It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Games becoming too easy?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I dunno if you guys are aware....

Diablo three, a few guys i know were doing the Beta testing you can link the game to your paypal account then auction off items from in the game for real world money in either ingame or (from my understanding) private auctions.

the guys i know have already set up there paypal accounts so when the release (i think pre summer this year as the date has been bumped back again) finally happens they can find whatever makes cash, then troll and farm the game making enough money to get drunk at the weekend through gaming....

i had a few choice words to say about this!!

i like to tell myself i have just got much better at games

i suppose it comes down to how you play and the game types you play, there days i soley play either FPS's online or RPG games, i dont touch online RPG/MMORPG games anymore as they are soul and life destroying and it may end my family

i like getting the sensitivity cranked up and change what weapons im using all the time, essentially set myself personal goals.. but i know what you mean, in game missions in any game type now bore me to death, bland, short and easy levels/missions/bosses.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Doom and Gloom

Yeah...main reason I am thinking of dropping it....maybe just for a small break.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glass
I've never played an MMO, but I've been a gamer since 1993. I know the topic is focused on MMO's, but as a FPS/RTS gamer I've noticed the same thing with my prefered genres.

You are right, Its in all games, i just notice it on MMORPG more because you get to interact with these players more than per say PFS and i played more MMORPG/RPG than others.

On the side note, my 7 yr old nephew, just learned to tell time(from a standard clock with hands) already could do 25 - 5 on kill/death ratio on Black Ops. I'm not sure how engaged in video games when i was 7.... i played Mario when i was 9.

Originally posted by GonzoSinister
I dunno if you guys are aware....

Diablo three, a few guys i know were doing the Beta testing you can link the game to your paypal account then auction off items from in the game for real world money in either ingame or (from my understanding) private auctions.

the guys i know have already set up there paypal accounts so when the release (i think pre summer this year as the date has been bumped back again) finally happens they can find whatever makes cash, then troll and farm the game making enough money to get drunk at the weekend through gaming....

i had a few choice words to say about this!!

i like to tell myself i have just got much better at games

i suppose it comes down to how you play and the game types you play, there days i soley play either FPS's online or RPG games, i dont touch online RPG/MMORPG games anymore as they are soul and life destroying and it may end my family

i like getting the sensitivity cranked up and change what weapons im using all the time, essentially set myself personal goals.. but i know what you mean, in game missions in any game type now bore me to death, bland, short and easy levels/missions/bosses.

Hmmm interesting, now they are openly promoting RMT(Real Money Trading), which is looked down on by most MMO communities btw, including Buying and/or Selling of Currency.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Im not going to get too into this, even though I have alot of different thoughts on the subject, being someone whos played a handful of MMOs and videogames in the past. What youre talking about is exactly the reason I despise most games, fighting the same things over and over again for a slim chance of getting a rare item, spending countless hours standing around waiting to claim a rare monster, ect ect. I just cant see the entertainment in this anymore. I bought a game called Batman: Arkham Asylum and I played the game, it was like a movie and I enjoyed the experience. Playing an online game where you do the same levels over and over in hopes of getting a digital +1 sounds like a second job to me.
edit on 27-1-2012 by tehdouglas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

i know,

I couldnt believe this when i heard, gold and Items trading in an Real Money enviroment...

im guessing it stops them from having kids crack the coding n making better items etc. as they wont be worth the money finding real item will be?

only thing i can think of.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by tehdouglas
Im not going to get too into this, even though I have alot of different thoughts on the subject, being someone whos played a handful of MMOs and videogames in the past. What youre talking about is exactly the reason I despise most games, fighting the same things over and over again for a slim chance of getting a rare item, spending countless hours standing around waiting to claim a rare monster, ect ect. I just cant see the entertainment in this anymore. I bought a game called Batman: Arkham Asylum and I played the game, it was like a movie and I enjoyed the experience. Playing an online game where you do the same levels over and over in hopes of getting a digital +1 sounds like a second job to me.
edit on 27-1-2012 by tehdouglas because: (no reason given)

I understand that, time sinks are need in MMORPG for its longevity, but come on, handing things down to you nowadays are just stupid,

"Do this quest and get 30,000 exp!" < how is this person suppose to learn group play in an MMORPG? or even how is his class is played if he levels thru quests?

Also some MMORPG try to do the alternative thing such as:

Option 1: Do this quest (duration 30 mins) and get this mega rare item.
Option 2: Killing this hard dragon, which requires party of 5 and you must go thru this forbidden jungle for the same rare item.

Clearly even tho Option 2 seems like a fun game, when you have Option 1, even the person who likes to immerse themselves would just pick option 1 and get it instantly because he doesn't want to bother grouping up with other people(its an MMORPG, not solo, off line game") or he might not have people to group up with because his other friend rather get the item instantly with option 1.

I am also tired of hearing this following phrase from new gamers "Don't do it(pick option 1) if you don't want to!" ..

a Object will slide down the least resistant path.. same goes for humans.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
The thing I like about the older style of games is that, often, if you die, the game is OVER, and you have to restart it. Nowadays, most games, if you 'die', you just lose an experience level or go back to the last save point or something. I mean, take a classic like Super Mario; after you lost all your lives, you were DEAD. Back to World 1 for you, plumber boy... A lot of modern video games are like the American "No Child Left Behind" policy; even the dumbest n00b can beat the game, because you can't fail. A n00b has to put in more time than a skilled player, but they'll beat the game all the same. In the old days of gaming, if you died in the game, you were screwed.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

I played EQ for almost a year, and never got higher than around level 30 something. I simply enjoyed playing the game. The whole camping and repeatedly killing the same thing just isn't for me.

I ran a roleplaying dark elf guild, and I partnered with other like-minded roleplaying guild leaders to make our own questlines, guildwars, etc. These things created memorable events for players. We found many empty areas of the gameworld that had some beautiful features, and then built up a legend and story about it. We could even dress someone up in some kind of garb to be a guardian of some treasure, etc., giving clues to find it, you get it.

Those were some fun times. The games are what you make them really. Occasionally, we even got some help from game admins, since most of our events involved a few guilds usually.

These days though (if it is still going), you'll see high elves and dark elves in the same guild, a Paladin type fighting with a bloodthirsty Troll, etc. Just ridiculous...

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Depends what games you play, go and buy Bioshock if you've never played it.
Not so easy and very indepth.

But if your buying things like Bayonetta and Dante's inferno type linear beat em ups then it's all on you.

MMORPG's, well what can I say, you pay every month to play so why would they better the games if you'll pay for whatever carp they feed you.
edit on 1-2-2012 by Chukkles because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chukkles
Depends what games you play, go and buy Bioshock if you've never played it.
Not so easy and very indepth.

lolwut? Bioshock was quite easy, with its respawn system that only sets you back by a bit of cash and doesn't cause you to lose any progress.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I don't know. I find Skyrim a lot more challenging than Oblivion (Skyrim is a sequel to Oblivion) was, for example.

I mean, having a dragon show up often just when just traveling, is a pretty real threat.
I usually just travel to towns, so at least then, the guards can help, lol! In Oblivion, you just had to avoid Oblivion gates, (unless you wanted to encounter them). But, they showed on your map, and could be gone around.

Also, there seem to be a lot more enemies that huddle together in Skyrim, so my normal style of stealth arrows from the shadows is a little bit less effective. Sure, I may kill one in one hit, but Skyrim's foes are smart enough to then come after you (where Oblivion foes just ignored their buddy getting an arrow through his throat).

At one point, I killed a guy who was alone. Another bandit came by, noticed the dead body, knelt down, and then went searching, saying, "There's a murderer on the loose, where are you?" as he looked for me. (then I put an arrow through him too)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by RigZoomAlaska

I soooo want to get skyrim lol

Just gotta go to a gamestop and pick it up.

I loved Oblivion!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

I just assumed it was to make things easier for the younger generation. My boyfriends 8 year old nephew will throw down his controller and say the games broken if something takes more then a few tries. Especially in games like old Tony Hawk where button combo's are key. I've been gaming for as long as I can remember and even playing games now that I played when I was younger, you can see small things that they use as challenges (such as jumping to a high ledge in Mario or higher levels of duck hunt) that are STILL challenging to me years later. I completely see where you're coming from

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I dont blame it to be too easy... todays MMOs like Wow went from hard to casual, and i actually like that,
now we have Raid finder that does make those who cannot see the content end game raiding easier for those that cannot join raids everyday.

and if you think its easy well then its your own fault for doing the "easy mode" at Wow, just select Heroic mode on and try yourself hell do the auchivment. if you are not happy go play another game then.

I play to have fun.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I've been a gamer since I was 5. My mum bought me a Sega Master System for my 5th birthday and I've been hooked ever since.
Games I played as I grew up still remain unfinished to this day. Yet I smash through all the newest releases like a knife goes through butter. Which suggests to me it might be worth going back to roots.
I love games which have endless play opportunity, such as Left For Dead, just keep going through the levels with friends and shooting everything. I also love RPGs with 200+ story time.
And I'm an achievement hunter which also makes the games last a little bit longer.
I'm waiting for Dark Souls to be delivered still. A friend of mine spent 30 hours in the first section alone dying repeatedly. I bought it because he found it insanely challenging, but the snow has slowed the postal service to a crawl...

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
lifelong gamer here, and all games have pretty much became a means for quick self reward. I remember actually writing notes on paper in the old days, now the games basically play themselves, especially sandlot games.

I relented on playing skyrim at first seeing as oblivion while good, was nowhere near as much rpg as morrowwind. so I finally give in and get skyrim and notice immediately that it is a sporked console port. though I still play and find it rather enjoyable, until level 17 it dawns on me... this game is NOT an rpg at all. you got 3 stats to track and level, the quest are layed out for a blind person, and if you fart you'll gain a level. this game is all about easy, fast, self reward. no wonder it is such a smash hit with casuals, you can't lose.

there is very few games anymore that have a good story, good gameplay, and a sense of accomplishment. last good game I played recently was shining force 2 on steam, even the graphics still hold up, why can't they make games like that anymore?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
If you want hard games, just look to systems of the past to find your challenge. The newer systems are geared towards a non gamer demographic. With that comes game's that are not hard to beat, which sadly will become more the norm with the next round of systems coming down the road.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I have to admit, I am totally sick and tired of the like for like war games churned out time and time again.
If it's not Call of Duty, its Medal of Honor, if its not Medal of Honor, it's Battlefield, if it's not Battlefield its Ghost Recon or Rainbow 6, or even HALO.

How many times do you need to go to Afghanistan/Vietnam/WW2 and shoot people?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeoVain

Just stay away from the mainstream games. The only challenging one lately is Dark Souls/Demon Souls, but there are still challening games out there just not ones which are as hyped. You just have to dig around more. Check out the russian game company 1C games they have quite a fews challening games, i find their difficulty rarely dissapoints. Here is the list.

www.1cpublishing.eu...

I vouch for Dark Souls. This game is wonderful, and very challenging. I feel your pain with games being easy and generally lame these days, and it is not because I had the rose glasses of a child and now do not. Games suck and a lot of us know it.
www.youtube.com...

Dungeon Defenders is fun(the 360 community is garbage and they are all damned modders and/or little kids,) for $15/1200MSpoints it actually offers a good amount of content and if you refrain from modding, a good challenge.

Hard Corps:Uprising is also a good game(only for 360 arcade) and very challenging.
www.youtube.com...
edit on 8-3-2012 by smashdem because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
For MMO's its the old hardcore vs casual debate with some group vs solo stuff tossed in.

Should 40 guys doing X together for 4 hours straight yield a *vastly* greater reward that 1 guy doing X by himself or with a buddy for say 400 hours over the course of several months?

That's the question game makers keep trying to get the right answer too.

Basically, game companies are in it to make $. You, me or anyone else actually having fun playing the game is just a byproduct of that. But, for them to make $ they want get the maximum # of people playing for the maximum # of months.

The population of casual players is greater than they population of hardcore players. Casual players may get fed up and quit if they feel that they can never reach significant in-game rewards, the game takes to much time or is too hard. This would decrease the amount of $ the game company makes. So, more and more the games are being geared toward casual players.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join