It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Families Of Soldiers Not amused

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 02:27 AM
link   
This is an old article I found and I am not sure if this was ever posted, if it had been, I'm sorry for reposting it (ahead of time), but I felt that it deserved to be posted considering the fact of how many soldiers have died (total) up until now.

This article is sickening, it's dated back in March 2004, and it is about Bush joking/making fun of the fact that there were no WMD found in Iraq, he was at a Washington dinner.

This is one of the reasons I do not think G W Bush should be re-elected. What kind of US President would do such a thing when our troops are being slaughtered over there.

"Those weapons of mass destruction have to be here somewhere," Bush joshed as he narrated a slide show of him looking behind furniture, as if hunting for the weapons of mass destruction.

www.sunherald.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Wow, what a prick. So now he is admiting he was lieing about WMDs?

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Not at all,

The entire purpose of the event he was at is that politicians make fun of themselves there.

As in they take the things media and other politicians make fun of them for, and join in for a night.

In that light, It may have been slightly distastful, but he wasn't so much mocking the effort to find the weapons as joining in in the way that people are constantly making fun of him.

It had nothing to do with what he personally felt about the issue, that wasn't the point and taking it as a serious statement is not appropriate in this case.

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Wow, what a prick. So now he is admiting he was lieing about WMDs?

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   
blanketgirl,

YEP! You are SO correct ( I was gonna say right, but I'm afraid of the political backlash)

It's a tradition. It's expected. It's light humor.
And a time, one of the few times, the Press is on the other side of things.

Unless you count Those Faked Bush Memo's, lots of Comedic fodder there.

Space

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   
This video has him saying it, then it shows the soldiers in Iraq. It was pretty powerful to me.

media.musicforamerica.org...

EDIT: Just to warn you, some of the pics of the civilains aren't pretty.

[edit on 14-9-2004 by curme]

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
spacedoubt & blanketgirl... you're as sick your dumbf*ck president if you think sending over 1000 soldiers to their deaths for a lie is funny, in ANY CONTEXT.

then again their are some sick people here on ats I'm not really surprised.

[edit on 14/9/04 by muppet]

[edit on 14/9/04 by muppet]

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
The President was making fun of himself. The article reports that the presentation ended with a tribute to the troops. Surely, no one can forget the President's emotions in the wake of 9/11, his surprise visit to Iraq for Thanksgiving and a host of other gestures to the sacrifice of those who serve.

When we criticize the President, can't we use something of substance and not a moment when the President takes a moment to acknowledge the criticisms of him in a jocular way. Who among us has never done the same thing.

White House spokeswoman Claire Buchan noted that Bush ended his remarks at the dinner with a very serious tribute to U.S. forces serving in Iraq, but "was poking fun at himself" with the comments about weapons of mass destruction.

"Anyone who has followed the President's views on this knows how seriously he takes this issue," Buchan said.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
grady.. i understand your point.. but there are still certain things that one shouldn't joke about..

It would be like poking fun at the 9/11 victims. As a president he ought to know the line between black humour and the downright offensive.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   
The president does not care who is dying in Iraq as lond as his family investments and cheneys are safe.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
So, any of you 9/11 victims still looking for Osama? let me look behind my couch. Nope not there. So, anyone affected by the war ie death of a loved one believe in psychics? Well, here is what you do, go find a psychic, and have them find your dead husband/son/relative cause I can't find them!

Hmmm, that is offensive, I can be president!

Edited Part. And again, Bush does something bad, and the Bushies still love him! I know I have made a bunch of these today, but well, they to true.

Headline News. Bush goes out and shoots three kids who made fun of his daughters. The victims were in the 3rd grade. Bushies response?

"Well, they were commiting treason and the punishment for treason is death! How dare they make fun of the bush twins!"

[edit on 14-9-2004 by James the Lesser]

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Bill Murray said once, in a movie

"Don't drive angry"

Two things some of you need to get:

1.Over IT (the 2000 election)
2. A sense of humor

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
2. A sense of humor

tell that to the relatives of those killed and injured... I'm sure they'll see the funny side when you put it like that..

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Some of you also need to get a sense of reality. The damage being done by the Bush admin to the US is inestimable, socially, politically and financially, and will take decades to recover from.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Are any of these jokes funny?

WMD jokes

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Are any of these jokes funny?
WMD jokes

Sure, humour is humour, (unless it's humor of course), but it depends who's cracking the joke. If you're the guy who sent people off to die in the first place, than making jokes about it is in pretty bad taste. Is that really so hard to understand?

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   
No it's not hard to understand.

It's ok for anyone to make fun of the Pres, but self deprecating humor is out.
Thats what you are saying.

Soldiers are not sent to DIE, they are sent to WIN. BTW..

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Some of you also need to get a sense of reality. The damage being done by the Bush admin to the US is inestimable, socially, politically and financially, and will take decades to recover from.

Yeah, let's blame Bush. It's much easier than ridding the world of our enemies. How shallow can you get. In a way, I would like to see Kerry get elected, just so we can watch everyone here start railing against him for four years. Bout Time wondered if I would be around after 11/2/2004. I wonder if there will be a massive name changing epidemic if Kerry is elected and continues the war on Terrorism, which he undoubtedly would, just so no one here will have to appear two-faced. If Kerry is elected everyone here who hates Bush will start hating Kerry, because most who rail against Bush, hate America.

[edit on 04/9/14 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Bill Murray said once, in a movie

"Don't drive angry"
Two things some of you need to get:
1.Over IT (the 2000 election ,
2. A sense of humor

spacedoubt, you and other Republicans
(1) need to get over the 2000 election, Oh thats right, the "neocons" right wingers, can't because they know that the 2000 election was stolen from the Democrats so they have to keep bringing it up , it's really the only thing they have that makes since to them. But since you "righties" want to keep bringing the 2000 election up, here's something for everyone to read. It tells just how "dirty" the Republican Party will get,..... to win.

a9.g.akamai.net...

Sence of humor

(2) Why don't you , or one of your "close" family members go over to Iraq to fight,.... get yourself killed ( for oil), I bet the rest of your family would not find "Bush's" sick" humor very funny .
-------------------------------

curme, your link doesn't work, do you have a different one ?

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 01:47 AM
link   
It's hard to blame Bush, he has no idea in hell what's going on. I feel pity for the people who 'support' him. What's to support? The guy's a figurehead, he's not making decisions. He's an image, an icon, and a barely functioning one at that. What, 12 press conferences in 4 years when his dad did 141 in the same time? What a joke.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by taibunsuu
It's hard to blame Bush, he has no idea in hell what's going on. I feel pity for the people who 'support' him. What's to support? The guy's a figurehead, he's not making decisions. He's an image, an icon, and a barely functioning one at that. What, 12 press conferences in 4 years when his dad did 141 in the same time? What a joke.

You just described every president since Truman. They are all figure heads Clinton was a figure head Bush Sr so on and so on.

[edit on 15-9-2004 by ShadowXIX]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join