It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Collection agencies and their harassment. Up yours.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I was disabled back in 2010 and was out of work for over 20 months. Work, insurance company, worker's comp, hell, even welfare all bickered as to who should float our boat. The insurance company finally paid up... a month after our house was foreclosed on. They came up $13,000 short on the house though. Should have held out for market value(this is Canada, the market is fine).

So then the phone calls start. Threatening, harassing, etc. I talked to them at first. The frequency of these calls was maddening. Finally I just blocked them. Then they got cute. Calls from an 888 number. OK, off to Google. Guess what? Collection agency. You're blocked. Another 888 number. Google again. You're blocked too. If you are getting calls from someone you don't know, Google it. The results are there.

I talked to a lawyer last year and in my situation they can only take "real property", ie: my house. They already did that and I can't blame them. I blame the insurance company for taking WELL over a year to settle my claim. What I WON'T take is the harassment trying to recuperate what they have no entitlement to. Google and block. Up yours.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I'd start just telling them to physically come get it from me.
And we'll see who leaves with the broken limbs.

They play on vulnerability, Settlments take YEARS.
Forever!
It does not need to take such a long ass time, its just a means of drawing it out as much as possible. And collection agencies can bite me.

I got a call from my ISP from my last apartment (4 months after cancelling), and they said i owed them 63 dollars. and said it would go to collections..

For 63 dollars. It makes little to no sense. I should have put up a huge fight about it. Because i wasn't told by the guy i canceled with that i owed a dime, and then i moved and didn't get mail from them again.

The system is a joke.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
My mother fights with collection agencies literally every day. She doesn't owe a thing but someone else gave away our home phone number as their number to collection agencies so they call regardless even though you clearly state that that person does not live in the premesis/you do not know them. They continue to harrass because they can't know that for sure and are instructed to continue until information or money is found. They would probably be fired if they didn't It's mostly a no trust system and a bit of a two way street, but yeah, they're extremely annoying.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Hi intrepid, been down that path myself. Study up on Universal Commercial Code and Contract Law for your State. Case in point:

You take out a loan and a finance company to buy a car, let's say. Before they give you a check, you must sign a legal document called a "contract." A contract is "binding," and can only be broken legally if both parties agree on the terms. So let's say you fail to make the payments, and the finance company "sells. conveys, or transfers" your contract over to a collection agency. Do you have contract with this company? No, you do not. Unless they can show a contract with your signature and the original contractee for the original loan, you are not bound to pay them a dime. There are many ways to go here, but please, educate your self. Remember always, friend, the best Defence is a good Offence, and the first one to "Leave the Field of Battle" loses.

The 'Lectric Law Library's Reference Room

NOTARY CERTIFICATE OF DEFAULT QUESTIONS

COMMERCIAL LIENS: A MOST POTENT WEAPON

UNDERSTANDING COMMON LAW

Freedom School Study links

Postal Law the secret weapon

Are You Free, Strawman?

Good luck to you, sir. Auto

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
They harass people because they get paid a commission based on the alleged amount owing. I put an end to one of these such agencies by demanding viable proof that I owed any money. A month passed and nothing came but another rude call. I told this woman that if she didn't send me the documents I requested that I would involve a lawyer. 2 weeks later, they sent me an invoice with a file number and an amount. When the next call came, I warned her that their "proof" was insubstantial and that I wanted an itemized bill of dates and amounts that I apparently owed. Nothing ever came. On the last phone call from them, it was a male and he was threating me. I notified him that I was recording the call (I really hadn't been) but he continued to rant (wish I could have recorded it though) LOL
I told him then that I would be taking the recording and their alleged "proof" to my lawyer along with a call log of all the dates and times they called and notes about the conversation. He actually hung up on me and no one called me back.

When you know you don't owe anything and someone says you do, DEMAND legal proof. Know your rights and exercise them.

Check out fair debt collection practices law in Canada!
Your Credit Rights
What creditors can't do
Il legal debt collection tactics
Fair Debt Collection
Here's a link to Bankruptcy Canada the laws vary from province to province.

If all else fails, call legal aid!

~note~ in this day and age, it's so easy to steal someone's identification... make sure you know you're talking to someone legitimate ... ALWAYS beware of scams!
edit on 19-1-2012 by Invariance because: see ~note~

new topics

top topics

join