It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain to ban hunting

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   
It looks like Britain is trying to ban hunting with dogs now. That will mean many people out of work (note the term "Redundant Staff") and a lot of dogs being killed because they aren't useful anymore.

www.thisislondon.co.uk
Labour's plan to ban hunting ran into serious trouble today as MPs threatened to throw out a two-year delay. A senior government figure admitted: "It is on a knife edge. We're confident there will be a delay - but we don't know how long it will be for." Mr Hain was thought to be in talks with anti-hunting MPs in an effort to reach a compromise or persuade them to go along with the two-year delay. Some backbenchers favour a delay of just one year, which would see the ban implemented in November next year.

However, that carries a huge risk for Labour because it could fall in the run-up to a general election, creating a political crisis that would throw off course the party's plans for schools and hospitals. At worst, it could coincide with the slaughter of thousands of hounds when hunts across the country wind up their affairs.

Officially the Government's motive for wanting a delay is to give hunts time to find new jobs for redundant staff. Privately, government figures admit they are mostly concerned with the risk to an election and the threat of a court challenge to any ban under human rights legislation.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Looks like you poor folks in Britain have as many problems with left wing liberal's as we have in U.S. First they take your guns, then they ban hunting so you don't need guns ... what's next, your knives and swords?? After that they'll take your forks too .. don't want anyone stabbing someone with a fork .....

Edited for typoes

[edit on 9-14-2004 by MasterCoyote]

[edit on 9-14-2004 by MasterCoyote]

[edit on 14-9-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   
This has already been posted here. However, the reason for this is the hunting to be banned is of foxes and deer.

The hunt over here is almost ritual like, it isnt hunting as you get in the USA for example and is usually only done by the upper classes.

Very few jobs will be lost in reality and Im sure the dogs will find homes.

This ban on hunting is supported by a huge part of the public. I would not be over exagerating if I suggested 95% as a figure.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Oscar Wilde famously described as foxhunting "the unspeakable in pursuit of the inedible".

This legislation has been promised before the last two general elections so there is little guarentee that this will be third time lucky.

Banning foxhunting is very popular in the UK that's why Blair keeps on promising it.The idea of cutting the tail off of a fox that has just been ripped to shreds by hounds and smearing blood from it over the faces of children is not something the vast majority of Britons consider a tradition worth hanging onto.

This isn't hunting for food this is killing for sport.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   
The sooner the better as far as im concerned.

Watching a pack of dogs tear apart foxes isnt hunting. Its just a warped way for rich people to get their kicks.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by MasterCoyote
It looks like Britain is trying to ban hunting with dogs now.

- It has been 'tried' for decades. The pro-hunting lobby always had their mates in the unelected House of Lords to stop anything really happening till now. The elected House of Commons has voted to ban hunting for years, this is the first time it has got this far and is likely to succeed, that is all.

That will mean many people out of work (note the term "Redundant Staff")

- It is true that it will have an effect but I can't help wondering if (as many pro hunt types claim) it is all about days out in the countryside why they cant just drag-hunt (ride and chase on a 'scented' trail) and carry on much as before but without all the objectionable crap going on.

(no pleasure being taken in killing, no pets harmed and no private property damaged by a hunt streaming through)

No doubt the resounding silence from the countrysports types - despite their recently claimed vast concern for 'ways of life' and people's 'traditional livelihoods' - during the periods of mass unemployment during the 80's and 90's is one of the reasons why few beyond their numbers could give a monkeys about this or them.

The fact is that a majority of people in town and countryside now feel that taking pleasure from the death of animals is something we can well do without.

Given there is going to be a 'free vote' in Parliament and majority of Labour, Liberal and Tory MPs want rid of this and it is high time it went the way of the bear-bait, cock-fight and dog fights and it will.

and a lot of dogs being killed because they aren't useful anymore.

- Ah yes, the poor doggies. I always have to laugh when they trot this one out.....pro-hunt people tend keep very quiet about the numbers (thousands) of dogs they destroy every year when they are beyond use for them.

Looks like you poor folks in Britain have as many problems with left wing liberal's as we have in U.S.

- Here in the UK we have not perverted the term 'liberal' to the appalling childish characture you guys have.

First they take your guns, then they ban hunting so you don't need guns

- guns went a long long time ago. Much to most people's approval. We have a gun crime rate and a gun accident rate you guys can only dream about.

If you think that's something 'we' lament you must be in need of medical treatment.

... what's next, your knives and swords?? After that they'll take your forks too .. don't want anyone stabbing someone with a fork .....

- I think you'll find we have increasing controls on the sales of certain types of knives and swords.....and certainly some very strict laws on the banning of carrying of them around in public.

But let's not be silly about this. No-one is taking tableware off of anybody....but try using one in public as an offensive weapon and see how the law will react!

I'll take our lethal assault record over yours anyday matey.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I've just got back from Parliament Square in central London where the large pro-hunting demonstration is being held.

What a fantastic group really standing up for what they believe. They'll be damned if they're going to let some sof pinko lefties take away their liberty. This is such a non-issue it is unbelievable. The only people that hunting affects are the bleeding heart ultra stout animal rights people, and who the hell really cares about them?

The demonstration is being championed by the Countryside Alliance (see www.countryside-alliance.com... ) who are doing a fantastic job. So far today they have had talks by Sir Ranolph Feinnes (Everest mountaineer) and Clarissa Dickson-Wright (her of the '2 Fat ladies' tv programme)

What is wrong with this country when there are so many other 'wronger' things that need the Commons' attention. This is a desperate last ditch attempt to win more votes for Tony Blair and his cronies, and it will not work.

As for the '95% of people against hunting' comment, I really do think you'd be surprised. I would be amazed if it was more than 60/40.

As the people who really count have been shouting all day, "Liberty to hunting....."

HTMB

[edit on 15-9-2004 by HeyThatsMyBike]

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Damn those Brits, Scots, and Irish that came over here to the Americas and wrote that Constitution. Fools went and put in there a clause to allow for the right of the common man to keep and bear arms. Hmmmm, they must have just been plain idiots those guys, back in the 1700's. Shame that Constitution exists, haha, and to think, written by whom? and why?

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Its all just the landed rich trying to hang onto middle ages power n privalige stuff... building a whole industry around some silly arcane sport so they can keep all this 'lord of the manor' crap.

That huge Countryside Alliance march a few years ago was supplimented by labourors who were told to turn up or get sacked... mm serfdom in the 21st century-tastic.

all those people employed in hunting are trapped in a dying industry... and I'm sure none of those Countryside Alliance folks gave a crap when the miners lost out to 'economic modernisation' or when shipbuilding went the way of the dinosaur.. and they expect the majority of us non-fox hunting folks to give a rats a*se?

Q

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Works for me.....I abhor hunting. For "me" it's not only about killing an animal, but it is the mindset of a person capable of scooping out an innocent animal, and killing it......but as I clearly stated above, this is just me. We can go to a grocery store now days to buy our food, there is no need for killing it ourselves, it's just that some people actually enjoy killing it, as if it's fun or something, and before anyone starts flaming me about our food source has to be killed, I do know that LOL......and I also feel that our food source is not treated humanely either. I'm not a big meat eater to start with.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I guess it comes down to this: Some people enjoy killing. Some people enjoy killing creatures that can't fight back.

A little less pointless death is good in my opinion.

smokenmirrors, thank you for your irrelevant post.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I wonder how many foxes are killed in Britain by hunting parties each year? I bet it is alot less than the number of foxes that are run over my motor vehicles each year. Why not ban cars and trucks in the habitats the foxes call home? After all, it's the foxes we are trying to ptotect, isn't it?

The part of the US I come from has a very liberal mind set. For many years, hunting and trapping were a normal part of rural and even suburbian life. Folks hunted deer, bear, and duck, mostly. Some indivuduals made a decent living off trapping animals such as foxes, coyotes, beavers, martins, fishers, and other small mammals, selling their pelts as has been done for hundreds of years.

Well, some time ago the PETA people made a concerted effort to get leg traps banned in this state - which would ultimately stop the practice of trapping all together. Through a campaign of disinformation and sensational advertising, the PETA people convinced the residents of my state (most who had never even seen a leg trap in their life) to vote to make leg traps illegal.

What people didn't realize was that the hunting and trapping was keeping the population of these animals in check. Since we had conveniently killed off all the Timber Wolves, Bears and Coyotes over 200 years ago, hunting and trapping was the only thing keeping the lower species in check.

The first thing that happened was a population explosion. People suddenly started noticing alot of wild animals in places they were never seen before. Compition for scarce food drove animals into close proximity with men, and conflicts started to happen. Deer ravaging gardens and farms. Beavers damming up creeks, causing floods into lands now occupied by $300,000 homes (this cracked me up because these were the same left-wing PETA types who voted to save the beavers in the first place). Heck, we even had large Tom Turkeys chasing our local mailman down the road.

Then came the diseases. Foxes started developing mange, and their population crashed. Varmints started catching and spreading rabies. Distempter is rampant.

Then came the return of the predators, especially the Coyotes. They are everywhere, killing and eating family dogs and cats. They have attacked children in broad daylight in front of their shocked parent's eyes. They have little fear. And because of our anti-hunting and anti-gun laws, your likely to spend time in front of a judge if you shoot a Coyote in your yard, unless it was actually attacking someone (and that someone DOES NOT include Fluffy, your miniature poodle).

Hunting serves a valid purpose in areas where man has eradicated the top predators of the local environment. It is a necessary evil - even though I don't find it evil in any way.

Ban hunting and trapping and see what happens. It won't be all roses.

[edit on 15-9-2004 by Pyros]

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pyros

Hunting serves a valid purpose in areas where man has eradicated the top predators of the local environment.

And herein lies the biggest problem! Man! Constantly alteriing a delicate system!
It is not hundreds of years ago...things and times change

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I posted this thread earlier. It didn't get a lot of traffic, but you can check it out anyway.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
It is not like that in Britain. There is no fox "problem", there just arnt that many anymore.

As said, this "hunt" is very ritualistic. It has no purpose, it does not control the fox population(it doesnt need controling) and the animal is not eaten. Pointless, apart that some people enjoy the kill.

In fact the only places fox population increases have taken place are in cities. And this is because most of their natural habitat has been destryed.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   
News just in..
Its just been banned, over a 100 majority voted for banning it

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
News just in..

That is brilliant news, thanks for letting us know!

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
News just in..

I don't agree with fox hunting, but remember that all those hunting hounds will have no home and a great many will be put down

There are always two sides to arguement

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
And it's good for the Fox to get you pet rabbit is it?

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Well, in a few years when the fox population soars, and sheep farmers start using leg traps, you may find some second guessing.

Leg Traps

Which death is more humane?

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   
bbc.co.uk news hasn't said it has been banned yet...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join