It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sticky Bar in long Threads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Is it possible to have something like a bar above every Thread for sticky notes?

Often a Thread gets many many pages long and essential informations are given by members throughout the Thread. With something like this sticky "space" above every page, the OP could then provide this information (videos, infos etc.) so everybody is up to date and it would prevent to answer the same question over and over again just because somebody didn't and couldn't go through all the pages.

Just a thought

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Reader Take Note

Hey, that's a pretty cool idea!

The linear nature of threads is both a blessing and a curse, and as we all know, trying to catch up on a huge megathread can take more time than we can spare. Multiply that out by a bunch of megathreads and, well, we know how that goes.

Having a place for the thread-starter to post updates and/or summaries would be a nice touch, since the edit window (which is there for good reasons, trust me on that) limits updates of the OP itself to staff edits, and we can only be so many places at once. A tool offering a simple way for members to post updates that wouldn't get lost in the shuffle could be a pretty neat option indeed.

Add that to a nice suite of thread search tools (long on the wish list) and that could make big threads a lot easier to handle.

There are many, many issues that future software upgrades will need to address and it's hard to know in advance how things will shake out (Bill may implement a different set of features that may do the same thing through other means, for example), but suggestions like these can help dial in potential improvements in usability, and that's always a good thing.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Glad you like it!

Hopefully this will be something you guys can realize!

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Nice idea
but who will add those notes there in the front page of the thread ?
and how can you be certain the sticky note is not only one sided opinion of someone

your idea is good
but i think only the mods would be neutral enough to determine
what his junk and what is not
like they do with the threads in general
now they would have another job

adding sticky notes (important facts) in the front page
some mods will ask for a raise
jk
edit on 1/20/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
Nice idea
and how can you be certain the sticky note is not only one sided opinion of someone

your idea is good

jk

No I meant the OP of the Thread will be adding these notes for the users to be visible on every page of the Thread so there will be not the same questions etc. on where is that video, or where is this info etc.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas
Is it possible to have something like a bar above every Thread for sticky notes?

Often a Thread gets many many pages long and essential informations are given by members throughout the Thread. With something like this sticky "space" above every page, the OP could then provide this information (videos, infos etc.) so everybody is up to date and it would prevent to answer the same question over and over again just because somebody didn't and couldn't go through all the pages.

Just a thought

Good idea.

Once threads get so long, it is often difficult to pin down where they are at in the way of subject/debate advancement.

Flagged and would Star...
edit on 20-1-2012 by redoubt because: remove double quote

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas

Originally posted by Ben81
Nice idea

your idea is good

jk

No I meant the OP of the Thread will be adding these notes for the users to be visible on every page of the Thread so there will be not the same questions etc. on where is that video, or where is this info etc.

Ah ok .. it will be at the OP discretion to add what he wants to be highlighted
that could also work

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

Excellent suggestion! I hope the site programmers can accommodate this idea (or something like it) in the future. I've long been annoyed at the number of people who repeatedly ask the same questions...obviously not reading the thread. Even for short threads I think this will help streamline the posts.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by avocadoshag
reply to post by Hellas

Excellent suggestion! I hope the site programmers can accommodate this idea (or something like it) in the future. I've long been annoyed at the number of people who repeatedly ask the same questions...obviously not reading the thread. Even for short threads I think this will help streamline the posts.

Thank you! I really need it is necessary, because it just is too hard to have an overview in the long Threads (even in the smaller ones).

At least something like the ribbon on the bottom here.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

I think that's a great idea! A perfect example would be the "All Roads Lead To Rome" thread. It has gotten so long that a slow assed reader like myself must devote nearly a whole day just to read through all the posts.

Anyway, the main reason I'm responding is just to keep this thread and your idea on page 1 to attract as much attention as possible. I'm "Hoping" that, if we can "Occupy" page 1 with this request, for a long enough period of time, "Change" is possible.

Again, that's a great idea! More than worthy of a big fat Flag for you!

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish
reply to post by Hellas

I think that's a great idea! A perfect example would be the "All Roads Lead To Rome" thread. It has gotten so long that a slow assed reader like myself must devote nearly a whole day just to read through all the posts.

Anyway, the main reason I'm responding is just to keep this thread and your idea on page 1 to attract as much attention as possible. I'm "Hoping" that, if we can "Occupy" page 1 with this request, for a long enough period of time, "Change" is possible.

Again, that's a great idea! More than worthy of a big fat Flag for you!

Thank you! Hopefully it'll work!

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Just a little *bump* because it would be really helpful. Threads are getting way to long lately. We need to be able to keep track of Key updates, comments, pics, videos etc.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Shamelessly bumping!
Come on guys, those endless threads are killing us. We need a place to put basic info up

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
2 years later, bump again. Maybe there is a way now with the new skin, to give us such a thing.

Thank you

top topics

join