It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Games becoming too easy?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

You are absolutely right, the ratio between hardcore and casual is very big, the casuals are usually 3-4x nowadays compared to Pre-WoW era.

The game developers know that, they try to keep both players happy, but it usually does not work out for hardcore players nowadays because of the majority of the $ is made from casuals. That does not make the developers abandon hardcores because hardcores are the spine of a MMO, who plays the game for years, develop strategy which the casuals use, find out modifiers for attack and magic damage, all the math formulas.

To sum up, Hardcores are a dying breed, today's gaming focuses on new generation of players that wants instant gratification and quick completion.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

They had to dumb them down for the masses.

Hardcore gaming was a niche, a declining niche...

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
you just have not been playing on the hardest difficulties

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ItsAConspiracy101
you just have not been playing on the hardest difficulties

I always play games on the hardest setting, of course first round i do "normal" thn 2nd time playing i do "expert" or w/e other terms.

That is mainly for offline games, but on an online game where you have to play with others, the challenge is dumb'd down.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
reply to post by Frogs

You are absolutely right, the ratio between hardcore and casual is very big, the casuals are usually 3-4x nowadays compared to Pre-WoW era.

The game developers know that, they try to keep both players happy, but it usually does not work out for hardcore players nowadays because of the majority of the $ is made from casuals. That does not make the developers abandon hardcores because hardcores are the spine of a MMO, who plays the game for years, develop strategy which the casuals use, find out modifiers for attack and magic damage, all the math formulas.

To sum up, Hardcores are a dying breed, today's gaming focuses on new generation of players that wants instant gratification and quick completion.

I dunno that they want instant gratification - but they want "something". Something to give them the feeling of accomplishment, some kind of reward for their effort. Most casual's I've known talked to don't really care if a hardcore players reward is some better than theirs in the end. They just want a some kind of path that will get them some kind of competitive reward - eventually.

PvP is one of the things that really focused this do to the huge difference gear makes in many games. Don't get me wrong - I love PvP. But, if the casuals find that even an army of them can't take on a handful of hardcores due to gear differences they'll start wanting a way to compete or they'll take their $ and go home.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join