It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N.: Up to 10,000 Dying a Month in Darfur Camps

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
The WHO has indicated despite an international effort, up to 10,000 people are dying monthly. Alot of these death are children. The article points out that they are already 6 months into the crisis and things seem to be getting worse.

story.news.yahoo.com
GENEVA (Reuters) - Up to 10,000 people, many of them children, are dying each month from disease and violence in Darfur camps, despite the international aid effort in the vast and arid region, the World Health Organization (news - web sites) said Monday.

A study of settlements in the west and the north of the conflict ridden region, carried out by the United Nations (news - web sites) health agency, pointed to a monthly toll of 6,000-10,000 out of a displaced population of 1.2 million, it said.

"Thousands of these are children," said David Nabarro, who heads the WHO's health crisis action group. "What is disturbing is that we are already six months into this crisis," he told a news conference.

The United States has said the violence amounts to genocide and accuses the Sudanese government of not doing enough to stop Arab militia attacks against African tribes, which Khartoum suspects of supporting rebels in the region.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The UN in to step in with a peace keeping force. Thats what the UN IMHO is best suited for. A multinational force is really what is needed to restore order and stop the genocide. Simply throwing aid is never the answer, a security force is nessesary to make sure the aid gets to where it is needed and not diverted.

[edit on 13-9-2004 by FredT]

[edit on 8-10-2004 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Darfur death toll passes 70,000'

From BBC: Darfur death toll 'reaches 70,000'

About 70,000 displaced people are thought to have died in Sudan's Darfur region since March, mainly from disease and malnutrition, a UN official says.
David Nabarro, head of the World Health Organisation's health crisis group, said up to 10,000 people were still dying in refugee camps each month.

He said the mortality rate would not fall unless more urgent aid was sent.

The African Union has announced it will begin deploying armed peacekeeping troops to Darfur this weekend.

*More than 1m displaced
*Up to 70,000 killed
*More at risk from disease, starvation and lack of aid
*Arab militias accused of ethnic cleansing
*Sudan blames rebels for starting conflict

On Friday, Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo said 4,500 troops from the AU were expected to be deployed in Darfur by the end of November.

Mr Obasanjo - who is currently serving as chairman of the AU - said in a statement that the AU force would be made up of five battalions.

He said one battalion from Rwanda would be deployed in Darfur by Sunday, while a Nigerian battalion will be on the ground by 30 October.

Mr Obasanjo said he expected three other countries to provide the remaining three battalions.

It was not immediately clear which other African nations would supply the troops.

Click link for full article...

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Sudan is an example of humanity at its worst -- discrimination based on race and religion, taken to its most horrific extremes, at the same time. The Arab Muslims in Sudan will not stop until the (black) African Christians have all been exterminated.

It seems to me that the U.N. is impotent to take action here (they should be embrassed to just be reporting it, and not doing anything about it ), because it's afraid that it will appear anti-Arab or anti-Muslim in the eyes of the world in the middle of the U.S.-led war on terrorism, due to the terrorists all being Muslim extremists. I don't know about you, but I don't care what race, religion, nationality, etc. terrorists and murderers are -- I just care about the fact that they're terrorists and murderers.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   

The Australian: Darfur toll 'at least 300,000'

MORE than 300,000 people have died as a result of the conflict in Sudan's Darfur region, British MPs say in a report.

The figure is more than four times greater than an official UN estimate.

The committee's report faults the UN health body for making a "gross underestimate" of the toll of the two-year conflict, began when a rebellion in the vast western Sudanese region was put down by government-sponsored militias which led a scorched-earth campaign against local civilians.

Ouch... When will the world respond to this?

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
This shows what a joke the War on Terror is. Hey, Saddam killed tons of his own people, let's liberate them. What about the Sudan? Oh, yeah, that's bad, let's tell them it's bad.

If we were really spreading freedom, why the FOCK don't we invade the Sudan and liberate them? Sure, there's no oil, but let's free the people...

This is more evidence that shows only a fool believes in the WOT. Yeah, I said it. This whole thing is phony, but so many people believe we spread freedom...what a fockin joke.

And as for the UN being the peacekeeper, that is more bullsheet, I'm sorry. The UN is PUSHING population reduction agendas, so this obviously fits into their plans. After all, the elite can't rule over billions of people...

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
This isn't about "we" or the US, truthseeka, its about the UN!, mkay?

Another strike against the el' defuncto United Nations.
But hey, Darfur is the furthest thing from Kofi's mind....they have enough problems of their own to be overly concerned about Darfur.

Reports been rolling in on the acts of genocide taking place in Darfur for nearly a year. What have they done? Report after report....

The United Nations is nothing but a castrated toothless enforcer.
Hell, maybe if they stand and watch a bit longer or so, there won't be much of anyone in the region to save to worry about trying to do something, eh?!

seekerof

[edit on 30-3-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
This is nothing to do with 'the failings of the UN' and everything to do with the countries that comprise the UN refusing to act.

The UN is not an independant sovereign 'body' it is solely a cooperative whos' entire actions are only carried out on the basis of the active participation and agreement of it's constituent parts.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
seekerof
The reason the UN is toothless and impotent? Would you care to hazard a guess?

Could it have something to do with the squabbling between America and the other member nations, rather than the leadership of the speaker?

Maybe the fact that people like you continually berate and abuse, instead of support the organization helps contribute to their inefficacy?

Maybe it's all those ATS threads claiming they rape every child in Africa, steal money, are involved with black magic...

Just a few thoughts...

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   

as posted by WyrdeOne
The reason the UN is toothless and impotent? Would you care to hazard a guess?

Do you really need an explanation why?
If you seek an explanation from me, no short answer will do.
The ATS search feature using "united nations + seekerof" might prove to be a fruitful adventure into my reasoning though.

As for this:

Maybe the fact that people like you continually berate and abuse, instead of support the organization helps contribute to their inefficacy?

You have become quite outspoken here of late, haven't ya?

As a tax payer and an individual with an opinion and the ability to act as I see responsible, I am also entitled to my inherent example-ridden reasoning behind why I feel and say as I do about the defuncto UN, huh?
There are millions more that feel exactly as I do.
The crisis in Darfur has been going on for how long? UN bandaid actions have done what exactly to remedy the situation?

I thought so

seekerof

[edit on 30-3-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Jesus christ when the Hell is the US going to do something about this!

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

- Precisely Nygdan.

I wonder if all the current crop of venomous American anti-UN folks would care to post up just how often (and how so we can see just how seriously) the USA has raised this issue for action on the Security Council.

Instead of using this quibbling 'cover' of simply attacking the UN it might be a tad more illuminating to find out just what the US has done as part of the UN itself to provoke attention and action over this issue.

Any bets on a period of deafening silence for a while and then the anti-UN muck-slinging starting up again?

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Prison Camp Named Africa

It is really sad to watch the international community, along with UN and US how people slaughter each other each and every year, creating a massive ammount of civilian casualties and refugees. Meanwhile these Warlords that should be stopped receive weapons.

Its like a Big Prison Camp, where people kill each other non-stop, people die of diseases non-stop and nobody really give a Damn about it: 10.000 a month in Dafur, 3000 a day in Congo...

...and where is the "World Police" to stop this madness and disease spreading?

[edit on 30/3/05 by Souljah]

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Personally I would have much rather seen an Operation Sudan instead of Operation Iraq. The situation in Iraq before our invasion was no where near as bad as what has been happening in Sudan over the past 5 years.

But turn we continue to turn a blind eye and mouth off a few words and pass the buck to the UN instead of taking stances like we normally do when the situation benefits us.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
If we were really spreading freedom, why the FOCK don't we invade the Sudan and liberate them? Sure, there's no oil, but let's free the people...

No oil? The Sudan is lousy with oil--which is why both the U.S. and the U.N. have been hoping this "little" crisis in Darfur would just "go away" with a nice talking to and the threat of sanctions, so everyone could just go about their business of raping the land instead of the people.

As the Sudan has already been sanctioned up the yin-yang by the U.S. since 1997 (a big reason why the U.S. should want this mess to be over--U.S. oil companies can't do business there), I don't think that scares them--especially since China is the largest importer of oil from the Sudan and sure to veto any U.N. attempt to impose an oil embargo.

Being that Osama bin Laden lived in Sudan in the mid-90's, I assumed that the U.S. was going to use the genocide plus the potential for this to become a "terrorist's haven" as an excuse to tell the U.N. where to go, invade a la Iraq, depose the government, and take over all of the oil--but perhaps we really are stretched too thin to invade another country... or maybe the presence of China and their newfound friendship with Russia is too much to take on.

Oh, and the people? The ones who are dying? Yeah, no one really cares about them. If they did, the U.N. would be sending troops instead of allowing 14 people be killed by the janjaweed every hour the U.S. & Europe spend bickering over where to try war criminals.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
The UN cant do anything if its members , includeing the the US and the UK dont make a start...since the UN is its members after all...

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   
*Sigh* Deny Ignorance, while you complain that the UN isn't doing anything, the World Food Programme fed 1.6 MILLION people in the Darfur region in February alone.

WFP delivered food to 1.6 million people in the western Sudan region of Darfur in February, a 34 percent increase over the number reached in January and the highest monthly total fed since the start of WFP’s Emergency Operation in April 2004.

A total of 28,668 metric tons of WFP food reached 1,611,407 people driven from their homes and local residents compared with 1,206,099 people in January. Dispatches by WFP of food to the three Darfur states rose by 22 percent in February over January.

seems the UN is doing a lot more than any of you are complaining about it on this forum.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Can anyone explain why International Peacekeepers haven't been sent other than the mainstream reasons?

Are there some secret business deals being done on the side?

Shady!

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

You have to admit there is an irony about God advising Bush on Iraq, but apparently silent on this issue.

new topics

top topics

join