It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drone being tested could conduct a combat mission without human involvement at all

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Yeah I'm sure the elite loves this. No humans = no prosecution for war crimes. Also it means that it cannot refuse orders.

The elite could just program those to kill protesters... or down the line, program them to spray bio-weapons over cities to kill most of us, which is their ultimate goal.

'Autonomous' combat drones debated

Researchers say a drone aircraft being tested by the U.S. Navy that could conduct a combat mission without human involvement raises troubling ethical questions.

The drone, designed to land on the deck of an aircraft carrier, operates not only with no pilot in the cockpit but with no pilot at all, raising the specter of a pre-programmed semi-independently operating machine capable of wreaking mayhem on its own.

While humans would program the autonomous drone's flight plan and could override its decisions, many find the concept of a heavily armed aircraft operating without direct human control worrisome.

"Lethal actions should have a clear chain of accountability," Noel Sharkey, a computer scientist and robotics expert, told the Los Angeles Times. "This is difficult with a robot weapon.

This is pure insanity.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Wow! They will probably start to turn on the U.S. Military and destroy mankind as we kno it. Another doomsday conspiracy to add to the list of thousands!

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Can you say - Terminator?

Wow! This is going to be fun. So we have the ability to make a bunch of drones that can think for themselves, with the ability to get magicly wisked out of the sky by Iran... Just what we need. This stuff falls into the wrong hands, or hell... Anyones hands.. More will be made, duplicated and used.

The worst of it all... What's to say these things cant be taken over and controled by a virus to turn against it's owners?

We're playing with fatal fire here...

Makes me wonder just how much time we as humans, not just as countries, have left.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Check out the Brit version "Taranis"

Same kind of beast I think,able to select targets without a human operator(although the target would then have to be given the OK by a human,so they say).
Already in the flight testing stage.

www.baesystems.com...

www.baesystems.com...

Crazy stuff..

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Life imitating art?

Years ago, I saw an episode of Twilight Zone (old sci fi tv show), where the flying, killing machines developed their own minds, and decided on their own, who they should kill, which was EVERY lawbreaker, for any reason.

I hope machines don't get that smart in my lifetime.

They can't see that at some point in the future, AI could become a problem?
Isn't a robot takeover one of the end scenarios? :shk:

top topics

join