It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheap dental care?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Where can I find cheap dental care?

This is a question that I was asking by a family member who really needs some work done right away. The insurance they have isn't very good, and while she need's a crown, the dentistry says it could take up to a month to find out what her insurance covers, but she doesn't want to wait that long, or have to take out a loan to do it. I'm going to suggest to her that she can go to a dental school, since they don't charge that much, but I'm not sure if she would do it, as she would have to travel some distance to the nearest school and she can't see that well. I'm open to any other alternatives there are and I thank anyone in advance who was able to help.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Good question. When I worked with mentally handicapped individuals, I had a few who were in intense pain from serious dental caries that had become terribly infected. They needed crowns and root canals. Their Medicaid did not cover dental care of this nature. Once you hit 18 years old, you're on your own with your teeth. I did quite a bit of researching, and even contacted the local health department, which has a dentist on staff.

I wrote to the dentist, and he wrote back a snippy, downright nasty letter stating that poor people deserve the dental trouble they have, because they waste their food stamps and welfare on sodas and sugary junk food. He railed on and on about tax dollars paying for dental care when these poor people had cells phones and iPods. He completely failed to comprehend that I was writing on behalf of people with mental retardation, who had NOTHING and were becoming seriously ill from lack of dental care.

I decided to let it go (although I should have sent it to the city council so they could see what a jackass they had working with the public), but after weeks of research, I failed to find ANYTHING to help the poor and handicapped when it came to dental care.

I ended up having to refer the individuals to the ER at the local hospital. After they were treated as drug-seeking addicts, I had to intervene, which got them some antibiotics and pain meds, but no dental help. Local health departments will pull a tooth, but that is it.

Your best bet is to have your relative find a dentist who takes payments, so she can at least get the work started, in order to halt the decay and infection. In the mean time, they can work with her insurance and get the ball rolling there. Many dentists will take payments, especially now that most people cannot afford dental care and have no insurance, so they are hurting for business. I know this because my daughter is a dental assistant.

Best of luck.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but there isn't any affordable dental care that I can think of in their situation. Wish I could, I did find some local dentists that are willing to do dental work for monthly payments, but they aren't cheap. At least they only charge a 1% on principle but they had a minimum depending on the cost of the surgery.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
First of all, I commend you for trying to help. I think your idea of a dental school is excellent if you could get her to travel. Honestly, I would most definitely speak to either her dentist/ or another dentist (or 10) and at least try to negotiate the price/ and a payment plan if at all possible. You may get a few 'no's', or 'sorry I can't help you..", but I would try at least try, it's worth the time. This is so frustrating because our dental health is so tied to our regular health and yet the dental insurance is often crappy and getting worse. I hope that she will be able to find someone to work with her at a discount and on a payment plan. Best of luck to you!

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
No such thing as cheap dental.

I had a cap come off a back molar a few years ago, and I didn't have the $100 for the dentist to glue it back on until payday. I had to wait a week, and then when I went in I got a condescending attitude from the nurse for not brushing a tooth with open nerves

The dentist I have now, gave me a discount of $400 when I knocked out my front cap, which was one that he had done. I told him I was totally broke. He did his work for free
but the lab that made the new crown cost $600.

Even if the dentist helps, the lab making the crown will demand their money.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

Cuba has excellent dentistry , As good if not better than Canada or the states IMO ! And an 1/8 of the price ! I've met people and also have friends that go regularly to have crowns , implants , root canals done ! Just the savings on 1 implant would pay for the trip down in an all inclusive !

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus

I wrote to the dentist, and he wrote back a snippy, downright nasty letter stating that poor people deserve the dental trouble they have, because they waste their food stamps and welfare on sodas and sugary junk food. He railed on and on about tax dollars paying for dental care when these poor people had cells phones and iPods. He completely failed to comprehend that I was writing on behalf of people with mental retardation, who had NOTHING and were becoming seriously ill from lack of dental care.

That is pretty snippy because that they didn't describe her situation at all. She never asked for a handout and doesn't eat a lot of junk food. She's just a hard working down on her luck kind of person, whose 63, has probably half a dozen ailments, yet still works at walmart, because she can't work anywhere else. She even asked to have all her teeth pulled, but they said they wouldn't do that because a lot of her teeth are fine. Whatever, she's kind of meek, so I can't see her telling them "If I want my teeth pulled, they will damn well be pulled!" She is in a lot of pain, and does have problems with infections and she's currently on antibiotics. She has a lot of other problems that don't help, but still, she should have to be able to find some solution.

Originally posted by TabKat
First of all, I commend you for trying to help. I think your idea of a dental school is excellent if you could get her to travel. Honestly, I would most definitely speak to either her dentist/ or another dentist (or 10) and at least try to negotiate the price/ and a payment plan if at all possible. You may get a few 'no's', or 'sorry I can't help you..", but I would try at least try, it's worth the time. This is so frustrating because our dental health is so tied to our regular health and yet the dental insurance is often crappy and getting worse. I hope that she will be able to find someone to work with her at a discount and on a payment plan. Best of luck to you!

I wish she would do that, but I'm afraid she won't, as she is just about legally blind. She has enough trouble driving from places near her, and doesn't travel at all at night.

Thanks for the replies!

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Contact you local county Resource Center (they operate on grants and donations) or your social services/dept of Human Services. They both have programs I have heard for emergency dental help.

Also look up "Salud" or "Salude" in the phone book. They base payment off of income.
edit on 27-1-2012 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]I am thinking that a dental college is probably her best bet. Maybe someone could drive her there? Maybe you could?

new topics

top topics

join