It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Observations on Paranormal Phenomena

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Hello

I first gained interest in the Paranormal when watching shows like A Haunting,then later Ghost Hunter and finally Ghost Lab.I particularly was interested in since I noticed that there might be something to the real life happenings from a scientific perspective,but was rather disappointed that most of the cases that were "solved" ended up with a priest coming to bless or exorcise the house.

Of course one would have to first acknowledge of the existence of the human soul, an afterlife and spirits but I don't have a problem with all that since I personally do think they exist in my own world view,along with their so called "demon" versions,which I think may either be very negatively charged spirits or some other form of creature from the "spirit dimension" as I call the afterlife.

I want to state that I'm non religious but I am open minded inclined to more scientific explanations and therefore do not believe in the way religious people deal with this sort of phenomena, but I also don't mean to offend anyone that is.So I was wondering whether there are alternative explanations for this phenomena and how to deal with them?

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Oracle
Hello

I first gained interest in the Paranormal when watching shows like A Haunting,then later Ghost Hunter and finally Ghost Lab.I particularly was interested in since I noticed that there might be something to the real life happenings from a scientific perspective,but was rather disappointed that most of the cases that were "solved" ended up with a priest coming to bless or exorcise the house.

Of course one would have to first acknowledge of the existence of the human soul, an afterlife and spirits but I don't have a problem with all that since I personally do think they exist in my own world view,along with their so called "demon" versions,which I think may either be very negatively charged spirits or some other form of creature from the "spirit dimension" as I call the afterlife.

I want to state that I'm non religious but I am open minded inclined to more scientific explanations and therefore do not believe in the way religious people deal with this sort of phenomena, but I also don't mean to offend anyone that is.So I was wondering whether there are alternative explanations for this phenomena and how to deal with them?

I believe everything religious has a scientific explanation. We just have to find it. It's not like God created a world that completely contradicted the laws through which He/She/It made it...that's counterproductive.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
My thoughts in this are two fold, one from a personal perspective I don't believe in ghost, period.

Now as for the rest of what you said, my thoughts go along this line of thinking. If people bring in priest to deal with these things, and they get the house blessed and they no longer have problems (Something many people have said has helped their "haunting")

Than either it was all psychosomatic and the priest coming by "fixed" their problem, and mentally gave them a way out of what ever psychosis the people where experiencing.

OR The priest really did something, either Religious in origin or "spiritual" or its some other mechanism science hasn't defined.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Well I'm not looking for an explanation within a religious context,because science doesn't go well with religion,and since I don't believe in religions in general it wouldn't bode well for me.

But I sense you do,and there's no harm in that.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I thought along the same lines,and I have a theory that all of the interactions might have a possible explanation if we check out The Holographic Paradigm which scientists David Bohm and Karl Pribram put together,in which they try to explain the phenomena by being a possible mental battle for the home,which then would suggest that humans would possess a sort of capacity to repel spirits somehow.

There's a book called The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot and I'm inspired from it to think these activities may actually be true.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
My thoughts in this are two fold, one from a personal perspective I don't believe in ghost, period.

Now as for the rest of what you said, my thoughts go along this line of thinking. If people bring in priest to deal with these things, and they get the house blessed and they no longer have problems (Something many people have said has helped their "haunting")

Than either it was all psychosomatic and the priest coming by "fixed" their problem, and mentally gave them a way out of what ever psychosis the people where experiencing.

OR The priest really did something, either Religious in origin or "spiritual" or its some other mechanism science hasn't defined.

You're welcome to your own beliefs. However, I think you should study Poveglia Island, one of THE most haunted places on Earth. This is not an exaggeration. It is one of THE most haunted...and if you spend one night on that island, you will not walk away a skeptic, guaranteed. You may not even walk away at all...and I'm not being dramatic here, either. But as I said, one thing is certain: you will not be a skeptic.

But then again, where would we be without skeptics?

edit on CSaturdaypm444408f08America/Chicago21 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

I agree that skeptics sometimes show a bit of ignorance when it comes to hauntings,probably because of major skepticism when it comes to anything paranormal and not scientific,but I'd like to encourage research into this subject because I feel it will be worth it in the end.

Besides if we don't open up our minds to other possibilities,we might never advance in our investigations in the first place.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Not sure if I'm allowed to post this, but if so, try this book. Certain parts of it may offer an alternative viewpoint for you to consider.
Urantia Book

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Oracle

Yes I am aware of that book, as well as having read up on the holographic universe.

IF true, than who is to say we arn't all just running on "Gods" Hard drive somewhere while he plays sims...

IF that's the case than pretty much what most religions say really is true, we are created beings with some all mighty all knowing creator, one that really is greater than us.

And he may just end up being some Alien 12 year old, or even A human from the future running sims on the past...

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by trollz

Is that anyway related to scientifically accepted explanations within a religious context?

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

A lot of things seem to indicate towards an explanation concerning how we interact holographically,like how the gap between the spirit dimension and ours seem to be easier to bridge across when there's significant energy concentrated into it by taping into either electromagnetism or emotions like fear.

And even if those "preposterous" ideas are possible they haven't been proven yet,and even if they were the world doesn't seem to have a problem with function the way it has so far,so I'd suggest finding more compatible explanations to this,because the paradigm is quite elegant really.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Well I haven't read all of it but from what I have read it seems to be a combination of religion and science. For example, it explains the creation of the universe and life as being a very long evolutionary process, rather than simply "God created everything in 7 days". It contains alot of information about various subjects, including spirits and "ghost" beings. Apparently (not confirmed) it has also revealed certain scientific facts that were discovered AFTER the book was revealed. The lemur thing in human evolution is one example.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Here is the part that I think discusses "ghosts" or whatever you want to call them:

Link

(855.1) 77:0.1 MOST of the inhabited worlds of Nebadon harbor one or more groups of unique beings existing on a life-functioning level about midway between those of the mortals of the realms and of the angelic orders

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by trollz

But how much of that is scientifically accurate,that's what I'm interested in?

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Here is some evidence of things in the book having scientific backing:

Link

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Personally, I think that a lot of ghosts, the spiritual realm, blah blah blah are just beings that exist within another dimension. If I'm not mistaken, a popular thing in String Theory is that our universe actually has 11 dimensions, most of which are simply too small or obscure for us to notice.

I think that ghosts and stuff can be explained using quantum mechanics and other such lovely things, but we just haven't gotten to that point yet and don't yet have the proper knowledge or exploration in such fields.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Heres one thats not religious , this is a very good book about all kinds of paranormal things thats very interesting.
Poltergeist by Colin Wilson. Its an older book but cites some interesting examples and cases..

new topics

top topics

join