It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illinois Considering Ban on Firearms

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Bill HB1249

Amends the Criminal Code of 1961. Provides that 90 days after the effective date of this amendatory Act, it is unlawful for any person within this State to knowingly manufacture, deliver, sell, purchase, or possess or cause to be manufactured, delivered, sold, purchased, or possessed a semi-automatic assault weapon, an assault weapon attachment, any .50 caliber rifle, or .50 caliber cartridge. Provides that beginning 90 days after the effective date of this amendatory Act, it is unlawful for any person within this State to knowingly manufacture, deliver, sell, purchase, or possess or cause to be manufactured, delivered, sold, purchased, or possessed a large capacity ammunition feeding device.

Absolutely un#ingbelievable. I'm personally outraged at this because this is my home state where I currently reside. This completely annihilates our 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms. I can't believe this has even gotten this far in the House. On the 24th it reads the bill was "approved for consideration." Then again, it shouldn't surprise me much. After all, Obama came from our state Senate. We don't really have a reputation for hosting non-corrupt politicians

Apparently this bill doesn't affect people who currently own firearms as long as they prove ownership to the DSP within 90 days after the bill is in effect. Basically that'll be a nice long watch(hit) list.

Not only that, there's also a sister bill which will extend jail time to those who are in violation.

HB1599

Amends the Criminal Code of 1961 relating to unlawful use of weapons. Increases the penalties by one class if a semi-automatic assault weapon or high capacity ammunition was possessed in the commission of the offense. Defines "semi-automatic assault weapon" and "high capacity ammunition". Effective immediately.

I remember hearing about these sometime last year but I never paid much attention because I didn't think they would see the light of day.

So it begins.
I guess we just have to wait and see what happens. I wonder who will be next?

ETA: Sorry if this has been posted, but I haven't seen it on here.
edit on 27-1-2012 by r3axion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
It's for the whole state, not just Chicago.

And it's for ASSAULT weapons and large magazines.

Totally unconstitutional bill.
edit on 27-1-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I edited the title.

And yeah....assault weapons...that's a broad term for any semi automatic firearms.

Does it define "large magazine?" Didn't think so. Any bill that denies us our right to bear firearms is unconstitutional. Don't be upset because I dissed your boy Barry.
edit on 27-1-2012 by r3axion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
WTH is "high capacity ammunition"?

I've been around guns for 50 years and thats the first time I've heard that term.

Bill authors definition of assault weapon: Any gun that has lots of plastic parts and looks dangerous.
check.

No doubt this guy is a representative from Chicagoland.

I'm sure this would do SO MUCH to help deter crime.

Sorry for those who live in Illinois having to put up with this kind of Un-American activity.
My condolences.
edit on 27-1-2012 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
What is it with Illinois? The whole state with one exception is basically rural isn't it?

How does one metro area have such a high influence over an entire state?

Same goes for New York, California and Massachusetts. These states are mostly rural, agricultural, and otherwise "red" with their metro areas being the exception.

So how can one or two cities dictate the parameters of life to an entire state?

This isn't right. You'd think those pushing on the rest would stop and feel guilty or at least consider perhaps they might not know what's best for someone else.

But I guess if they were so considerate of others they probably wouldn't have ended up in government in the first place.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

LOL I thought the same thing. I haven't even heard that in the Corps

About the only place I hear that wording is in bills such as this.

I sincerely hope these don't pass. I'm thinking that protests are going to kick up this spring/summer.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Honestly, I don't know what to tell you. You're absolutely correct with that though. Here's a picture of our population density if you're able to view it.

www.worldofmaps.net...

It's kind of sad. Our corrupt government is right up there with NY.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
We Aussies were disarmed a while back now.
It is interesting to note that there are still armed robberies and
street shootings are getting out of hand between biker gangs

I would'nt say it is any safer than it was before.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by LeLeu

Taking away firearms definitely doesn't make anything safer.

All that does is disarm law abiding citizens with a means to protect themselves. People who break the law will break the law regardless. Now they can do it even easier. It's ridiculous to think banning firearms would help anything.

I'm assuming they're just scared of rioting that I'm sure will break out eventually.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Well, we've been planning on moving to Texas, looks like we'll be going sooner than we thought. This is complete crap. The T&C prevents voicing my opinion of any who voted for this. Just sit for a minute and think of all the dirty names you can call someone and you'll get the idea. This is only the beginning. Next it will be any semi auto of any caliber. In the Great State of Illinois [sarcasm] you have to have a FOID to own a bb gun that fires over 700 FPS. Mine is 1200
Why is IL so afraid of guns? They must think their citizens are too dumb to be safe. Or their just scared of them having the power to even the odds.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Well you know those evil .50 barretts are used in crimes all the time!.

And all those street criminals will certainly report their guns within 90 days!
"fargin'" assinine

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

Fear is exactly what it is.
If these are passed I'm thinkin about going over the border myself. Maybe to a peaceful state like Michigan.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by r3axion

The USA dies a little more every day.

You would think they would focus on getting the illegal weapons off the street BEFORE killing the constitution.

But, what do I know?

edit on 27-1-2012 by applesthateatpeople because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-1-2012 by applesthateatpeople because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Here are a couple places to start, atleast send them a mail and let them know you are against the bills, They may get in touch with you and ask for support to assist in the fight. There are lots of things one person can do to help us all retain our gun ownership rights.
Salute

Gun owners of America

NRA

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

What is it with Illinois? The whole state with one exception is basically rural isn't it?

Yes.. it's overwhelmingly conservative but.... most of the population resides in Chicago, Chicago politics dominate the whole state.

The State of Ohio where I was born/raised is also very conservative .. but if Columbus, Cincinnati and Cleavland all vote the same way the rest of the state has no choice.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Well what have Americans done with their 2nd ammendment? In how many states are trained militias with a well equipped arsenal to overthrow a goverment that turns against its people if they have to? To too many people the right to have arms translates into having fun with tricked out guns at the range.

A man and a rifle is all the armys of the world had in the 18th century. The 2nd has been already heavily undermined, by outlawing military grade weapons, anti-material rifles etc. . In most states it has been castrated to a degree, that it is only good for home defense against thugs.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Cassius666

I don't believe it's been undermined that much. There is not that much difference between a civilian semi-auto rifle and a military full auto rifle. Semi-auto you waste less ammo.

All in all an American can get their hands on some of the best weaponry in the World, superior to most nations weaponry. Which is great if some asshat wants to break through my door, I like knowing quality American hardware is at hand.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Finally an American state willing to move out of the past and progress. More states need to do this.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
What gets me is that some of the best firearms in the world are manufactured in Illinois. When are they going to smarten up and move to a better climate...Tennessee is really nice.

Armalite (AR platform), DSA (FAL), Springfield (venerable M1A), Krebs (fantastic AK mods), Rock River Arms (AR platforms)...all these rifles and no small share of handguns.

Barrett likes it here!

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by r3axion

When Obama loses in november, he'll be moving back to Illinois.

If I were him, I'd want all fire arms banned as well.

Seriously though, this sucks.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join