It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abandoned Buildings and/or Cities.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Ok... where to start... lol...

But one of my greatest interests, is in abandoned architecture. I am absolutely fascinated with, now vacant, once inhabited, 'landmarks' such as, any given building... or any given city. Lol. Now, what I mean by that is... there is just something about that 'haunting' vibe you feel when entering a place as described. But as I already know, there are just so many out there. I'm not only describing places I would like to visit, such as, Prypiat or Hashima Island. But I'm also talking about abandoned buildings, like, hospitals, schools, prisons, etc.

I guess I want to know, what places would you like to see? And does this capture your interest, as it does mine?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by iunlimited491

I am interested in the same thing. Used to explore abandoned buildings in past, but sadly now i don't know anyone that share my interest so haven't explored in years.

Edit: This place is one that i would very much like to explore: www.uer.ca...
edit on 24-1-2012 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
What about this:

This city is now completely in ruin and the inhabitants are leaving to build a completely new one. It's here in Australia if you want to visit.

Edit: Also if you are up for haunted locations, Brisbane also in QLD Australia, is regarded as the 2nd most haunted city in the world, it has many abandoned places like Jails and the such.
edit on 24-1-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by iunlimited491

Very interesting idea/topic. For a about four years, I used to visit the Mall of Memphis. My friends and I would drive there from Blytheville Air Force Base (a.k.a. Eaker AFB), Arkansas. The Mall of Memphis was about 1.5 hours away, a short drive for a large dose of civilization in the form of an actual mall, and, of course, Memphis. I eventually moved away, but always had fond memories of spending good times in that mall with my friends. Segue a decade or two into the future.

I learned that the Mall of Memphis (which possessed an Olympic-class interior skating rink overlooked by a second-story food court (no small measure) had been razed to the ground and became a grass lot. What!? I investigated what I'd been told by a random player during an internet poker chat. It was true. The mall was no more. Further, it had been completely demolished. Apparently, some murders in the mall and parking lot permanently ruined its reputation and it became known as the "Mall of Murder." I was saddened that such an important setting from my early adult years was gone. I could never revisit that place in person again...

So, your thread got me to thinking that there are surely many malls across the country that probably have NOT been demolished. I think that an abandoned mall would be an interesting place to visit, especially if a person has a direct, personal connection to it. But, even if a person didn't have a direct connection to a particular mall, there are enough *similarities* to bring back strong emotions. Most malls have similar stores and food court establishments. While particulars might differ, the broad strokes of mall memories might be very similar. Maybe this is why several zombie movies have been set in malls.... Because we have fond memories (mostly) from malls, and what better way to illustrate what we've lost than by setting a dramatic confrontation with the undead in a place that holds good memories for most people as a reminder of what we've lost.

So, for me, it's a deserted mall. I imagine it would be (as Shakespeare said) "such sweet sorrow."

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by GhostLancer

it's a little of topic but,some of the best times i had was with my buddies at the mall of memphis,they threw us out all the time for throwing french fries on the ice.............

new topics

top topics

join