It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The USS Momsen equipped with mine hunting robots!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   
The USS Momsen an Guided missile destroyer commissioned this Saturday was the first warship in the world to be equipped with a new unmanned remote mine hunting system, this will help the US navy find locate and destroy mines easier reducing the risk to the ship.

When the US Navy's newest guided missile destroyer, USS Momsen, was commissioned this past Saturday, it became the world's first warship equipped with Lockheed Martin's Remote Minehunting System (RMS). The RMS provides the Navy with its first-ever organic mine reconnaissance capability using an unmanned, remotely operated vehicle.
"It is fitting that the first RMS unit has been installed on a ship named for Adm. Swede Momsen," said Jim Weitzel, Lockheed Martin vice president of Ocean Systems.

Powered by a diesel engine that provides long endurance at sea, the semi- submersible RMS is remotely operated by integrating the vehicle's software system with the ship's AN/SQQ-89 (V) 15 Undersea Warfare System.
The RMS uses a variable depth sensor and transmits information to the ship using real-time data links. Scheduled to begin shipboard testing in early September, RMS is planned to be installed on six Navy guided missile destroyers and on the Navy's new Littoral Combat Ship.

www.spacedaily.com...

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   
hear is some links I found

raytheon.com

nationaldefenesmagazine.org

[edit on 13-11-2004 by blue cell]

join