Once I helped a stewardess fight her fear of a plane crash successfully, but that was a more complex situation. Her exact fear was that whenever she flew with a captain her father did not know personally (this is in a small country wher her father used to be part of the training of all the airline pilots), she had cramps all the way to New York. Now making this go away is obviously useful - there is no real danger.

Star and flag for an interesting topic.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
i almost took a job climbing cell towers. still might go in that direction one day. not just the height you gotta be afraid of. I hear stories about someone turning the tower on while someone is up there and they get back down their insides are melted and then you know.. DEATH

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

My gods....
My berries crawled up to my belly just watching this.
That's def not the kind of high I like, thats for sure.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by wigit

Very scary. I'm just scared that I will go for it. I'm scared I'll lose control of myself and try to fly. Isn't that weird? I think gravity has a hypnotic hold on everything, and for people like me it's a stronger hold, or I'm just weaker. Even looking at videos of heights I have to hold on to the chair.

you describe there perfectly how most people feel about heights at some point. you also say 'for people like me' . you are no different to anyone else.
i was exactly the same. i would not approach the edge of a cliff in the belief that i would jump. i did eventually one day end up sitting on the edge of a cliff with my legs dangling over the side of it.
i think it came when i accepted that i am mortal. i had been addressing the issue for a year i guess and went on a walk to a huge cliff that i never go near the edge of. Anyway at some point i , in a way , i 'woke up' on the edge of the cliff with my legs dangling over it. when i realised what I had done and burst into tears. no poblems with heights anymore or anything for that matter. what ever happened all my fears evaporated. it was certainly a very spiritual moment.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

I would sit n the ledge like the first video but would never test my own strength by doing pull-ups...
Even I have a limit to my stupid antics.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
Wanna see some nerves of steel? Check this out:

NO, you'd better not watch it, it's way more acrophobic than just climbing an antenna.

I would DEFINITELY do that!!!!

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I've always wanted to try this....

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
them vids are very scary and i wouldnt do any of it for all the money u offer me.
heres a link to another silly vid (but cool)

www.youtube.com...

sorry cant embed

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Eh, I wouldn't describe the actions of the young adults in the first vid as particularly heroic or indicative of nerves of steel. Instead, I would describe the actions as foolish.

Effectively there are only two outcomes: fall or don't fall. If you fall then you've the rest of your airborne life to live, short as that may be.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join