It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Space-Based Missile Interceptors Could Pose Debris Threat

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 02:58 AM
link   
In 2012 the U.S. government plans to begin testing a space based missile defense system which relies on kinetic energy to destroy incommng missiles. However in order to prove the system works they will need to destroy missiles in space which begs the question, what about the debris? Whilst the pentagons radar systems can only track particles 10 cm across or bgger a particle a tenth of a centimeter could cause damge to the ISS satelites and spacecraft.

space.com
WASHINGTON D.C. - A U.S. Defense Department report says tests of space-based missile interceptors that could take place beginning in 2012 will create debris that could threaten the international space station, space shuttles and satellites in low Earth orbit.

However, to the study, conducted by the Missile Defense Agency (MDA), the threat is not severe because the debris likely would re-enter the atmosphere before colliding with anything, and NASA could move the international space station to avoid debris if necessary.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While I wholeheartedly believe the U.S. needs the abillty to intercept and destroy ballistic missile while still at high alttude, the debris question does need to be resolved. One possible course of action may be to upgrade the radar systems NORAD uses to track objects in orbt, another may be some form of debris cleanup program. one thing is for certain, space debris is a problem that will only get bigger as time goes on.

[edit on 9-14-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 04:12 AM
link   
d00d... the fact that a piece of debri #s the space station, is very low indeed. Imagine the space station being 1/4 of the world away in sapce, still visible to the explosion of a missile and debris goes flying everywhere, ...the fact that debris hits it... is very low. Just think of how very very very small an area the space station is.... Now.. gimme a break ;P

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I'm curious to know who the "big" enemy is that has the capability to launch ICBM's against the US ? The soviets have gone and Russia is practically an ally and will probably join NATO in the future ! China has a vested interest in US technology given it's expanding economy. Are we expected to believe that one of these small fundamentalist islamic states is going to launch an intercontinental attack. Sounds to me like some large defence firms in the US need an excuse to spend US tax dollars. And space will certainly consume a large amount.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I have said this many times before. WHat right do they have to float weapon systems above the whole planet??!

As the above poster said, who really is a threat for gods sake. The US government really needs putting in its place, lets hope it happens soon.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 05:33 AM
link   
What right? We can. We have the capabillity and no one else really does. (the chinese are devolping it, and the russians would have it if they could sort out thier economic woes) But at the moment we are the only ones who can do it, thats what gives us the right.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
What right? We can. We have the capabillity and no one else really does. (the chinese are devolping it, and the russians would have it if they could sort out thier economic woes) But at the moment we are the only ones who can do it, thats what gives us the right.

To float missles above MY country, you have no damn right.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Well Kriz unless your country can go up there and stop us theres not much you can do about it is there?

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 05:47 AM
link   

So we are all to understand that in the case that, let's say, Iran had the capabillities to put weapons above the United States Of America, you would be nowhere to be found in this forum complaining, since.... they simply had the capabillities first? You are a truely brave individual...well, at least when your country is the strongest ofcause.....

I'm sure your views or bravehood would not change in the case that Iran came first to space! We're all very impressed with your principles...

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Cade if Iran had gotten there first I wouldn't much like it, but without the abillity to go up and stop them my complaining wouldn't be worth a hill of beans now would it? The fact is those who devolp a tech first will exploit it first, those who don't will complain about what right those who did have to exploit it. In every tech that has ever been devolped its been the same way.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 05:52 AM
link   
What right does the wolf have to prey upon the deer? What right does the lion have to prey upon the gazelle?

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by malcr
I'm curious to know who the "big" enemy is that has the capability to launch ICBM's against the US ? The soviets have gone and Russia is practically an ally and will probably join NATO in the future ! China has a vested interest in US technology given it's expanding economy. Are we expected to believe that one of these small fundamentalist islamic states is going to launch an intercontinental attack. Sounds to me like some large defence firms in the US need an excuse to spend US tax dollars. And space will certainly consume a large amount.

Yes... "who" is the real enemy? He who is accused in the courtroom, or the judge who sentences before the trial?

Is the world changing because of 9/11? Have we been told the truth? If anyone here has recordings of what we were all told on September 11 2001, and then how that story was changed over the next 2 days, you'll start to see the massive power that was put in action to tell a very speciffic story. A story that could be used to start (so far) 2 wars. After the next "attack" or the next those space weapons will be cheered and welcomed by most people on this planet...I suppose there is no risk what so ever that someone has another agenda with those weapons...?

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 06:02 AM
link   
The next logical step after we have missile defense and another country gets missile defense is to put weapons in space in geostatic orbit directly above our enemies. One flinch and nukes come straight down on afterburner.

No military was never worried about putting 4,000 tons of plutonium into the world's atmosphere for us all to breath, if you think putting weapons into space is going to be stopped over concerns about space pollution, think again.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Cade if Iran had gotten there first I wouldn't much like it, but without the abillity to go up and stop them my complaining wouldn't be worth a hill of beans now would it? The fact is those who devolp a tech first will exploit it first, those who don't will complain about what right those who did have to exploit it. In every tech that has ever been devolped its been the same way.

So what you are saying now is that if your complaining would do some good, you would complain. On the other hand those here on the board who are complaining shouldn't?

Are you saying that simply because "it's been done", it's the right way "to do"? Are we all supposed to stand by and applaud while the wolf attacks the lam, simply because it's the ways of our world?

Do you think that leaves much room for improvement? Do we want improvement?

I'm sure you feel different rules apply to your behavior then does to our, but please consider your philosofy carefully and reconsider if they belong in a civilized world.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Whether we complain, applaud, or watch it still happens. Thats life, live with or die by it.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 09:21 AM
link   
So what do you think fellow threaders, should we join this rule of thought? Should we simply accept the ways of our world and let it happen?

Do we all have a small responsibility to lift, or is it all in vain?

Someone once said: "the greatest evil happens not when the wicked get wicked, but when good men do nothing".

Have you also given up and simply accepted that evil is part of our world, and decided to let it rule?
Or does the longing for justice still live in your heart?

Please, do not look at the enemy and be affraid by their sheer numbers, look instead for your soulmates. Shall we sit and do nothing or should we unite?

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 09:33 AM
link   
i am sure most people on this board have seen the many films that clearly show a missle or beam weapon attacking a ufo... so why is there a hub bub? Russia recently admitted that it had space based weapons up there (some come down from time to time) for the last 2-3 decades. the US has obviously had some form of them up there for about as long... so why worry... the earths orbit is already so thick with debris that NOTHING can be launched without getting hit by at least a few pieces of junk or meteorites... The only solution will be to occasionally scrub the orbital layers with a large junk catcher.
Oh and someone commented about what would happen if a nuke was destroyed when it came down... well guess what... we ALL have a small amount of cobalt in our system because of this very situation happening many years ago. We still have several "time bombs" that might go off in our atmosphere at any time. Watch the discovery program "Russias deadly space secrets" and you will see what i mean. The damage is already done... now lets figure out how to fix it..

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Fact is, there's already a lot of debris in space and only the US can clean it up. Ok probably at least 50% of it is US-made debris, and they might not have entirely unselfish reasons to do a such a clean-up but at least they might try, with benefits to all space-using nations.

Even if they were technologically and economically capable of such a task, I'm struggling to imagine any other nation even bothering. Can you?

E_T

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
We still have several "time bombs" that might go off in our atmosphere at any time. Watch the discovery program "Russias deadly space secrets" and you will see what i mean. The damage is already done... now lets figure out how to fix it..

Yep, leaking nuclear reactors of RORSATs made by soviets.
(and one RORSATs has even crashed to Canada scattering radioactive material)

Every satellite launch leaves more junk to orbit, but fortunately those in lower altitudes descend back to earth and burn in atmosphere.
But these

When you become obsessed with the enemy, you'll become the enemy.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   

I'm sure you feel different rules apply to your behavior then does to our, but please consider your philosofy carefully and reconsider if they belong in a civilized world.

Whether we complain, applaud, or watch it still happens. Thats life, live with or die by it.

Sadly, the member with the fatalistic attitude is realistic. Those currently in control of power in the U.S., U.K., and Israel, can and do impose their will on other nations and peoples. They relish the exercise of power in doing this. If they cannot do it by deception, diversion, and misdirection, then by
God they'll use their iron fist. One way or another their tragets will succumb to them. The message could not be any clearer. And "no" to those who respond with a jerk of the knee, this is not an expression of support or an excuse for those who target innocent men, women, and children with acts of terrorism.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by dubiousone

Sadly, the member with the fatalistic attitude is realistic. Those currently in control of power in the U.S., U.K., and Israel, can and do impose their will on other nations and peoples. They relish the exercise of power in doing this. If they cannot do it by deception, diversion, and misdirection, then by
God they'll use their iron fist. One way or another their tragets will succumb to them. The message could not be any clearer. And "no" to those who respond with a jerk of the knee, this is not an expression of support or an excuse for those who target innocent men, women, and children with acts of terrorism.

well, it's nice that you also agree with us that this is the ways of the world. But what do you think about the question?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join