It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous deletes CBS website data.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Looks like their at it again. Universal got hit again too.

gizmodo.com...

Anonymous Just Deleted CBS.com and Took Down Universal

Taking a shorter break than their last vacation, Anonymous is back at it already. Reports are coming in that they had completely knocked out CBS.com and are continuing their revenge spree. The CBS takedown wasn't your regular DDoS attack because if you went to CBS.com at the time Anon attacked it, there was nothing except an index page with a single file. That's it. Basically, Anonymous gained access to CBS.com and deleted EVERYTHING.

By Casey Chan
Jan 22, 2012 1:00 PM

edit on 23-1-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
CBS is one of those corporate media companies correct?
the ones that lie to the populace? (not nearly as bad as fox)

They should go after fox,
But good on them. Break the crap news cycle and force people to take initiative and find things out themselves.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
www.pcmag.com...

It was first assumed that Anonymous somehow acquired root access to CBS.com in this morning's attack, as the site's files and directories appeared to have been wiped. However, additional investigation reveals that the attackers used a technique called DNS poisoning to redirect visitors to different web servers than those hosting CBS' site.
"Anonymous did not take down #CBS .com ; the IP for their web host changed from 92.122.127.27 to 198.99.118.36 & 37; looks like poisoned DNS,"

So, looks like the redirected DNS attacks are now the new LOIC. Clever tactic.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

very interesting now let's see if they are all talk or not, will this screw us internet users even more?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Nope, pretty dumb actually, they might as well just go round smashing windows and crapping on doorsteps.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonMoon

Nope, pretty dumb actually, they might as well just go round smashing windows and crapping on doorsteps.

Actually it's very clever. Anyone convicted of these hacks could just tell the courts that they had no idea their computer was used in the attacks. Whereas downloading a LOIC suggests guilt, no?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I was speaking to a few security professionals about this on IRC last night and it seems this is a much more sophisticated attack than most of Anons other projects. A few of the people i was chatting with were quite impressed that they managed to do this.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

Originally posted by CrimsonMoon

Actually it's very clever. Anyone convicted of these hacks could just tell the courts that they had no idea their computer was used in the attacks. Whereas downloading a LOIC suggests guilt, no?

No its not clever AT ALL.
No downloading LOIC does not suggest guilt.

The difference between a hacker and an anon (script kiddie) is as wide as that of an artist and a vandal. Like I said they might aswell just # on peoples doorsteps, I mean who's side are they on?

Whatever way you think the internet works is incorrect. Anyone who has to download LOIC to ''Hack" a system is lacking poorly in the skills and knowledge department when using a few tools like NMAP & NETCAT to name a few, can achieve far more stealthy and poetic results.

Anyone who's greatest skill is downloading LOIC will sure to be doing porridge time pretty soon.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Umm.. seems to be working pretty fine for me :<

www.cbs.com...

edit: sorry didn't mind reading the entire article... So there it says they managed to put themselves back online... So just ignore what I posted.
edit on 23-1-2012 by paulorf86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
I was speaking to a few security professionals about this on IRC last night and it seems this is a much more sophisticated attack than most of Anons other projects. A few of the people i was chatting with were quite impressed that they managed to do this.

Not really, although a 'DNS spoof' attack is a little more sophisticated than LOIC its sill a fact that any numpty can hop onto youtube and search 'DNS Spoofing' and get a demo.

See my above comment regarding script kiddies & porridge ^

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by CrimsonMoon

From what i heard they gained FTP access to the server and deleted all content. Thats SFTP which is very difficult. CBS managed to recover from backups quite quickly.

If they did just redirect the traffic thats not so special. But would CBS admit to deleted content?
edit on 23-1-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I'm sorry to say that here but I can't start a thread yet, but has anybody seen that Anon is giving away 10 years of Sony "stuff" for download for free? The only link I found about that was in portuguese so not worth linking here...

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Deleting a website is nothing.
Most websites are backed up continuously.

IMO what Anonymous should be doing with these MPAA & RIAA Clowns is to be rooting around hidden in their networks and exposing things they don't want us to see.

Like how they know that illegal downloads aren't hurting their business model.

The truth is what Anonymous should be after. Not piddly DNS poisoning attacks.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Looks like their at it again. Universal got hit again too.

gizmodo.com...

Anonymous Just Deleted CBS.com and Took Down Universal

Taking a shorter break than their last vacation, Anonymous is back at it already. Reports are coming in that they had completely knocked out CBS.com and are continuing their revenge spree. The CBS takedown wasn't your regular DDoS attack because if you went to CBS.com at the time Anon attacked it, there was nothing except an index page with a single file. That's it. Basically, Anonymous gained access to CBS.com and deleted EVERYTHING.

By Casey Chan
Jan 22, 2012 1:00 PM

edit on 23-1-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

I don't know...and I have been thinking. What if there was a conspiracy that Anonymous was created by the elite to make it appear that it was an external threat only so that they could delete all archived information on their websites so the world lost access to this information?

If you delete history of the news people will forget the past and would need new information for the future, which of course would be at the discretion of the Elite. Thought?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I do not understand why they simply redirected visitors...IF they had root access, why not wipe everything that was on the server? That would have been much more of a headache for them to get their site back up and running, but I am sure they have backups on other servers, so really it wouldn't have been that bad. Honestly, this doesn't accomplish much for the greater good.

If you are going to hit them, hit them where it hurts. Enough of this playing nice with distributed denial of service attacks, redirects, etc...At least upgrade to some SQL injection, or other methods to gain database control...Then not only wipe everything, but make it much harder for them to get their database back online. That's just one suggestion, although that probably wouldn't be too effective either.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I keep posting this but few seem to realise.

Whats the biggest weapon the elites have?

Answer THE TELEVISION!!!

I know it probably VERY difficult to do but just imagine if ALL the sheeple knew what we know?

Just imagine if anons message were to appear on the tv at prime time

If they do that I'll beleive they are working for the greater good.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
The funny part is : nones take the time to think about the attack as distraction.

"lol ,Anonymous is full of script kiddies"

Does it remind you something , when i say "look weak, when you're strong" ?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

I don't know...and I have been thinking. What if there was a conspiracy that Anonymous was created by the elite to make it appear that it was an external threat only so that they could delete all archived information on their websites so the world lost access to this information?

If you delete history of the news people will forget the past and would need new information for the future, which of course would be at the discretion of the Elite. Thought?

We have books and printed press, they would have to burn every single printed book, newspaper and magazine in order to take away access to history for us. Think also of recorded radio programmes and TV shows.I think you were a bit off on that one

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Ah, sorry, I just got home. ugh.. My busy day is over with, and I'm going to bed. I'll read this later, okay guys. Really tired.

<<   2 >>

join