It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fat Cat gets a knee replacement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
No, this thread isn't about some filthy bankster or dirtbag politician getting a routine operation, its about a big, fat furry kitty getting the 1st total knee replacement surgery in the US.

Tubby tabby gets revolutionary new knee joint

Because Cyrano weighs more than 20 pounds, amputating his cancer-weakened leg was out of the question. So the tubby tabby's owners turned to doctors and engineers at North Carolina State University to get him back into mice-catching trim.
On Thursday, the 10-year-old cat from Upperville, Va., received what doctors believe is the first feline total knee replacement in the U.S.

"This is the most complex implant that NC State has made and really, in all honesty, that anyone has built for any situation that I know of," said surgeon Denis Marcellin-Little, a French-born veterinarian.

Cyrano—his full name is Mr. Cyrano L. Catte II—underwent treatment last year at Colorado State University for cancer in his left hind leg. The disease is in remission, but the treatment left the leg nearly useless and extremely painful.

Marcellin-Little said the tabby's girth and big bones were a plus. He said Cyrano should be up and around in about a week, though he won't be climbing trees for a while yet.

"We would like him to take it easy for about three months after surgery," the doctor said. "And then we will let him be himself."

Breitbart.com

The surgery cost his owners $20,000
and that's AFTER they paid to have him treated for the cancer which is now in remission. Talk about real dedication on the part of the owners. They must really love their kitty cat.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I am an animal lover, but in my opinion, no single animal is worth 20K +.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Good to hear Fat Cat is going to
get around again. I would imagine
the technology in making the replacement
was something else - being it was for
a cat. If the owners had the money - why
not!!

link   
I really have no idea why people scrimp on their animals. Would you scimp on costs with your children? People who own animals, or shall I say, assist them in this life, have a responsibility to do all within their power when it comes to the creatures of the fury kind...

link   

Originally posted by mileysubet

Why not? What price do you put on your life? Why is the animals any different? You need to stop looking at animals as property or some lower expendable life form...

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by pityocamptes

Why not? What price do you put on your life? Why is the animals any different? You need to stop looking at animals as property or some lower expendable life form...

With that kind of logic, I can only assume that you are a vegitarian...

If you think this is OK to spend 20K on a cat then I suppose you also would support spending the same amount on a mouse, or maybe a hampster? Or maybe even a lizard,cockroach? As these all can be considered pets right...

You have to draw the line somewhere.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I can't fault these people for spending that much on their cat. Pet owners view their pets as members of the family. Also, a lot of the cost of the surgery was not know as much of the time and materials were donated in order to get this done.

Of course the cost of this 1st surgery is going to be astronomical but, hopefully, as more doctors become proficient in this surgery and the practice becomes more widespread, the costs will go down to where it won't be completely out of reach of the average pet owner.

I applaud these owners for spending all that money on their pet. Their actions have furthered the cause of veterinary medicine and will help make the lives of many cats better in the future.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by pityocamptes

With that kind of logic, I can only assume that you are a vegitarian...

If you think this is OK to spend 20K on a cat then I suppose you also would support spending the same amount on a mouse, or maybe a hampster? Or maybe even a lizard,cockroach? As these all can be considered pets right...

You have to draw the line somewhere.

Nope, not a veggy. Do you draw the line on your spouse or children, or even yourself? From a purely ethical perspective, how exactly, and by what means do you ascribe a value to life of any kind? I know what you are saying, yet how do you logically arrive at the cost limiter?

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I have two cats and would pay that amount of money if needed.

They are part of the family and I want the best treatment for them.

As an example, 4 months a go my one year old cat fell down a chimney ( 20 meters / 65 feet fall ) and had a broken tibia and fibula. I brought her to a privat animal clinic as it was open 24/7, and they told me either they amputate her or do surgery but at cost. I did not hesitate to pay for the surgeries even if it cost me $ 2.500.

She recovered perfectly now and is as before the incident

top topics

join