It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK - Private Clinics Allowed to Advertise Abortions on TV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
UK Telegraph - Private Clinics Allowed to Advertise Abortions on TV

The decision last night attracted criticism from pro-life campaigners, who said it risked trivialising terminations by putting them on the same footing as consumer choices such as different brands of car or detergent.

Until now, only not-for-profit organisations have been permitted to use television and radio to advertise family planning services, such as advice on unplanned pregnancies. Under the new rules, announced yesterday by the Committee of Advertising Practice (CAP) and the Broadcast Committee of Advertising Practice (BCAP), commercial enterprises will be allowed to do the same.

The two bodies, responsible for Britain’s advertising codes, said it had become impossible to justify not allowing companies to advertise because the services they offer are legal. However, campaigners warned that it could lead to a flood of advertising campaigns which would diminish the seriousness of terminating pregnancies and lead to a rise in abortions

Well ... this is interesting.

Right to free speech and freedom of capitalism ... or is it just awful? Or maybe both? Or maybe it's the natural progression of humanity on the road to self destruction .. or maybe it's the natural progression of humanity on the road to self determination. At any rate - it's different. So .. what is this ATS?

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

i'd imagine there would be limits on what times the adverts are shown and how they will be worded so i doubt they'll be graphic and will probably end up using so many wierd phrases that most people wont even know what they are talking about

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Difficult one.

As much as I believe a woman has every right to do as she feels is right for her and as much as I believe in the principles of freedom of speech and choice etc I still can't help being influenced by the imposition of certain morals etc upon me as I was growing up within a Catholic education system and as such I'm uncomfortable about the thought of abortion clinics being advertised on television.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   

i am actually opposed to this , why ?

not because i have a pro life opinion . rather i do not believe that abortion ads can posibly assist making an informed choice on the matter , personally - i have never made any choice based on an adverisement , advertisements have made me aware of a products existance - but never influenced my actual descision

abortion advice is availiable freely through the NHS and many other bodies - and if a woman contemplating abortion had the financial means to ` go private ` then [ i am reliably informed ] that serveral of the free advice services do maintain lists and contact info for private hospitals and clinics that do provide abortion services

without even seeing an abortion services advert - just imagine based on all other advertising you have seen - would a 30 second advert give you the info required to make an informed descision ?

no ? then why do we need them ??????

top topics

join