It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. asked to probe U.S. efforts to squelch Spain torture probe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

U.N. asked to probe U.S. efforts to squelch Spain torture probe

www.sacbee.com

Two legal rights groups on Thursday asked the United Nations to investigate allegations that Spanish and U.S. officials collaborated to quash criminal probes into whether the Bush administration authorized illegal killings and torture of terrorism suspects.

The request, made to the U.N.'s special rapporteur for judicial independence, accused the United States of interfering with Spain's justice system in three different criminal cases. The New York-based Center for Constitutional Rights and the Berlin-based European Center for Constitutional and Human Rights asked that the U.N. demand tha
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.mcclatchydc.com

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I'm glad someone has the courage to come out and challenge what many would consider unlawful acts based on hypocrisy. This "probe" will most likely end up being a waste of time, but if you add this to the 4 court cases a Spanish court have just reopened it's a glimmer of hope for those who care about justice being served.

All the dictators that have had their power taken away recently have fallen victim to the justice system, maybe one day Bush and Obama will be subject to similar proceedings.

I guess diplomatic immunity only applies to a certain few, and even then you're not always safe because once you're no longer useful you become expendable.

www.sacbee.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 22-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
everyone needs justice

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
S+F for you! I usually come here for the UFO and mythology stuff however at the forefront of it all, we ought to remember, is that we seek a Truth being intentionally kept from us by these men and as thus, it out to remain at the forefrunt of all our research and desires to keep up with current events. Good job, thank you! Remind these people; it's not dairies for everyone and we are part of the problem so long as we choose to ignore it and that it is just as easy for that problem to be on your door step.

Now that he's out of President, I do hope that the courtesy will be given and at least he'll answer questions or cooperate and if not, a Judge for him to do so. As any suspected, and being able to commit the crime by position, person would or should be demanded to be held to Trial for his crimes. Again, thanks, S+F

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I apoligize and must confess, but this is the first thing I thought of after reading your headline.

www.youtube.com...

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

I'm curious though, what happened to the CIA agents who were in court a couple of years back?

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by RadiatorOfTheLight

I have a feeling that Bush can easily find a way to weasel out of this.

The Bush administration drafted amendments to the War Crimes Act that would retroactively protect policy makers from possible criminal charges for authorizing any humiliating and degrading treatment of detainees, according to lawyers who have seen the proposal.

The move by the administration is the latest effort to deal with the treatment of those taken into custody in the war on terror.

articles.boston.com...

I doubt he was smart enough to think of this, but they have found a way to cover up their footsteps.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I'm not sure if I recall the specific incident you're mentioning about the CIA agents.

The last incident I recall was:

News World news CIA US gives fresh details of CIA agent who killed two men in Pakistan shootout

US officials have provided fresh details about Raymond Davis, the CIA agent at the centre of a diplomatic stand-off in Pakistan, including confirmation that he had worked for the private security contractor Xe, formerly known as Blackwater. They also disclosed for the first time that he had been providing security for a CIA team tracking militants.

Davis was attached to the CIA's Global Response Staff, whose duties include protecting case officers when they meet with sources. He was familiarising himself with a sensitive area of Lahore on the day he shot dead two Pakistanis.

I'm guessing this is a different example since the one you mentioned had two people.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Bush will never go to court. Unless there were a revolution in the US. No countries President, Prime Minister ot Leader for life ever goes to court unless their government is overthrown.

And if they tried Bush in absentia, they would have to try Carter, Bush Sr, Clinton and Obama as well.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

I've googled what I'm refering to, but am coming up with nada. If memory serves me correct though, back in the mid-2000's, wasn't there some US agents who were put on trial in Spain for war crimes? If I remember correctly, they were convicted in absentia, but after that...I have heard nothing.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

Bush will never go to court. Unless there were a revolution in the US. No countries President, Prime Minister ot Leader for life ever goes to court unless their government is overthrown.

And if they tried Bush in absentia, they would have to try Carter, Bush Sr, Clinton and Obama as well.

They already tried Bush and his fellow cronies in a Malaysian court, Bush and his cronies were found guilty of war crimes and crimes against humanity.

You're right though, justice will never come unless the status quo is brought down by the people, and by the looks of it, it can't be done peacefully through the corrupt system. Look at Ron Paul's efforts, it will most likely be in vain and boom, no justice no peace will hit the streets.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Without looking it up, I am pretty sure the CIA agents were tried in Italy rather than Spain.

I recall that they were convicted but of course the US ignored it.

It was still a good idea to do it and we remember that a country made an attempt, at least.

The statement, "If it was not on the news, it didn't happen." applies here, in my view.

If the media came out and screamed that the presidents and the administrations you mentioned were all guilty of war crimes and hammered it home as they do with other issues then all the criminals would be in prison or in front of a firing squad.

The media tells what to get excited about and make people who demand justice for unpopular causes seem like crackpots.

Originally posted by TDawgRex

I've googled what I'm refering to, but am coming up with nada. If memory serves me correct though, back in the mid-2000's, wasn't there some US agents who were put on trial in Spain for war crimes? If I remember correctly, they were convicted in absentia, but after that...I have heard nothing.

new topics

top topics

join