It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you interpret Amos 9:7

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
7Are ye not as children of the Ethiopians unto me, O children of Israel? saith the LORD. Have not I brought up Israel out of the land of Egypt? and the Philistines from Caphtor, and the Syrians from Kir? - Amos 9:7

This single verse here makes it clear that the "Israelites" (interpreted as modern day Jews") are the same to God as the "Ethiopians". Note that the quotes are the words of God speaking in the bible.

Interestingly, Amos 9:7, also speaks of how God brought out other peoples from places, just like how Israel was brought out from Egypt. More evidence that God watches over people other than just Israelites, even during biblical times.

I know well in advance that many christians will simply quote certain other verses to justify their popular idea that Jewish people are "chosen", and, in the process try and sweep Amos 9:7 under the carpet.

However, I am more interested in hearing their interpretation of Amos 9:7.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I've never heard of the book of Amos, so without it, I have no context.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

This verse comes in the context of warnings to Israel for their sins, and it means "I am just as likely to punish you (though not to the point of complete destruction) as I am to punish the gentile nations.
The second half of the verse means "I am behind all migrations"- ie "I am in charge of all the peoples of the world, whether they know it or not".
The specific advantage of Israel is that they are the first people to be told about this; they are the initial contact point.

edit on 27-1-2012 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

"Are ye not as children of the Ethiopians unto me, O children of Israel? saith the LORD. Have not I brought up Israel out of the land of Egypt? and the Philistines from Caphtor, and the Syrians from Kir? - Amos 9:7"

Yes, I remember this one! Andy had just run into Kingfish on the street, and they were discussing about how God rescued lots of nations and people's from lots of different places, all of them equal in his eyes. Kingfish then took out his cigar, lit it, and shook his head up and down, up and down, in agreement. They then spotted Sapphire shopping across the street, and ducked into a dry cleaners before she could spot them. Ah, back in the days when TV was King, whatever happened to it?

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   

At the time of babel God divided the group into different languages,ie different groups ...Gen 11:1 And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech. Gen 11:8 So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city. at this time in the story God starts to single out individuals He plans on dealing with specifically for a specific purpose ..... Gen 12:1 Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:

from a Darby commentary ..."Amos 9:1-15

Chapter 9 presents Jehovah Himself as directing the judgment in such a manner that Israel should in no wise escape it, God treating them as He would the nations that were strangers to Him, as the Philistines or the Syrians, whom, in His providence, He had brought from other lands. Nevertheless God did not forget Israel. He executed the judgment Himself, so that, while Israel should be sifted among all the nations, not one grain should be lost. The wicked who did not believe in the judgment should be overtaken by it.

In that day (that is, in the day of Jehovah's final judgment) He would not raise up the tabernacle of Jeroboams and of Jehus, although He had given them a place for a time during His longsuffering government; but (fulfilling His own purposes of grace) He would raise up the tabernacle of David His elect, and rebuild it in its glory. He would raise it entirely from its ruins, that His seed might possess the remnant of Edom and of all the heathen that are brought to know the name of Jehovah. [1] At that time Jehovah would also bring Israel back from their captivity, and re-establish them in full blessing. They should enjoy the fruits of their land. Jehovah would plant His people upon their land, and they should be no more pulled up. It was the land which He Himself had given them.

Thus we find, in the prophet Amos, the judgment of the kingdom of Israel; but this judgment applied to the whole of Israel as a nation, and their assured restoration, in connection with the re-establishment of the house of David in the last days-a re-establishment accomplished by God, which nothing should again overthrow. He would plant them, and none should pluck them up: a testimony which assuredly has never been fulfilled, and as assuredly will be; Israel shall be in their own land and never again removed. In general, then, this prophet sets before us, not great public events in the government of God, but the ways of God with His people, in view of their moral condition; the ten tribes, or the kingdom of Israel, being looked at as representing all Israel as a responsible nation, the link of their condition at that time with their original position (when, through the grace and power of Jehovah, they had come up out of Egypt), being the golden calves of Sinai and of Bethel. The prophecy closes, as we have seen, with the re-establishment in blessing of the whole people, under the house of David, according to the sovereign grace of God who changes not. It should be, for the whole nation, the sure mercies of David.

Note #1

This passage is quoted by the apostle James in Acts 15. Here (in Amos) it is quite clear that it applies to the last days, and it has sometimes been attempted to apply it to the same period in Acts also, laying stress on the words, "After this." But I am persuaded that those who do so have not rightly apprehended the meaning of the apostle's argument. He quotes this passage for one expression alone, without dwelling on the remainder; and this is the reason, I doubt not, that he is satisfied with the translation of the Septuagint. This expression is, "All the Gentiles upon whom my name is called." The question was, whether Gentiles could be received without becoming Jews. After having affirmed this principle, he shews that the prophets agreed with his declaration. He does not speak at all of the fulfilment of the prophecy; he only shews that the prophets sanction the principle, that Gentiles should bear the name of Jehovah-"All the Gentiles upon whom my name is called." There would then be such. God knew all His works from the beginning of the world, whatever might be the time of their manifestation.............peace

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Amos 9 is about the coming dispersa and the later regathering of the faithful remnant of Israel.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Amos 9 is about the coming dispersa and the later regathering of the faithful remnant of Israel.

Thanks for the trivia.
Now, what about the part where God says that Israel is like the Ethiopians to Him?
Does it literally mean that Israel is like anybody else to God?
Or is it all just "figurative"... meaning, Israel is NOT exactly like the Ethipians to God?

edit on 27-1-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Oddly enough, the "Jews"are egyptians.
They are the Hyksos who got kicked out of egypt...and ended up in caanan(isreal)
There is no record of Moses in the egyptian history, but they do tell of ejecting these Hyksos kings....
There is ample room to believe that Moses was a pharoh.....
There is too much distortion in the bible to believe it is all true.....

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Yes you are correct on your first point .. www.youtube.com...

Your second point ,kicked out, has 2 versions ..www.youtube.com...

If one was to believe Egyptian history ,one would have to believe the pyramids were built with simple copper , and rock tools ..I have a big problem with that one ..

"There is ample room to believe that Moses was a Pharaoh" or that he was well positioned within the ranks of the Pharaohs house .

as to your last point ..I am not aware of any,but then again,I have not looked into all of them ..I am only mentioning a few ,of what seems to be distortions in your post ...peace

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

If the second vid series tells me anything its that the true story is miss directed , miss informed ,miss understood ....Why would they not allow people to investigate certain places ,and at the same time claim certain places to be the true place ?....www.youtube.com... gives a first hand adventure as well confirmed by others on the same quest to find the truth about some questions from the bible .... The small pieces of evidence to the truth need to be carefully collected and protected .I have big problems with those that distort ,miss direct, and forbid the investigation of the truth ...compare for yourselves how different people either try and find the truth or distort it... peace

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n
7Are ye not as children of the Ethiopians unto me, O children of Israel? saith the LORD. Have not I brought up Israel out of the land of Egypt? and the Philistines from Caphtor, and the Syrians from Kir? - Amos 9:7

This single verse here makes it clear that the "Israelites" (interpreted as modern day Jews") are the same to God as the "Ethiopians". Note that the quotes are the words of God speaking in the bible.

Interestingly, Amos 9:7, also speaks of how God brought out other peoples from places, just like how Israel was brought out from Egypt. More evidence that God watches over people other than just Israelites, even during biblical times.

I know well in advance that many christians will simply quote certain other verses to justify their popular idea that Jewish people are "chosen", and, in the process try and sweep Amos 9:7 under the carpet.

However, I am more interested in hearing their interpretation of Amos 9:7.

Actually this verse fits perfectly with the Good News. The Good news is God is love, and that all who know love know God. The son is the gift that all who no love have been given. So since the begging man was born with the spirit of Christ. Israel was special as they were trusted with Gods word and written law. Just as Christians are today. Unfortunately most Christians today do not understand what the bible says, much like the Jews 2000 years ago. In both the Old Testament and New love your neighbor is the command. Your neighbor was known not to imply your fellow Jews or Christian. What is made clear in the New Testament is that we should consider everyone our brother, because Christ is in all. Most Christians want believe somehow God only loves and saves Christians. This is the most self righteous judgmental non Christ like thinking. This is exactly what Christ was rebuking the pharasees for doing. Hope this helps.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

. . . interested in hearing their interpretation of Amos 9:7

A warning about self-worship, where their greatness is derived from the fact that The Lord led them to where they were currently.

new topics

top topics

join