It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Xbox 720 Won't Play Used Games; Wii U Better Than X360

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I feel that "if" Microsoft moves forward with this "rumor", their console and game sales will take a serious hit. I for one will not buy this console if I am not able to trade games, rent games, or buy games second hand. If the developers would produce a quality product and not just some knock offs perhaps their sales would pick up.

I cannot count the times when I was younger that I was totally excited to pick up a game, paid full retail price, got home and was utterly disappointed with my purchase. These cases are why I am a proponent of game rentals and second hand merchants.

Some games now, require that you purchase a key to play multi-player on second hand games because the original multi-player key was used by the person that bought the game. Dead Space 2 and Battlefield 3 use these methods.

While I understand that this is not scheduled to come out until late 2013, I would not put it past Microsoft to actually implement this.

Kotaku has learned from an unnamed source that Microsoft's next console will feature a Blu-ray optical drive and some kind of anti-used game system. Details surrounding this little interesting nugget is virtually nonexistent -- even the source wasn't sure how Microsoft planned to implement such a system. One theory is that games will be initially tied and registered to one Xbox Live account. When sold off or passed to friends and siblings, these games would either be unplayable, or have a locked multiplayer component.

Link

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Sickening the gaming market has gone so far down hill I dont even realy bother like i did when I was younger, It just doesnt appeal to me even tho the games have better graphics I still have more fun with the older games and there storylines.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
ps4 is going to be booooooming if this is true. If xbox knows whats good for them, this wont happen.
I dont care much about this though, I prefer sony over microsoft anyways.
Why pay money for "xbox live" when it doesnt get you much if at all anything?
I get free online play with ps3, the service is great.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by novaaquos

I have and still play the original Final Fantasy cartridge for the Nintendo.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
PC

No matter how hard the game developers try, the PC modding/hacking community will always win. Blessed are they.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
It goes like this

PC > PS3 > everything else

so basically what i'm gathering is that the xbox 720 will in some ways be equal with the PS3 and some ways passes it (graphically), and in one way inferior. (ie. the used game thing) whereas the PS4 is rumored to have backwards compatibility and much better graphics

edit on 26-1-2012 by Gwampo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by youwouldknow

You can connect and play online without a subscription? I bought the 360 which came out before the PS3 and I cannot sustain games for those 2 systems at the same time.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo

It would only make sense to me to have your console backwards compatible. I don't understand why they would make this move. I do like PC games, maybe if I bought a controller I could play the same games, I just never actually bought a controller for the PC. I use keyboards and game pads, but at times that is more of a hindrance to me than anything else.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
ps3 has started combating used games as well. i bought Dirt 3 for example and it came with an activation code that can only be used on one ps3. without it you cant play online or update the game.

i let a friend borrow it and the only way he can play it online is if he pays like 10 bux for a code .

i guess this is the game company doing this but its being allowed to go on by SCEA.

if it continues this way all used games will require the purchase of a code to to be played in the future. LAME

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doom and Gloom
reply to post by Gwampo

I do like PC games, maybe if I bought a controller I could play the same games, I just never actually bought a controller for the PC. I use keyboards and game pads, but at times that is more of a hindrance to me than anything else.

You can use a Xbox controller on the PC and there are models of the PS3 as well. If you take the time to get used the mouse and keyboard I believe you would find it superior. The sensitivity and accuracy of 3500 dpi or better mouse is without equal.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreeSpeaker

Originally posted by Doom and Gloom
reply to post by Gwampo

I do like PC games, maybe if I bought a controller I could play the same games, I just never actually bought a controller for the PC. I use keyboards and game pads, but at times that is more of a hindrance to me than anything else.

You can use a Xbox controller on the PC and there are models of the PS3 as well. If you take the time to get used the mouse and keyboard I believe you would find it superior. The sensitivity and accuracy of 3500 dpi or better mouse is without equal.

if you have a dualshock 3 controller (ps3) it will install the drivers itself when you connect the usb to your pc, then use something like Motionjoy to map the keys. works awesome! and very easy.

never tried the xbox controller

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I still have my old NES games..some but not all. I have good games but played many bad ones in my day. Blockbuster when it was a GOOD video store with actual movies and games to rent or buy..was quite my friend in the early 90s. I rented the games and when a good title came up, my mother and father would buy it if they could afford it. I mention this because it ties in with something another poster said about Final Fantasy. I have that too but I never played it til 2007

So, now I come into the 21st century and though Blockbuster is not anything like what we once knew years back, we still have something great for cheaper games. Game Stop. Granted it CAN be spendy, but I have gotten more games from there then...oh wait, all my games and my console (a 360) are from there. Anyway, they made quite a bit of money last year I read somewhere. It would not surprise me if game makers were nervous at all the used games being, essentially, traded for money that they do not even see. I may be wrong but they are probably starting to get nervous.

Maybe Xbox could improve their new system by making current titles available for download on their Games on Demand setup the day they come out (or at least a few weeks or so!) That is one way for them to avoid the "used game" idea. Though it still brings to mind how brand new games are SO expensive. 60 bucks for a title..and 50 for something that came out a year ago?? This is why I never got to play Black Ops. I pretty much gave up on the idea and MW3 is of little interest. I simply cannot afford the newer games, even at the used prices.

Its frustrating to be limited! I broke down and paid for XBL recently because it was a dollar that month and I was tired of being shut out of half my consoles capabilities. My Christmas was spent with Halo3 and Red Dead Redemption online and I had a blast. Shame if I was using a 720 I would have been twiddling my thumbs in mid air cause Red Dead belongs to my roommate and Halo3 is a used game from Game Stop..

I suddenly am reminded of all the console lines that had failed successors. Atari had the 2600 which was amazing and then the 5200 which failed miserably. Sega Genesis had a few fails as well. Maybe this will be Microsofts first fail for console gaming. Or it could be just rumour and scuttlebutt. I will just take it as a wait and see.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by youwouldknow
ps4 is going to be booooooming if this is true. If xbox knows whats good for them, this wont happen.

Well mainly because PS3 is total garbage (even if it is loads better online).

Agree with the OP, commercial suicide for Microsoft to go through with this - unless they already have agreement from their rivals that similar things are planned........

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Even if it were to become industry standard, the entire industry will take a hit. There are those that will buy the latest and greatest because that is how society has raised them. People like me will not invest in it.

This is also the reason people pirate and hack things. I understand the gaming industry has operating costs and salaries etc etc...we consumers also have to work within the confines of a budget. If the initial cost were not so prohibitive you would have less need for resale outlets.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by rbkruspe

Your story mirrors mine except I pay for the XBL. For me XBL is only to play multiplayer which seems a bit redundant. I already pay for internet access, now I have to pay to play a game I already own.....

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
It's been slowly happening anyway... many EA titles have it, FIFA, BF3, NFS....

I think it's disgusting.... It's just all about making more and more money and limiting what people make by selling their games on or trading them in.

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't do this with nearly all forms of media soon.

DVD, CD, BD, MP3 etc etc..

*sigh*

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Doom and Gloom

I totally agree and feel exactly the same way myself. What i am thinking though is that it is such obvious commercial suicide that there must be some sort of behind the scenes industry wide agreement. Otherwise, why would they sabotage themselves?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by youwouldknow

But even Playstation is at the mercy of the online pass as it is the publishers who implement it. EA being the biggest at the moment. Buy a recent EA game in the UK used and to go online you have to pay EA somewhere in the region of £7 to get it unlocked.

If the roumor in the OP is true I see this as a way for Microsoft to butter up potential developers and get them on their side to support the console straight away and for a long time. The Devs will love it! No more lost revenue through used game sales. Instead they will rake in the cash with everyone having to buy a new copy.

It stinks IMO.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I have an easy fix, I have been playing Americas Army 3.0 and the older version 2.0 for a long time. The game is free, has excellent graphics and coolest of all it is completely free. I can find multiple 26 player servers going at anytime of the day or night.

I got tired of buying crappy games years ago.........

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SkyMuerte

Can you only download via steam or is there another way?

Cheers.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join